Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2019, 07:46 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
What is an example of a line that can’t be crossed?
Think of ordering the killing a foreign enemy (combatants and non combatants) with a drone or by other means. The executive office can order such, but that same person is beyond the executive branch domestically.

MS-13 as an example.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/legality...r-domestic-law

Old 10-19-2019, 07:48 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Ha, no I don't think he breaks the law, but I do think Trump plays the Media and the Democrats a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
For those issuing a blanket statement that President Trump is not 'breaking the law', your argument would be more persuasive if you do the following:

Explain the emolument clause, including what it prohibits and allows. Don't forget the part about 'save with the consent of Congress'.

Then, explain how Mr. Trump is not violating the clause.

Hint: the emolument clause does not demand that a 'profit' be taken. The argument that the Doral will be providing services, at 'cost', to hundreds of foreign staff is not valid.

I will note that the Doral seemingly has hundreds of employees. These employees must be paid. If the hotel were vacant during June 2020, they would still be paid, and the hotel resort will lose money. If the G7 members come and and pay for rooms and services 'at cost', that does provide money to pay the salaries of the staff for that month, which is a benefit to Mr. Trump.

Anyway, proceed.
Pilot, it’s for you.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:53 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
And we know like any businessman worth his grain of salt he will inflate his cost when selling to the government. Its a rule.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:55 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
I've seen numerous headlines regarding our corrupt president's latest lawlessness. This is my favorite:

Trump Awards A Massive Government Contract – To Himself

Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That one would be you👆🏾

The entire job of the executive branch is to EXECUTE the laws of the land, not achieve its goals by any means necessary.
You're wrong and that's a false dichotomy. No one EVER suggested by any means necessary. I made a rudimentary example and you went off the deep end in trying to redefine my example.

Move on

Old 10-19-2019, 08:17 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
The Bedbug Summit. lets have it.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IF Trump is donating his salary I couldn’t imagine him NOT donating his salary to a organization that didn’t have a tax-exempt status. I’m sure his lawyers fixed it for him. Trumps to greedy NOT to have made sure he’s not losing out on that amount of money.

Just curious here and it’s your decision to tell me or not, are you planning to vote for him again?
Trump's philanthropic salary donation was eaten up in 1/2 of a single one of those weekly vacations he takes. The ones he said he would never take. He has already taken more vacations than Obama did in 8 years.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:33 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Trump's philanthropic salary donation was eaten up in 1/2 of a single one of those weekly vacations he takes. The ones he said he would never take. He has already taken more vacations than Obama did in 8 years.

But I deserve it. I'm the Chosen One, The King, The Genius. The Liar in Chief. My businesses are doing bad, I need the extra grift. Its tax money I have access to and no one seems to be able to stop me.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:40 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post

The Bedbug Summit. lets have it.
If just ONE got bit by one of those bedbugs His hotel would be ruined.....

Old 10-19-2019, 09:22 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
As I understand it, the Doral has been losing money for a long time, and Trump wants to pump it back up.

This is the very definition of an emoluments violation: the president awarding a contract to .... HIMSELF! It doesn't matter if he gives them a "discount." He is still self-serving, something he has been doing during his whole administration - giving himself tax breaks, charging the government millions for the use of his own golf courses, hotels and towers, making sure his kids get lots of emoluments, too. Criminal behavior.
This is the very definition of corruption and a clear violation of the Constitution.

U.S. taxpayers have been footing the bill for Trump to wine and dine foreign leaders at Mar-a-Lago. So perhaps he thought it was no big deal to get taxpayers to cover the costs of upgrades and security renovations to Doral.

Republicans have turned a blind eye to this. They also seem to have shrugged off directing taxpayers to foot the bill for military and government types to stay at his golf resort in Scotland.

But this Doral business seems to be a bridge too far, and Republicans, well a few of them at least, are expressing that they find this "dismaying."

Or perhaps they find Trump putting Putin's plan to get Syria's warm water ports "dismaying" and this business of violating the Constitution "concerning.

Whatever, Republicans are becoming restless.

Wonder what Trump will have to do get them to "troubling?"

Withhold U.S. military aid to a nation under attack until it manufactures something to smear his political opponents with?

How about finding out Trump's attorney is involved in Russian mob activities? Think that will get them off the dime?

Word to the wise. Avoid 5th Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies