Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Nobody got passes if the premiums were greater than 8% of income.

Enrollment in a healthcare sharing ministry is still a mandate.

The IRS didn't just take your word for it if you checked the box. You had to provide the insurance information next to it.
Not being able to afford premiums was a qualified pass.

People lie to the IRS.

Only a tiny fraction of returns are audited each year.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
People lived longer back then on average than they do today--if they survived childbirth.
Not according to the following!

https://u.demog.berkeley.edu/~andrew/1918/figure2.html

Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 PM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What is this “Obamacare” thing?

The ACA is legislation, not insurance. If one qualifies for subsidy, one must acquire their insurance via an exchange. If one does not qualify for a subsidy, one can shop for insurance beyond the exchange. This has been true all along.

One could have driven a truck through the exemptions to avoid penalties for failure to insure their healthcare risks.
Well, yes. You can buy one of the plans that are offered on the exchange without going through the exchange. There's a few states that allow non-ACA plans to also be sold, like Ohio. That was the whole thing with the mandate though. Yes, you could buy one of those plans but previously you would have still been on the hook for penalty for not having insurance.

I mean, bluntly speaking if California allowed those plans to be sold, I would have one. The cost of them plus the penalty is much less than an ACA-compliant plan. But California, like most states, does not allow them to be sold. I can buy plans from Kaiser or HealthNet and they cost exactly the same either way. Those are the only options left. Not entirely ObamaCares doing as it's California rules that ultimately make insurance so unaffordable by making outlawing non-ACA plans.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
My daughter turned 30 this year, so she was forced into a higher tier with an 87% increase.

Thank you President Obama, you rat bastard.
Individual Plans have been historically age rated.

Individual Plans are also geo rated. It matters how many and type of claims made in your geo rated area.

Both of these factors were true before the ACA and remain true today.

The age rating thing is a significant departure from most countries with Universal HC. That may because of mandates and the public’s compliance with mandates. Being the fattest population in the developed world is also a factor. The older we get, the fatter we get. 1/3 of the US population is Diabetic or pre Diabetic. It’s an epidemic.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So she got a taste of Obama's redistribution scheme. I wonder, was she also taken in by Obama and did she support Obamacare when it was cool for the young to do?

Does she understand that when she works for someone else just because her policy didn't skyrocket that it is because her employer took the hit instead. People don't understand the value of employer benefits.
HC insurance info the US is age rated. Older enrollees pay more than 2X the premium of younger employees. This was true long before the ACA and remains true today.

It could be neutralized by charging younger people more to offset the healthcare costs of the older population.

Large group rates for employers are also age rated.

Nothing to do with the ACA.

Old 10-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, yes. You can buy one of the plans that are offered on the exchange without going through the exchange. There's a few states that allow non-ACA plans to also be sold, like Ohio. That was the whole thing with the mandate though. Yes, you could buy one of those plans but previously you would have still been on the hook for penalty for not having insurance.

I mean, bluntly speaking if California allowed those plans to be sold, I would have one. The cost of them plus the penalty is much less than an ACA-compliant plan. But California, like most states, does not allow them to be sold. I can buy plans from Kaiser or HealthNet and they cost exactly the same either way. Those are the only options left. Not entirely ObamaCares doing as it's California rules that ultimately make insurance so unaffordable by making outlawing non-ACA plans.
The number of insurers willing to engage in the Individual Plan markets have been declining for 25 years, long before the ACA. It is my understanding both California and Texas had to take action to ensure at least 2 options, long before the ACA. Subsidizing insurers and making their ability to write more lucrative lines depended on a presence in the Individual Plan market.

It’s tough for insurers to make a buck in the Individual Plan Market which is why insurers have been exiting for 25 years.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:21 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So she got a taste of Obama's redistribution scheme. I wonder, was she also taken in by Obama and did she support Obamacare when it was cool for the young to do?

Does she understand that when she works for someone else just because her policy didn't skyrocket that it is because her employer took the hit instead. People don't understand the value of employer benefits.
She has a brain so she didn’t support that crap he was peddling. And yes she got a lesson in employer benefits from me. My employer had to change coverage because the increases weren’t sustainable. They’re self-insured now. The plan isn’t as good as it used to be, but I pay almost half of what my daughter pays. And my coverage is for two people.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 PM

40 posts, read 44,494 times
[quote=middle-aged mom;56432308]Aliera is very clear. It is not insurance nor does it replace the need for insurance. There are no guarantees your medical expenses will be reimbursed.

https://www.calhealth.net/Aliera-car...ra-care-is-NOT

Faith- based sharing ministries typically require members to refrain from substances, maintain a healthy weight, belong to a Christian church, negotiate fees with providers and pray for sick members.

I prefer certainty, especially if I am facing the incredible uncertainty of a serious disease.

I can and do appreciate that many find such ministries preferable to insurance for the obvious reason, cost.[/Q

Aliera is one of the least restrictive when it comes to typical rules that some of the other companies have.
In regards to religion they don't require that you belong to a church, they say they accept all faiths as long as it follows a stated philosophy of theirs. Yes illegal drug use would be a problem and I'm not sure about marijuana, I don't use so I'm not really concerned. Members do not negotiate, Aliera does all the negotiating, it's something they handle internally, and they don't keep you waiting if you are at your doctor's appointment. I haven't been asked to pray for anyone, but if I were asked, I would. I have used Aliera and from what I have seen so far, although it isn't insurance (there is some technical reason why they say that aren't, but I don't recall), every time that I have used it, it was just like any medical insurance that I have had in the past. I can't testify to any major medical issues with Aliera though, but from what I have read, the coverage is pretty decent, depending on the plan of course.

This is for Aliera, the parent company is Trinity https://www.trinityhealthshare.org/m...lieracare-vpp/ .

Last edited by colt22; 10-17-2019 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Add additional info

Old 10-18-2019, 05:07 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
It's not referred as Obama Care anymore since President Obama is out of office. It's the Affordable Care Act.
"It's not referred as Obama Care anymore" and what are your credentials to make such a claim?

"since President Obama is out of office." And that is relevant, how?

Even obama said he LIKED the name and that it was OK to use it. He was PROUD it was called that.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:12 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The number of insurers willing to engage in the Individual Plan markets have been declining for 25 years, long before the ACA. It is my understanding both California and Texas had to take action to ensure at least 2 options, long before the ACA. Subsidizing insurers and making their ability to write more lucrative lines depended on a presence in the Individual Plan market.

It’s tough for insurers to make a buck in the Individual Plan Market which is why insurers have been exiting for 25 years.
You know, it's infuriating what you're doing - and I see liberals do it ALL THE TIME: they refuse to acknowledge the damage that their liberal policies have done. You're now saying that insurers leaving the individual market was always a "thing," and that the void in that market has nothing to do with Obamacare. (Sorry, but I have trouble calling it the Affordable Care Act when it has caused insurance to be unaffordable for so many.)

It is not true what you say about individual plans always been exiting. That was a deluge out once Obamacare took effect, and I would know: doing my approximately 20 years of self-employment, I had a host of options. (My last pre-Obamacare year I reviewed about 7 or 8 insurance companies before settling on the one I went with, for $450 a month and a relatively low deductible.) Now, I have two options, and some counties in the country - about a third of them I believe, had NO choice - just one single insurer - until Obama required at least two.

And this impact was predictable. Think about it. Obama is requiring all insurers to cover pre-X conditions, and having no requirements on the purchaser. Thus, a big bulk of people don't buy insurance until they need it, and the insurer ends up with costly customers who take out much more than they pay in, collectively. (The death spiral was predicted.) No wonder my pre-O insurer told me the company pulled out of 48 states (in the individual market) when I tried to renew with them that first year.

Analogy time: What if a a car insurer told customers they could buy insurance AFTER they crashed the car? They'd go bankrupt inside a month, with their customers suing them for breach of contract when they couldn't pay out.

Can't you admit it? In the quest to give free or almost free insurance to lower-income people, millions of middle class people are stuck with suffocating premiums with ridiculous deductibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies