Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2019, 03:03 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
Since I'm tired of repeating myself over and over again...

2 plus 2 does NOT equal 5 no matter how many times you repeat it!

You mentioned people shouldn't drive drunk, which they shouldn't but, your it seems your attitude is not just to making cars or alcohol illegal but, maybe it's ok to go door to door trying to confiscate then. That line of thought only requires a simple response; NO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM

1,161 posts, read 435,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Right from your post " COMMON SENSE rules and laws" .
Yes. I think at this point there should be changes to the laws about what to do with mentally ill and violent people, our culture, the system itself should be common sense.

I never said I was talking about common sense gun laws. That said, I do think there are plenty of common sense laws that should be enforced when it comes to guns, but I'm not talking about that anymore. Why would I continue down the same path? No one on here is going to go "You know what? He's right!!" I've given my opinion and offended some people, sorry. I'm allowed to have a differing opinion. I'm simply asking what other ideas are out there not regarding guns.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
It's obvious that this individual, just wants to keep on arguing. At this point it's getting nowhere. It's also obvious that he/she wants to ban semi automatic firearms starting with the ugly black rifles. When that doesn't work they'll move on to the next class of firearms. Until one day they are all banned from those who own them lawfully. He/she's not fooling anyone which leads me to believe that he/she doesn't even own a gun as he/she claims in the first place.

He/she has no answers either, other than banning a class of guns and criminalizing their lawful owners. Until someone can find a way to round up every crazy person, and homicidal maniac and get them off the streets for good, nothing will ever change. We already have enough laws that address both the criminal and negligent misuse of firearms along with laws that address every conceivable criminal act imaginable. We don't need any more laws especially laws that criminalize the innocent for the acts committed by the guilty. That will only breed hatred and contempt for those responsible for supporting and passing such laws. Which could then lead to another civi war.

So you're obviously not actually paying attention to the thread. I'm not trying to argue. I stated an opinion and asked for other opinions. In what snowflake, safe space world is that an argument? I have said 100 times "I'm sure there are better options" but no one is talking about them.
Every time I post "What should be done about the mentally ill? What should be done about our violent culture? What can we do to put an end to mass shootings?" the reply's are "WHy do you want to take our guns?" Some of y'all are obsessed.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:18 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
It's a lot easier to ***** about they are gonna take my guns than figure out what's going on within our culture. For or against guns and abortion defines us. Making the other side the evil doers would surely stun the people who put all they had on the line to create this nation. Now it is all down to guns and abortions.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:23 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Yes. I think at this point there should be changes to the laws about what to do with mentally ill and violent people, our culture, the system itself should be common sense.

I never said I was talking about common sense gun laws. That said, I do think there are plenty of common sense laws that should be enforced when it comes to guns, but I'm not talking about that anymore. Why would I continue down the same path? No one on here is going to go "You know what? He's right!!" I've given my opinion and offended some people, sorry. I'm allowed to have a differing opinion. I'm simply asking what other ideas are out there not regarding guns.
Better mental health care. Enforcing the current background check, out of 80,000 who have been caught lying on it, less than 1% have been prosecuted.
The police were warned about the Parkland shooter in advance and ignored it.
The FBI was warned about the nightclub shooter in Florida and ignored it.
What good are new rules going to do if the current ones are not enforced?
Trying to outlaw semi-auto rifles in unworkable. There at least 50 million already in private hands. Yet, that is where the politicians want to start. Most gun crimes are not even done with rifles.
Make using a gun in a felony a minimum 10 years. Right now, many who use guns in crimes plead it down to a misdemeanor and serve little or no time at all.
The vast majority of gun homicides, including what are listed as "mass shootings" are gang related. They don't care about laws, most don't expect to live to be 30.
More than 60% of gun deaths are suicides, most of those people would just find another way.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Better mental health care. Enforcing the current background check, out of 80,000 who have been caught lying on it, less than 1% have been prosecuted.
The police were warned about the Parkland shooter in advance and ignored it.
The FBI was warned about the nightclub shooter in Florida and ignored it.
What good are new rules going to do if the current ones are not enforced?
Trying to outlaw semi-auto rifles in unworkable. There at least 50 million already in private hands. Yet, that is where the politicians want to start. Most gun crimes are not even done with rifles.
Make using a gun in a felony a minimum 10 years. Right now, many who use guns in crimes plead it down to a misdemeanor and serve little or no time at all.
The vast majority of gun homicides, including what are listed as "mass shootings" are gang related. They don't care about laws, most don't expect to live to be 30.
More than 60% of gun deaths are suicides, most of those people would just find another way.
I think there's some great ideas here.

One thing that doesn't get talked about much in these discussions is the intelligence and the police factors. If the attacks were known about beforehand, then they should have been preventable. We continually see ways that our law enforcement agencies are failing us. I'd assume that "cleaning house" (obviously a much bigger undertaking than that would make it sound) would be a giant first step. Possibly the easiest one to do, if the government put the focus on that.

In fact, as we're so deep in election season, I'm kind of surprised to see that more presidential "hopefuls" aren't talking more about policing the police. That's obviously a huge issue. I doubt many people would have as big a problem with Beto (not that I consider him to be a real presidential hopeful) if his point had been "we need to go police station to police station and clean them up"

Old 10-18-2019, 03:52 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It’s not a permit, it is a tax stamp on the transfer of the weapon. It is a one time thing, until the weapon is again transferred.

There is no requirement for it to be stored in a safe.
There are 2 ways to own a Full automatic weapon, one is to pay a lot of money (more like $10-20K than $4-5K according to reports) and then pay a one time $200 transfer fee and wait up to 10 months to get approval to receive the weapon. The transfer requires law enforcement certification which must be signed by head of local law enforcement (normally sheriff). In some locations, they will not sign, so you can't receive the weapon.

The other way is to get a FFL SOT license, then you can buy or make a modern Full Auto weapon that is maybe $1000 with no transfer cost but must follow FFL regulations and renew every year. If they are licensed as a FFL, they are required to have a safe. That is what it sounds like might be the case.

There are also many locations that require storage in a safe or other locking mechanisms for any gun. A safe is often the only practical way to store.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
So you're obviously not actually paying attention to the thread. I'm not trying to argue. I stated an opinion and asked for other opinions. In what snowflake, safe space world is that an argument? I have said 100 times "I'm sure there are better options" but no one is talking about them.
Every time I post "What should be done about the mentally ill? What should be done about our violent culture? What can we do to put an end to mass shootings?" the reply's are "WHy do you want to take our guns?" Some of y'all are obsessed.
Go back and read some of your own posts. If anyone is obsessed with banning guns it's YOU. What kind of response do you expect from those of us who support the 2nd Amendment? Yet you claim to be a gun owner? In what snowflake, safe space world are you living in? These are your quotes not mine.

Quote:
"There is nothing unconstitutional about wanting to get rid of AR-15's."

"One might wonder how many of the mass shootings that we've seen over the past 10 years wouldn't have happened if we kept that ban in place?"

"But no, putting a ban on certain types of guns does not, in anyway, make the government tyrannical nor does it go against the constitution."

"No one needs assault rifles unless they are going to war or looking to kill a bunch of things (people, perhaps?) really fast."

"Not every type of gun should be legal."

"So what do you need a gun at your home for?"

"She has 20 kids in her class, and maybe 5 of them were misusing the toys. But it was safer for everyone for her to remove them."

"If the types of weapons that can do that amount of killing are banned and made more difficult to obtain, those instances will be less."

"Taking away the weapon that can do the most damage in the shortest amount of time while everything else gets fixed seems like a totally logical option."

"Okay, cool. Lets go after them all then.
A temporary ban, perhaps, until we can straighten out the cultural issues and mental health issues that has lead us to where we are."

"Bottom Line, the reason that I lean towards the solution of "gun grabbers" is because I don't hear anyone else trying to come up with solutions."

"If it was decided that we should turn in our guns, I'd gladly do it."

"You definitely understand that on the one hand we're talking about me turning in my firearm. On the other hand we're talking about EVERYONE turning in their firearms."

"So my SUGGESTION is that there's a temporary ban on the weapon that can do the most damage."
Anyway argue with yourself. At least for me you're not worth another minute my time.

Old 10-18-2019, 04:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
<<cue heavy sigh>>

The NFA ‘34 did not effectively nor actually ban machine guns. It established a tax on their transfer. Pay the tax, buy a machine gun.

Post ‘86 machine guns are still bought, sold, shot, and enjoyed every day, but they aren’t freely transferred as pre ‘86 machine guns are.

Prices start around $4,000-5,000.

Machine guns aren’t effectively banned. Non SOT’s are precluded from purchasing post ‘86 machine guns, but may freely buy and sell pre ‘86 machine guns.
<<cue heavy sigh>>
You are disingenuous - $200 in 1934 is over $3800 today, but more importantly, back then the average income was $474 and you could by a house on acreage for under $2000. Charging $200 was meant to be essentially a ban and had the effect of effectively banning them for the average person, requiring almost half of the average income.

Today CA, DE, DC, HI, IL, MA, MN, NJ, RI, WA, & WI all have bans on registering fully automatic weapons. And the cost and registration process essentially prohibits most from currently owning one in the other states.

What allows you to think most can buy, sell, shoot or enjoy a post 1986 weapon, - you imply that common process but you know you can not without being a fully licensed FFL SOT manufacturer or dealer and paying a licensing fee every year. Normal “Type III” dealers are allowed to easily buy and sell SBR/SBS and Suppressors, but they cannot acquire a full-auto unless they have a “law letter” or request from a police department/LE agency for demo of a specific firearm. Technically, not supposed to use as a "Type II" FFL manufacturer also. According to ATF - https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/gu...53208/download

Quote:
Section 922(o), Title 18, U.S.C., makes it unlawful to possess or transfer a machinegun, except for transfers to or possession by Federal and State agencies or the transfer or possession of a machinegun lawfully possessed before the effective date of the statute, May 19, 1986. So, machineguns “lawfully possessed” before the effective date are those manufactured before May 19, 1986 and registered in the NFRTR.

There is no exception allowing for the lawful production, transfer, possession, or use of a post-May 18, 1986 machinegun receiver as a replacement receiver on a weapon produced prior to May 19, 1986.

The manufacture of machineguns solely for testing or research purposes is not recognized as a legitimate exception to the ban on possession or transfer of firearms under 18 U.S.C. 922(o). As previously stated, manufacturers may only manufacture machineguns on or after May 19, 1986 and stockpile the same if they are manufactured and held for sale to Federal or State agencies, for distribution as “sales samples,” or for exportation.
Show any site where you can by a pre 1986 gun with a existing ATF certification for less than $10k - according to the federalist - https://thefederalist.com/2017/10/02...hine-guns-u-s/

Quote:
If you can find a legal, ATF-stamped, pre-1986 machine gun for less than $10,000, then you’re a miracle worker. A legal NFA sear — the machined part of the trigger group that makes a firearm capable of fully automatic firing — can cost anywhere from $15,000 to $50,000.

Last edited by ddeemo; 10-18-2019 at 05:11 PM..

Old 10-18-2019, 04:53 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
I'm pro 2A all the way, but you don't need a machine gun for home defense.

That doesn't mean I'm saying outlaw them, but yeah.

I have a 9mm and a 12 gauge.....I can't see in any way, in any world, how that wouldn't be enough to defend myself in my house.

I have the 9 under my couch and the shotgun next to my bed....remember, criminals/burglers have no idea where your guns are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies