Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
Don't those Northern European countries have super high suicide rates
No, they have lower rates than the US.

http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.ma...DEASDR?lang=en

Next myth please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 09:31 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Anybody who wants to be like Norway, Sweden or Denmark can go live in Norway, Sweden or Denmark.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:31 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
America back in the 1950s had even higher rates than those countries do now without all of the "free stuff" they enjoy today.
In fact the top marginal tax rate in 1960 was 91%.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:36 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
We have too many illiterate/useless people to make that work.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
I’m a bit lost. There’s been talk about having a flat tax here in the U.S., but other countries do it then it’s wrong??

Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
No.

You want to control someone, control their money, which is exactly why Europeans don't have the freedoms that we do. We make our own decisions with regard to pension, health care, where to work, whether to join a union, which means we have economic mobility unheard of in Western/Northern Europe.
Oooopsy!

You've got it exactly 180 degrees reversed. The majority of you don't get to make those decisions. AND you're the most controlled bunch on the planet. Homeland Security, NSA, TSA, FBI, CIA, DEA, with your country pioneering the concept of the flying public needing to have their "Y" fronts explored by high school drop outs before getting on a dang plane.

Patriot Act and it's later stepchild but oxymoronic named Freedom Act? Nobody in the first world nations has more data collected about it's citizens by it's government than yours.

Individual freedoms:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coun...-sweden-tie-25

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...ort-2017-03-20

Economic freedoms:
https://www.heritage.org/index/ranking

Even freedom of the press:
https://rsf.org/en/2019-world-press-...dex-cycle-fear

Before you go on about the "subjectivity" of those scores and follow up with the default "fake news" nonsense; it's not just one independent org or agency performing those measures, but virtually ALL of them.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:48 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
No.

You want to control someone, control their money, which is exactly why Europeans don't have the freedoms that we do. We make our own decisions with regard to pension, health care, where to work, whether to join a union, which means we have economic mobility unheard of in Western/Northern Europe.
Unless you live in a state that all but bans unions. Or you had an existing condition that allowed insurers to refuse to extend a policy pre-Obamacare. Or you do not have access to a pension....

But no I do not want to be like the Scandinavian countries because we could not. We are more diverse, have much different problems, do not have as uniform of education, do not embrace the same work practices, etc. I'd prefer we simply became a better version of ourselves.

And a flat tax is fine by me.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:52 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m a bit lost. There’s been talk about having a flat tax here in the U.S., but other countries do it then it’s wrong??
None of the Scandinavian countries have flat taxes, the claim that they do is incorrect.

The thread starter doesn't seem to have a good grasp of how the systems work in those countries, he has rather picked some numbers he has seen somewhere and not understood them.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Yes, in some respects I would like us to be like them.

I'd be good with paying 50% of my income in taxes if I got real service in return - good public infrastructure, a reliable safety net, good education system, good comprehensive healthcare.

...as opposed to paying a good 40%+ of my income in taxes here to fund a massive military industrial complex while our infrastructure is **** and healthcare as well as education is ridiculously expensive.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You want to be like Norway? Sweden? Denmark?

Yep

You?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies