Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 03:42 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
in itself an interesting topic, and not that clear an answer. Bill and JFK did pretty well for themselves. Are we talking in office or not. and perhaps literally IN the office or not. I think Clinton might win in that last one. I think JFK might be on top with quality. Marilyn would be hard to beat.

I ALMOST give Clinton a half a pass as can you imagine having to wake up to Hillary every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 03:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Wonder which one dropped the most F-bombs while in office? Truman was notorious for foul language, as was Teddy Roosevelt. Trump would be right up there, for sure. Carter would come in dead last.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:52 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDann636 View Post
Pilot1 would still have us in Vietnam. Even Trump laughs at that

the domino theory was pushed as verbatim truth in the 1950s..it assumed a MONOLITHIC communist enemy..when Russia and china split over political doctrine the theory came apart even its originator was worried it was being taken to literally and out-of-context..BLAME Richard Nixon and conservative war-hawks for continuing to push that BS..then ask yourself is "winning" so important that even if the killing is for a nonsensical reason we still must somehow win....it is astounding so many people still don't get it

O the stock market WON

Old 10-20-2019, 03:53 PM

103 posts, read 52,825 times
Default We definitely lost in Vietnam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We won militarily in Vietnam, no question. We lost at home due to political pressure. All an insurgent Army has to do is make it not worth it for the outsider to be there anymore. The domestic political fallout made it not worth it anymore. Thank Walter Cronkite. The far left progressive who stated that his job was not to report facts, but MOLD PUBLIC OPINION.
News flash: Vietnam is currently a communist country, to imply that we won that war in any way shape or form is disrespectful of the brave 50,000 plus service members that died during that war. 50,000 plus of America's finest were killed, but for what? We gained nothing in that war.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
News flash: Vietnam is currently a communist country, to imply that we won that war in any way shape or form is disrespectful of the brave 50,000 plus service members that died during that war. 50,000 plus of America's finest were killed, but for what? We gained nothing in that war.

Did I say we "won" it? No. I said we won it militarily and lost it politically at home. Vietnam is Communist to a degree but allows capitalism as evidenced by all the manufacturing going on there now and the U.S. is a trading partner with Vietnam. So, they are no longer an "enemy", which I think was a good outcome.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
in itself an interesting topic, and not that clear an answer. Bill and JFK did pretty well for themselves. Are we talking in office or not. and perhaps literally IN the office or not. I think Clinton might win in that last one. I think JFK might be on top with quality. Marilyn would be hard to beat.
Great points. Do agree that JFK had better taste. Bill isn’t too picky....

Old 10-20-2019, 04:12 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
I read an article recently stating that "Obama ordered over 26,000 bombs to be dropped during the last year of his presidency alone", so I'm curious where I can find information on that and bomb stats of all other US Presidents.
Do we include the weaponry Trump sold to the Saudis so they can bomb Yemen instead of America bombing them?

Which President didn't occupy, invade, and bomb?

Old 10-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Do we include the weaponry Trump sold to the Saudis so they can bomb Yemen instead of America bombing them?

Which President didn't occupy, invade, and bomb?
I hope so, because all those planes, parts, supplies and other stuff created, and retained a lot of high paying American jobs in the U.S.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:14 PM

103 posts, read 52,825 times
to Pilot 1, How could we have won militarily, then surrender in the end?

American's were tired of seeing nightly news casts of firefights and American's getting killed. The surviving solider's were spat upon and worse when they came back home. Veterans back then got no respect at all.

We lost the war, sure we may have won some battles. The final outcome is what counts.
All those great American Patriots lost their lives for nothing! It's sad when you take a second to think about it.

Old 10-20-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
to Pilot 1, How could we have won militarily, then surrender in the end?

I may have missed that one. When did we surrender to North Vietnam? Or did we just leave?

Quote:
American's were tired of seeing nightly news casts of firefights and American's getting killed. The surviving solider's were spat upon and worse when they came back home. Veterans back then got no respect at all.

We lost the war, sure we may have won some battles. The final outcome is what counts.
All those great American Patriots lost their lives for nothing! It's sad when you take a second to think about it.

We won EVERY major and meaningful engagement with the N. Vietnamese and Viet Cong. Over 1.1 Million N. Vietnamese and Viet Cong soldiers died. I don't think our soldiers died for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies