Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 10:15 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times

Advertisements

The stats on this are not 100% accurate. Many, and I mean MANY women abuse the family courts and accuse their partners of DV in order to get an RO on them to get them out of the house so they can have it or to bring in another partner. I'm sure some men have done the same too. It happened to me. DV laws get abused every single day just for vindictiveness. Someone wants to get back at you? accuse them of DV and get an RO, then continually violate them even if it's untrue. DV laws are broken. Yes, I do know many reports are legit but it gets abused every single day.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:46 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Imagine the chaos and potential for violence if society used no written contracts for anything because, well, you know, everybody already knows what they are agreeing to so why bother writing anything down.

The reason, of course, why the most important legal contract most people will ever into, the marriage contract, isn't put down clearly in writing is because no man in his right mind would sign it and marriage would become nearly obsolete overnight. Can't have that happening, even if it means putting women's lives in jeopardy.
Why not?

Old 10-25-2019, 10:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Imagine the chaos and potential for violence if society used no written contracts for anything because, well, you know, everybody already knows what they are agreeing to so why bother writing anything down.

The reason, of course, why the most important legal contract most people will ever into, the marriage contract, isn't put down clearly in writing is because no man in his right mind would sign it and marriage would become nearly obsolete overnight. Can't have that happening, even if it means putting women's lives in jeopardy.
Again, you have not told us, yet, what the contract is to say that would keep people from getting married.
After all, there already are a lot of people (in some countries) where people do get married despite prenup.

For most people marriage still is something romantic, that is why they don't want to banalize it with a contract.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The stats on this are not 100% accurate. Many, and I mean MANY women abuse the family courts and accuse their partners of DV in order to get an RO on them to get them out of the house so they can have it or to bring in another partner. I'm sure some men have done the same too. It happened to me. DV laws get abused every single day just for vindictiveness. Someone wants to get back at you? accuse them of DV and get an RO, then continually violate them even if it's untrue. DV laws are broken. Yes, I do know many reports are legit but it gets abused every single day.
All one has to do is convince a warrant writer or judge.
So whose responsibility is that. There should be some actual evidence, witness, police being called.
I'm not saying you are not correct. I have also seen it happen more than once.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, you have not told us, yet, what the contract is to say that would keep people from getting married.
After all, there already are a lot of people (in some countries) where people do get married despite prenup.

For most people marriage still is something romantic, that is why they don't want to banalize it with a contract.
Because he has nothing but his own bitterness.
It is still generally men who seek out women and ask for their hand in marriage.
In most states divorce are designed to be equitable and children are given the most consideration.
I dont see how there can be one marriage contract as the circumstances of every marriage are unique.
Best thing to do is know the divorce law in your state. I think it is pretty common knowledge that divorce begins with a 50/50 split of marital assets and is negotiated from there and most states award custody to the primary care taker. If one has more reservations they are free to draw up their own contract.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:01 AM

2,264 posts, read 970,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why not?
Because it's so one-sided which would become abundantly clear if it were actually written down in black and white with all its TBD blank spaces included. Ask any divorced man who's learned the hard way.

Smart men don't get married in the U.S. or Europe until they're too old for it to matter anymore.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
. . . For most people marriage still is something romantic, that is why they don't want to banalize it with a contract.
50% end in divorce and people are dying because of the refusal to "banalize it" with a clearly written contract.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:06 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I'm guessing you don't understand the psychological dynamic between abuser and abused.

They're like magnets; they seek each other out.
This - and the rest of your post - is a nice job of blaming the victim.

Quote:
In other words marry someone of the same economic background willing to contribute financially to the household and be will to contribute to the the home and parenting.
That's sound advice, but nothing in this world is black and white. People change and nothing can prepare you for that. A person who is mentally or physically healthy at age 25 may not be mentally or physically healthy at age 40 or 50. I could cite you a dozen examples of a "stable" and/or "responsible" spouse coming home one day and declaring s/he doesn't want to be married anymore, or a spouse becoming violent in an previously harmonious relationship. It's happened to friends after one year of marriage, and after 20 or more years of marriage.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:23 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
All one has to do is convince a warrant writer or judge.
So whose responsibility is that. There should be some actual evidence, witness, police being called.
I'm not saying you are not correct. I have also seen it happen more than once.
I agree, as it is now all you have to do is call the police and just accuse someone of something and they have to act and the accused is arrested and a RO placed upon them. It happened to me. Everything got dismissed in the end but it cost a ton of money in lawyers and time.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM

When you ask for it in writing and all you get in return are insults and hand waving you know you're being scammed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.