Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 04:45 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Nah, Germany caused it when it decided to throw open the doors unilaterally. The US didn't cause the war in Syria. And Europe - France especially - has been reaping the oil rewards in Iraq that it said the US started the war to obtain in the first place (there's some delicious irony in that).

In reality, the refugee crisis also started about 1400 years ago when a pedophile warlord declared himself a prophet. It was exacerbated when the Shia-Sunni schism split. And since then (and especially since 2003 in Iraq), we have learned that the Middle East can only resist sectarian and Muslim fundamentalist violence when there's a secular dictator in charge to keep the lid on the pressure cooker. Which is why the US should side with Assad to end the war once and for all, if that is the goal.

The failed and humiliated neo-con dream of "democratizing the Middle East" is just a different shade of European Multiculturalists thinking that anyone from any background is going to embrace secular democracy and play nice with all the other cultures with diametrically opposed morals and values.
No, the refugees came from Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan around 2015 so yes we are the problem. The unrest and destabilization in Iraq spilled over into Syria although Syria started as a civil war and then got complicated.

Spare me the 1400 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 05:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
They need to do a lot more than just learn the German language.

German employment is more complex in many ways. The immigrants need to step up and into the German labor market.
You mean like the Turkish folks in Germany? They've been here for generations - called gastarbeiter (guest workers). The difference is until recently, they weren't allowed to become citizens.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Great point. It is not the influx of highly skilled laborers that is causing their problem. Rather it is the uncontrolled influx of unskilled people who are not committed to enthusiastically becoming a responsible and cooperative member of the existing national German culture.
Do unskilled people have the skills to assimilate? I don't think so.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:10 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,526,207 times
List of highest median ages in the world:

1. Monaco - 52.4
2. Japan - 46.9
3. Germany - 46.8
4. Saint Pierre and Miquelon - 45.9
5. U.S. Virgin Islands - 45.6
6. Italy - 45.1
7. Greece - 44.2

61. United States - 37.9

Median Age / Countries of the World

Germany has an age problem and I’m not sure how they are going to solve it. Obviously they have not been able to attract enough young immigrants from other EU countries despite freedom of movement.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:17 PM

2,450 posts, read 972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
For different people of different nationalities and religions to 'season the pot' is all good and fine. But at the end of the day, for a nation to be successful, it must have cultural ties that bind them together. Shared values and a united sense of national identity.

Angela Merkel has in many ways been one of the top world leaders over the first 20 years of this century. Never moreso than in her speech on Saturday.

Finally. Well said, Angela. On this point, you have finally gotten it right.

And multiculturalism has also "utterly failed" here in the US also, by the way.
It's too bad the horse has already left the barn. Merkel shouldn't have been so stubborn and listened to those who tried to warn her that her immigration plan would be a disaster.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:19 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
I don't understand the point of multiculturalism in Europe (or Africa....or Asia)

Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,213,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Merkel has done more to destroy Germany than Hitler did.
I hate this kind of comparison to Hitler and/or Nazi Germany. To me it belittles what the victims of Nazi Germany suffered.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:50 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I hate this kind of comparison to Hitler and/or Nazi Germany. To me it belittles what the victims of Nazi Germany suffered.
To bad, the comparison is on the effect to Germany, not the effect on others. On the effect to Germany, Merkel has done more to destroy Germany than did Hitler.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:52 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I understand what you're saying, but the comparison isn't as far-fetched as it may seem. Hitler launched a war of aggression and a campaign of genocide that led to millions of deaths and the devastation of many of Germany's cities and industrial and transportation facilities. But, once the Nazis were defeated, Germany was allowed to rebuild (and in fact was helped in doing so) and rejoin the family of nations with her Germanic culture and heritage intact.

What Merkel has done is far more insidious. She has introduced into her country a violent, intolerant, misogynist culture that has left Germany's buildings standing, but has brought great harm to the people and their culture. If this is allowed to continue, the Germanic culture and heritage and way of life could be weakened and ultimately destroyed. And unlike rebuilding the physical infrastructure, rebuilding a lost culture is probably impossible. Germany the geographic place will remain, but Germany the culture and way of life would be gone forever.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times
In other news, SJWs from around the world have now sentenced the secret Russian leader Merkel to 20-years of mandatory diversity training workshops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies