Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 12:42 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Oklahoma, generally speaking, is a backward wasteland. Gas is cheaper still in Venezeuala or Saudi Arabia.

And I don't get the point. You realize that CA taxes gas, right? That accounts for the difference. CA has public transportation, so it's not like you need to drive. And salaries are much higher. CA gas is still cheap compared to most of the first world.

The U.S. should have a national gas tax that triples the overall price of tax, like in most first world countries, and then use the revenues to invest in public transit and clean energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
real estate economics

better place -> more demand -> higher prices

Old 10-18-2019, 12:45 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The OP did not claim that San Francisco doesn't contribute to the national economy. He claimed that their policies are making life more expensive for its residents in the areas of fuel and electricity, as compared with Oklahoma City.
But this is untrue. SF has extensive public transportation, which is much cheaper than operating a vehicle in OKC. And SF has moderate weather and small apartments, so energy bills are much lower than in OKC, which has extreme weather year-round.

I always laugh when people say big cities are "so expensive". When I lived in NYC, my energy bill was almost zero, my gas costs were zero, and my salary was quite high. I lived in a small apartment, used transit and barely needed furniture. 100x better living than in some giant McMansion in a cornfield, and driving a gas-guzzling pickup 30 miles to some rundown Walmart.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:47 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,807,433 times
I've lived in Oklahoma.

Scenery is nothing to write home about. Ice storms in the winter. Hotter than hell in the summer. Wind blows like a banshee.

But if cheap gas is your criteria, then go for it.

Old 10-18-2019, 12:53 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've lived in Oklahoma.

Scenery is nothing to write home about. Ice storms in the winter. Hotter than hell in the summer. Wind blows like a banshee.

But if cheap gas is your criteria, then go for it.

Well, I can't argue with you there. Weather and scenery are 100 times better in San Francisco than in Oklahoma City.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:20 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I always laugh when people say big cities are "so expensive". When I lived in NYC, my energy bill was almost zero, my gas costs were zero, and my salary was quite high. I lived in a small apartment, used transit and barely needed furniture. 100x better living than in some giant McMansion in a cornfield, and driving a gas-guzzling pickup 30 miles to some rundown Walmart.
I'm not rural, so I live close enough to Wal-Mart to walk to it as I did yesterday, and it isn't rundown.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Well, I can't argue with you there. Weather and scenery are 100 times better in San Francisco than in Oklahoma City.
So profoundly true. Arcadia Lake set in the Cross Timbers along Route 66 is as scenic as it gets in the Oklahoma City area.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:27 PM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times
Quote:

Your lack of caring about Oklahoma does not diminish its considerable importance to our nation.
As a former midwesterner I like Oklahoma and frequently recommended that young people look at OKC when they want to relocate. I just don't think Oklahoma serves as a good example when someone is intent on bashing California. There is little to compare that is valid between the two states. You might as well compare Oklahoma to Germany or France. I doubt that either state would choose to make the comparison that OP does in his constant lame attempts to bash California.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:47 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Oklahoma, generally speaking, is a backward wasteland. Gas is cheaper still in Venezeuala or Saudi Arabia.

And I don't get the point. You realize that CA taxes gas, right? That accounts for the difference. CA has public transportation, so it's not like you need to drive. And salaries are much higher. CA gas is still cheap compared to most of the first world.

The U.S. should have a national gas tax that triples the overall price of tax, like in most first world countries, and then use the revenues to invest in public transit and clean energy.
I am in fact a strong supporter of public transit. However, one inescapable fact about public transit is that, in most cases, it needs a high population density in order to be successful. Most First World countries have much higher population densities than we do. One could quibble over which countries are and are not "First World," but if you consider the 10 countries with the highest Gross Domestic Product, only two of them (Brazil and Canada) have lower population densities.

My point being, there are large swaths of the United States in which public transit will never be anything more than a tiny niche player in terms of overall mobility. I wish it weren't so, as I would like to see a much more robust network of public transit systems around the country. But our low-density, spread-out nature precludes effective transit in all too many cases.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
PA doesn't use a smog specific blend, checkmate

I just paid $2.69 per gallon.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies