Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:01 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What does that ^^^ have to do with being able to get enough food so as not to go hungry?

If one is starving, they will give up a lot for food.
Like getting a second job or improving their skill set.

Sounds like you finally understand that it shouldn't just be a hand out from employers that you wish to force to pay more for the same type/quality of work without getting any additional value for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 03:03 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
We should all work harder and longer hours to pay for trump and family extravagant travels, vacations, and golf outings.
Counting required security costs as paying for Trump travel shows you do not understand how things work.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:13 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
The right-wing crowd is finally realizing corporations that sell tobacco, alcohol, and junk food are profiting off of not only the people who "make bad choices" but from the tax payers who clean up the mess caused by these corporations.

Ditto for corporations that pollute our air and water.

Remember when you went after Michelle Obama for promoting healthy foods in school lunches?
So corporations forced you to put stink weed in your face? Force you to drink booze? And it’s not up to the schools to feed your offspring.

I will now say something that will cause you to put your hands over your ears and scream LALALALALA!!

Personal responsibility and personal choice.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:22 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
I am all for SNAP restricting purchases to foods that are nutritious. If 42 million people qualify for food stamps in the US, that should tell you it is time to raise the minimum wage.
Technically if an individual makes federal minimum wage and works full time, they do not qualify for SNAP under federal rules. If raise minimum wage, fewer would qualify, many already work less than full time to ensure get benefits.

Old 10-21-2019, 04:39 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
We pay all the time for other people's mistakes, like recently in New Orleans.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:10 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
You mean like Libya, ISIS and Syria?
Like the " reset " with Russia ?
The talks with North Korea ?
Israel ?
The Arab Spring ?

Oh wait, that wasn't Trump.
Weak attempt at whataboutism. Not even close.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:10 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
Quote:
I am all for SNAP restricting purchases to foods that are nutritious. If 42 million people qualify for food stamps in the US, that should tell you it is time to raise the minimum wage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObXX6lWAcRg
Why would it tell me it is time to raise the minimum wage? Maybe it tells me that it is time to reduce the number of people who qualify for handouts.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Like getting a second job or improving their skill set.

Sounds like you finally understand that it shouldn't just be a hand out from employers that you wish to force to pay more for the same type/quality of work without getting any additional value for it.
Anyone who works an honest job full time should, at a minimum, be able to support themselves. That would include a roof over their head and enough food. If that is not possible, trump's economy is crap!

Old 10-21-2019, 06:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So corporations forced you to put stink weed in your face? Force you to drink booze? And it’s not up to the schools to feed your offspring.

I will now say something that will cause you to put your hands over your ears and scream LALALALALA!!

Personal responsibility and personal choice.

So are you against health insurance paying for illness caused by smoking or drinking? After all, health insurance premiums goes up for everyone to pay for the medical cares of smokers and drinkers.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Anyone who works an honest job full time should, at a minimum, be able to support themselves. That would include a roof over their head and enough food. If that is not possible, trump's economy is crap!
Back in the late 80's I worked 2 and 3 jobs to support my family.. My parents both worked and my father did side work. The cost of having 5 kids. It isn't Trump's economy, it's a fact of life. Minimum wage is designed for non-skilled entry level people. Just like SS was never meant to be a primary income but supplemental to what people saved for themselves.

People live they live. They should understand the cost of living and make decisions based upon that.

I had 2 kids without insurance. I needed to work 2 jobs sometimes 3 to pay for them.. Not a chance in hell I was going to sign up for welfare. I can hold my head high because I wasn't a burden upon society. I understand not everyone can do that and that sometimes things happen. Dads walking out on moms, etc.

Raising minimum wage to say $15 an hour. The wage that skilled labor really starts at. Do you then raise the pay for skilled labor? Do you then raise the wages of the trades who are making $24 + an hour? Well the cost of living will skyrocket with that. Most businesses acknowledge that the #1 cost is payroll. Increasing that will increase product costs.

Surprisingly the left will use the argument that we need illegals or the cost of produce will skyrocket. The next breath they say raising minimum wage shouldn't impact costs. Yes it will and by a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies