Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 09:55 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,498 times

Advertisements

No, but it would be better if foolish, selfish, and non-traditional values were not subsidized by the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
A large part of Trump's appeal is he's giving the religious right their dream justices. They are now going to have the opportunity to roll back civil rights and social progress 50-70 years. If they can replace RBG that will seal the deal. Get ready for abortion bans, total criminalization of sodomy, prayer and Bible study in public schools, creationism taught in science class as an alternative to evolution, nationwide abstinence only and tight regulations on birth control, criminal charges for women who cross state lines to get an abortion, heavily censored media with everything required to promote or at least not be offensive to an evangelical Christian worldview, and likely much, much more as drastic measures will be taken to roll back our society and culture to the 1950s. I also think a lot of blue laws will make a comeback. To force a return to traditional values, there will need to be laws forcing non-essential businesses to be closed on Sunday, national holidays to be observed, etc.

But would this society really be better? I want to say that I know most of that probably will not actually happen but it's what the religious right ultimately wants and Trump is moving us in that direction. At this point in history, it seems like it would require a significant oppression of individual liberty in order to really bring back "traditional values."
Imposed by the state?
"being necessary to the security of a free state" keep that from happening.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM

3,323 posts, read 2,135,210 times
Quote:
I'd say these days, it's the people stomping their feet about traditional values that have lost their morals.
This is readily observable among the more ideologically rigid adherents of both sides of the aisle. The left has the SJW/"woke" types and the right has the "bible thumpers." Both tend to see groups rather than individuals and want to implement some sort of authoritarian control mechanisms where each finds it selfishly beneficial to do so.

Note that the aforementioned categories are crude approximations as ideology and behavior are exceedingly complex issues. Where things go awry tends to be a function of ignoring underlying complexities. The negative results then reliably scale in proportion to the degree to which dispassionate analysis flies out the proverbial window plus the number of individuals subject to the effects of such disregard. It's a real mess, and, psychologically speaking, human beings are hardwired to prefer bad answers/solutions to none at all.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:53 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most humans will never accept homosexuality as something normal and not degenerate.

Whatever the laws or courts say, that is just the way it is.
NO, you're WRONG. Most normal humans don't worry to death over how consenting adults are indulging in sex, straight or not.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
But what about the traditional morals?
What traditional values? In 1920, my grandparents had to get married because my grandmother was pregnant. In 1938, my mother had to get married because she feared she was pregnant. But as it turned out, she didn't need to. She only skipped a period and wasn't pregnant.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:58 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Most humans will never accept homosexuality as something normal and not degenerate.

Honestly, I don’t think most care about anyone’s sex life.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:59 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
Would the USA really be better off if traditional values were imposed by the state?
No, no, no. We would cease to be free if we had values imposed upon us by the state.
Or religious leaders. Or anyone. You would have to toss out the idea of living in a free world.

Quote:

I am a human, and I have no problem with other people if they are homosexual. That is their life, their choice.
None of my business. Live and let live.

Why would anyone want to force people to try to live and be something that they are not? Why would someone want everyone else to live by their own personal religion,morality or values? Most UnAmerican thing ever. EVER.
If you don't like Gay marriage, don't get one. But don't expect to have the moral superiority to think you can tell anyone else how to live their lives.

If you wish to live in a Theocracy try Iran or Iraq, and see how well you like that.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
i dont want the government legislating behavior in any manner.

Old 10-20-2019, 11:12 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,101,600 times
Quote:
That's the problem. You could force behavior but you won't be able to force traditional morals. I'd say these days, it's the people stomping their feet about traditional values that have lost their morals. They want to control what everyone else can and cannot do but they are corrupt to the core.
Exactly! To the core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Nothing to do with values and everything to do with rights. That's what you continually miss which is odd since our government was founded on the rights of the individual.

Government isn't moral so again it's strange you bring that up especially when your own morals are lacking. Which wouldn't be much of a problem in society except for the fact that you forcing your beliefs on others when no ones rights have been violated. Which ironically enough, isn't moral.
Omg! For the first time I ever I think we agree!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Trump is not conservative. Not even close. Conservatives do not vote to increase spending. That's the litmus test.
Trump has never been conservative, it freaks me out when people keep saying he is...because no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
NO, you're WRONG. Most normal humans don't worry to death over how consenting adults are indulging in sex, straight or not.
Exactly! Who cares!

Old 10-20-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteskal View Post
Absolutely! This country was founded on traditional values.
So nobody was getting married because they had to back in the late 1700s?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies