Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 02:25 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well we could have followed the play book that Trumps predecessors have followed.
1. Complain
2. Capitulate
3 pretend its great for the USA and play dumb.

I detest Trump, I detest the sellouts who sold us out to China and Mexico even more.

Trump's election is no accident.

We have been taking it in the ass on foreign trade for decades.

The good news is August 2019 exports to China are greater than August 2018.

August 2019 imports from China are lower than August 2018 imports.

Of course, this means that the trade imbalance with China (normally 4-5 to 1) has moved ever so slightly in our favor.

Is it the start of a trend?

Maybe...too early to tell, but it sure beats doing nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Guess the world's parasites will have to find a new host to feast off of. Globalism is nothing more than global communism, so here's me not shedding a tear for that push towards tyranny.

By the way OP, how did you feel about Obama's 500% tariff on Chinese steel? Any thoughts you would like to share about Obama's trade war with China? Or are you just mad that Trump was the one to really stand up to China with a wide variety of tarrifs, instead of being a wimp about it?

Also OP, most Americans have not noticed any negative effects from the trade war. Most people are obvious. Not so much the case in China. Everyone in China knows damn well there is a trade war, and they are not winning it. That is because Trump was right. Trade wars are easy to win, especially when you hardly send anything to China in the first place.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
China is using it's economy as a weapon, and we're just supposed to blithely go along? That would be actively stupid.

I have a friend who's a PhD economist. Until he retired from there, worked for a very well know global economic organization. When Trump made the first moves in the trade war against China, I brought it up with him, expecting him to have the attitude displayed in the article clip. He didn't. He was all for going after China. Why? Because he does some consulting work for companies trying to do business in China. He saw what they had to go through, and know's how Chinese trade policy works. So he know we either pin their ears back now, for lose big in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Everybody loses.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Trump is the first President to stop kicking the can down the road, and address the issue. It may cause some pain initially, but it paying dividends.

Oh look. Another day, another hate Trump thread from Crazee Cat Lady!
I don't consider this a hate thread. Do you all think Reuters is fake news now too?

Just an article reporting the news.
Yes, of course, I think there is a trade imbalance and it is due mostly to bad trade decisions in the past. I understand that something needs to be done...but, the last time we decided to use tariffs and trade wars in America, we ushered in a World Wide Depression....so these things have to be done very carefully, because the economies are somewhat connected, and it can cause a domino effect.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Guess the world's parasites will have to find a new host to feast off of. Globalism is nothing more than global communism, so here's me not shedding a tear for that push towards tyranny.

By the way OP, how did you feel about Obama's 500% tariff on Chinese steel? Any thoughts you would like to share about Obama's trade war with China? Or are you just mad that Trump was the one to really stand up to China with a wide variety of tariffs, instead of being a wimp about it?
Obama's tariffs were about anti-dumping and targeted only specific types of steel and certain companies in China. Trump

is going after many of our Global trading partners, all at once. You have to be careful when dealing with tariffs, many people think that the World Wide Great Depression was began when the US started waging trade wars, and pushing tariffs.
Also OP, most Americans have not noticed any negative effects from the trade war. Most people are obvious. Not so much the case in China. Everyone in China knows damn well there is a trade war, and they are not winning it. That is because Trump was right. Trade wars are easy to win, especially when you hardly send anything to China in the first place.

I have noticed some negative effects from the tariffs, I am paying more for gas, groceries and durable goods. If you are on a tight budget, you notice....and oh, I think the farmers have noticed, especially the soy bean farmers.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
China is using it's economy as a weapon, and we're just supposed to blithely go along? That would be actively stupid.

I have a friend who's a PhD economist. Until he retired from there, worked for a very well know global economic organization. When Trump made the first moves in the trade war against China, I brought it up with him, expecting him to have the attitude displayed in the article clip. He didn't. He was all for going after China. Why? Because he does some consulting work for companies trying to do business in China. He saw what they had to go through, and know's how Chinese trade policy works. So he know we either pin their ears back now, for lose big in the long run.

Then lets hope he is right.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:01 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
People with real jobs, who actually are dealing with this (not clueless unhinged people posting hate threads anonymously on a message board or “unbiased journalists”) are seeing rapid manufacturing flight from China.

No, many of those jobs are not moving to the US, but Chinese companies are losing a massive amount of business as US companies shift to Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, etc.

It’s working. Sorry.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
People with real jobs, who actually are dealing with this (not clueless unhinged people posting hate threads anonymously on a message board or “unbiased journalists”) are seeing rapid manufacturing flight from China.

No, many of those jobs are not moving to the US, but Chinese companies are losing a massive amount of business as US companies shift to Thailand, Vietnam, Mexico, etc.

It’s working. Sorry.

"Clueless unhinged people posting hate threads anonymously on a message board?"
Well like I said, I don't see where there is hate anywhere in that article or my posting on it. It is just news.
They aren't calling names or making accusations, they are just relaying factual data.

You can't get much more neutral than Reuters. If you all are going to be this touchy I guess its a good thing
that you don't follow the real news. Stick with Faux News and Info Wars. They will tell you everything that you want to hear.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:31 AM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times
Quote:
"Clueless unhinged people posting hate threads anonymously on a message board?"
Well like I said, I don't see where there is hate anywhere in that article or my posting on it. It is just news.
They aren't calling names or making accusations, they are just relaying factual data.

You can't get much more neutral than Reuters. If you all are going to be this touchy I guess its a good thing
that you don't follow the real news. Stick with Faux News and Info Wars. They will tell you everything that you want to hear.
Again, I work with this stuff first hand, do you?

I’m guessing you are just another TDS afflicted armchair economist with an internet degree from CNN university.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:35 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Everybody loses.
Do you even know why Trump is trying to change China's trade practices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies