Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will republicans vote to remove Trump?
Yes, they will. 12 8.22%
No, they will not. 115 78.77%
I have no idea! 19 13.01%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 07:16 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,818 times

Advertisements

Zzzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 07:18 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,163,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It's exactly non-existent!

You may not like Trump, but Republicans do.

A Republican Senator that votes to remove Trump from office will be primaried and defeated.

This is not a grey area.
LOL.

You actually believe that Trumps Republican Senators like him?
You actually believe that?

Staying in office to save your hide and 'liking' are two entirely different things. Nobody can stand the guy.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I go back and forth on whether it’ll happen, but I think it’s definitely possible.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/...77256239718401
Wallace needs to go. I can’t listen to this guy anymore. Far overrated and his viewing ratings are dropping faster than he even can imagine.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nope. Republicans believe Trump is anointed by God and anything he does that’s illegal doesn’t matter since it’s for the greater good of restoring “traditional values” in our country. And since Trump hates the right people and the right people hate him, there’s nothing Trump could possibly do that would make people rethink that belief. And even if elected officials don’t privately believe that, they are beholden to Trump’s base that believes that very strongly. The Divine Right of Kings is in action today in the USA.
I want some of what you're smoking. How do you explain the overwhelming backlash against Trump from GOP senators re the Syria withdrawal? Including stinging words from Mitch McConnell? You still think they believe that Trump is 'anointed by God?' I want some of what you're smoking.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
I think the possibility small, but it is non-zero.

It's true that right now most Trump voters would punish their R congress critters if they voted to impeach.

But their electoral fury would be as nothing compared to how D voters would feel if their congress critters refused to take Trump's behavior seriously enough to at least hold hearings. And that's the main reason why Pelosi is going through with this. Now I'm sure Pelosi feels as D voters feel, but where once I would have said she wouldn't go forward without being sure of the evidence, now I'm not so certain.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility that Trump does something bat**** crazy in the next few months. He's neither very stable nor much of a genius.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-20-2019 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 07:31 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nope. Republicans believe Trump is anointed by God and anything he does that’s illegal doesn’t matter since it’s for the greater good of restoring “traditional values” in our country. And since Trump hates the right people and the right people hate him, there’s nothing Trump could possibly do that would make people rethink that belief. And even if elected officials don’t privately believe that, they are beholden to Trump’s base that believes that very strongly. The Divine Right of Kings is in action today in the USA.
Actually I agree with this. I am a die hard conservative as I am sure you already know. I personally do not like Trump and I believe he does not live the conservative values I believe in. I also believe he cannot control his mouth and IMO he is incompetent. I do not however believe he has done anything impeachable and as everyone should know Biden also threatened the Ukrainians aid money if they did not do something for him. That being said I agree with you that Republicans will never remove him even if he did do something impeachable. Impeachment would only aid the leftist movement and we conservatives would never do anything that would help them. Yes we do intend to restore traditional values as much as we can and we certainly must see the moral decay stop. We also wish to see government become smaller and more accountable to the constitution. Removing Trump will only harm our efforts. I find Trump distasteful and brash but I will hold my nose and vote for him because the alternative is so awful. Still I wish our man was Cruz or Rubio but for now we are stuck with Trump.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:39 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I go back and forth on whether it’ll happen, but I think it’s definitely possible.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/...77256239718401
That's a big fat no. Here's the thing: Everything the Dems think they're going to impeach Trump over presently is stuff that every President has been doing and getting away with for the past 100 years or so. If you want the GOP to eat their own, it better be pretty blatant and absolutely unprecedented.

Example: In order to prevent investigation into Fast and Furious, Barack Obama and Eric Holder refused to hand over evidence and ignored multiple federal court rulings demanding that they cooperate. Was Obama impeached for it? George W, Bill Clinton, Bush Sr, Ronald Reagan ... keep on going, all of them were up to some corrupt secret BS that they hid and obstructed over. None of them were impeached and removed. So you need to point out something really big,, unique and completely provable that Donald Trump did that nobody else ever got away with before the Republicans are going for it. Anything less is just a big fat waste of time that'll **** off the American people and guarantee Trump's re-election.

Now you could easily get a Democrat to vote to impeach a Republican over a parking ticket or vice versa, and your card carrying members of the respective parties would see it as the most legit thing in the history of the world. Remember the GOP going after Bill Clinton? Everyone voted right down party lines and thankfully the GOP didn't have 2/3 of the Senate. Trotting out the ole impeachment stick for a duly elected president was reckless back then and it's just as reckless right now.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 PM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
US Senators' constituents aren't only from the same party as the senator.
True, but a republican senator would be foolhardy to rely on democratic voters to vote for him/her vs the democratic they are running against. Even IF he/she voted to remove Trump from office.

Plus, they have to worry about other republicans challenging them too. I’m sure the challenger will use the vote as the main focus of their campaign.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
They might.

Mulvaney said Trump still thinks he is in the hospitality business on Fox today.

Trump slipping into his past.

Old 10-20-2019, 07:58 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Any Republican who votes to remove Trump will be commiting political Hari-kari.

Not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies