Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 09:25 AM

17,203 posts, read 12,099,241 times

Advertisements

I think what’s really at play here is simply some old dudes having some nostalgia looking at the glory days of their youth with rose tinted glasses. Our society has never been better.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:31 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,215,255 times
William Barr is lecturing people about religion? Seriously?

Would he like people to act more Christian-like? Is that what he is saying or is it just a Trump-motivated attack on the left?

It seems rather irrational for Barr to do that, as he stands by while Trump green-lights a slaughter of innocent people. How does he explain condoning such unChristian-like behavior?

Let the hypocritical Mr. Holier Than Thou blast away with his hate for liberals and his christian-sharia law BS, because nobody cares what this traitor to the US has to say. As someone who has hitched his wagon to the most unholy of administrations and is not looking out for the country's interests, he is not credible.

There is no 'organized threat' threat against religion in this country, but there is an organized group of wealthy theocrats attempting to heavily influence our secular government.

..."It was deeply shocking to us as advocates for international religious freedom," as the region "is a rare example of success for U.S. military intervention post-911 — a showcase for religious freedom and democracy," the letter said of Trump's decision. A copy was made available to the Catholic News Service.

"It undercuts our own trust that this administration is truly committed to international religious freedom and the survival of religious minorities in the Middle East," it said, adding that "the proposed invasion zone includes key historic Syriac Christian towns and churches, all Kurdish majority towns, the population, and key administrative and education centers."

https://www.ncronline.org/news/world...is-kurds-syria

Old 10-18-2019, 09:35 AM

1,768 posts, read 565,548 times
Can any Christian provide a specific example that demonstrates how their personal religious liberty has been attacked or denied?

Have you been arrested for your religious beliefs?
Has your church been closed by the government?
Are you unable to obtain the religious book or tract of your choice?
Have you been fired from a job because of your religious beliefs?
Have you been denied access to housing because of your religious beliefs?
Have you been denied service at a business because of your religious beliefs?

Anything?

What I see in Barr's statements, and the complaints I've heard from Christians who insist they are under daily assault is that people, movies, tv shows, songs, websites and ideas that they don't like or agree with simply exist. And no one is making any effort to hide or remove the things or people that Christians object to, and they do not want to see, hear or know about anything that they don't approve of.

That's not an attack on your religious liberty. That's just you being a dick.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Such hypocrisy is actually what is driving people away from religion in my opinion. Too many in power abuse religion to strike out at people rather than spread a message of love like Jesus.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:41 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,387,591 times
If a sign or policy said "No conservative Christians allowed!" or something similar, then the "War on Religious Freedom" might carry more weight!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:59 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,064,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Another conspiracy theory.

Nobody's marshalling anything, it's just organic change. Attitudes and norms swing one way, then swing another, it's always like that. Barr is trying to make some kind of sinister plot out of it, but there is no plot.

He needs to invent some boogeyman under the bed to scare people, that's what they do best, pitch fear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
How do you square that idea with the fact that crime rates are down? You must watch too much news that tells you about a stabbing on the other side of the country 5 minutes after it happens and thinking it affects you in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The waning of organized religion is one of the best things that has happened on earth in my lifetime. I am thrilled to see that the vast majority of educated people have turned against fairy tales told by rapists and scam artists.

And society is much better off. Crime is down, people are healthier and happier, and they have more time to spend with their families than wasting time with fairy tales.
Yet one of my local news channels just ran this story, last night:

Quote:
Minnesota Student Survey shows more are struggling with mental health

Quote:
The data shows more students report having long-term mental health, behavioral or emotional problems, increasing from 18 percent in 2016 to 23 percent in 2019. The rate has doubled since 2013 for young women in 11th grade.

“That’s really troubling,” said Minnesota Education Commissioner Mary Cathryn Ricker.
https://kstp.com/news/minnesota-stud...ealth/5527761/

Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Yet one of my local news channels just ran this story, last night:

https://kstp.com/news/minnesota-stud...ealth/5527761/
So what's your point exactly? That over the last 3 years religion has suddenly declined and caused that?

Old 10-18-2019, 10:20 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
Quote:
I think so. And some of the "christian" churches in the Twin Cities here now wave rainbow flags and have gone off in a very political direction - more about social engineering than they are about spiritual well-being.

And the Left wonders why we have people "going postal" and losing it. I think this is a very large component of it.
Those churches hanging rainbow flags haven't stopped you from being able to practice your religion. Because it makes you feel uncomfortable it is not an attack on religious freedom.

The fact you don't understand what religious freedom means is disturbing and indicative of the narrow minded thinking from many.

Religious freedom exists or those flags wouldn't be flying and you wouldn't be able to find a religion that makes you feel those flags flying are a bad thing.

There is nothing in this country 'attacking' your right to your religion. The fact you are uncomfortable is on YOU.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,461,411 times
Quote:
Yeah. Fred has to rally up the evangelicals because they were extremely PISSED about Trump's actions in Syria. That - and it serves as a good distraction to the corrupt activities that we are learning about Trump's personal attorney running around in Ukraine and God knows where else.

Gotta shore up the base and all.

Old 10-18-2019, 10:30 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times
And this 'attack on religious freedom' is the cause conservatives have used for years to spark fear and hopefully motivate CHRISTIAN conservatives (they aren't speaking for all religions being attacked -- be very clear on that).....to vote.

A few years ago in another state, a local pastor developed a book for a program he had designed for his church. It was one of those new age Christian churches.

When it hit Amazon, it was the number one religious seller the week it was released. Amazon reviewed the purchases and a HUGE order was placed by the church itself for these books to be used in the program they offered at the church. The requirements for a top seller is that the sales can't be a bulk order for an institution. Makes sense. It is suppose to be individual sales. So the book lost it's #1 status.

The pastor freaked his congregation out and claimed it was an attack on religious freedom to knock his book off the number one spot (remember it was in the category of religious content -- not all Amazon). Amazon clearly explained why it had nothing to do with content and purely to do with the kinds of sales, but that didn't stop the congregation from jumping on the -- oh look they are shutting us down.

First of all, sales were never stopped. Nobody was stopped form buying the book, reading the book, going to that church.

But folks were all over the 'attack on religious freedom'.

When I took the time to explain to my sweet, gullible, 'religious' neighbor (keep in mind I was going to another church every Sunday, raising my children with a religion ) -- her response was - -oh well maybe this wasn't an attack on religion but there is an attack on Christians.

No....no it wasn't.

In New York City, retailers encourage their clerks to say Happy Holidays to be inclusive of all religions. There are lots of folks buying gifts during the season that do not celebrate Christmas. Happy Holidays doesn't infringe on your ability to celebrate your holiday, it includes others that may not share the same faith.

But Trump uses this as some attack on your religious freedom. Nope it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.