Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2019, 07:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
In explosive testimony, Bill Taylor confirmed that Trump demanded aid be withheld from Ukraine pending their investigation of his political rivals.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/tru...raine-n1069941
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWinterSnow View Post
Yawn
Yeah, "yawn"

We know this is a lie. Anything, EVER, that is said about Trump that is not favorable is a lie. Anything negative, vetted or not, that is said about his foes is an indisputable fact. The "libs" have so much control over the universe that even Trump's most trusted allies can be turned into liars, which is evident because if they say something that does not align with Trump, then we know it's a lie.

Yawn indeed.

Spoiler
Sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 07:31 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And McCarthy followed that with "we can't really talk about it". Right.
It has shades of the multiple promises we got of a "smoking gun" on Benghazi. Except in reverse this time, McCarthy's got nothin', guaranteed.

The evidence to support impeachment is here. Now it's simply a matter of whether Republicans in the Senate will have the stones to vote for it.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Trump rather just win elections then be president he seemed to keep reminding people how he beat Clinton for the first 2 years of his presidency just to rub it in.

Does anyone think he would resign if for some odd reason the DEMS in the senate are able to get 20 republicans to vote with them and get the 67 votes to convict. Much like Nixon but in Nixon's case the senate had the votes already.

I think he will hold out not resign actually become the first sitting president to be removed from office. That is if it looked as if the senate was really turning against him.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Really now? Post your info about the whistleblower ratting about a Democrat president's corruption. Discuss the Democrat president who bought an election, because I'm not aware of one. And which diplomat heard information about a Democrat president bribing a foreign country to investigate his political rivals?
If there was such a situation - the democrats caught doing something like this -- it WOULD HAVE BEEN BURIED BY THE MEDIA

Old 10-23-2019, 07:40 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Really now? Post your info about the whistleblower ratting about a Democrat president's corruption. Discuss the Democrat president who bought an election, because I'm not aware of one. And which diplomat heard information about a Democrat president bribing a foreign country to investigate his political rivals?
They will make up whatever facts, stories, or actions to support it. They'll retweet it and call it "fact". You can't win with these people. I still am trying to figure out if they hate America and want to "fundamentally change it" for the worse, or if they are just THAT stupid and gullible. It's really hard to tell. (And yes, I'm being serious.)

Old 10-23-2019, 07:43 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
They will make up whatever facts, stories, or actions to support it. They'll retweet it and call it "fact". You can't win with these people. I still am trying to figure out if they hate America and want to "fundamentally change it" for the worse, or if they are just THAT stupid and gullible. It's really hard to tell. (And yes, I'm being serious.)
They’re like battered housewives, what ya expect?

Their last messiah was Bush Jr. that traitor lied to the American people knowingly to start his wars.

Now they’ve got trump. The biggest disgrace this country has yet to see.

Denial is to be expected.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:44 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If there was such a situation - the democrats caught doing something like this -- it WOULD HAVE BEEN BURIED BY THE MEDIA
Your conjecture about what might happen in the media if Democrats did something does not change the fact that all of the evidence thus far supports the conclusion that Trump was trying to use strategic military aid to strong-arm Ukraine into opening a baseless investigation into Biden for Trump's personal political gain. Had a Democrat done it, I would be furious and would call for impeachment also. I have no allegiance to the Democratic party, they are nearly as terrible as the current GOP. But that isn't the topic at hand. What Trump actually did is the current topic.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
With yesterday's testimony, it seems there is little doubt that the House will impeach once their investigation is complete and they have a full record to present. The question is not whether tribal partisans and Trump sycophants support impeachment, but whether swing voters and independents do. Kevin McCarthy's vague allusions to John Ratcliffe "destroy[ing']" a 50-year career diplomat who served under 6 Presidents is not likely to cut it with them. Nor will splitting hairs about what he testified about regarding what Ukraine's government knew or didn't know.

The most dangerous thing about the Ukraine scandal for Trump is that its facts are easily digestible, even to the most casual observer. Trump's ability to control the message and muddy the waters enough to cover himself from scandal dissipates when the allegations are straightforward as they are here (unlike, for example, the Mueller Report). His best bet was probably insisting there was no quid pro quo, but between Sonland, Hill, Taylor, and Mulvaney, that defense is no longer credible with anyone but Trump supporters who wouldn't support impeachment no matter what.
It is commonplace and routine for U.S. Presidents to ask leaders of other countries for favors in exchange for military and other kinds of aid. Moreover, the US has an agreement with Ukraine to route out corruption in their country.

But like I said, if the Democrats believe this is grounds for impeachment, then they should just get on with it and see what happens. It should be interesting.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:50 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is commonplace and routine for U.S. Presidents to ask leaders of other countries for favors in exchange for military and other kinds of aid. Moreover, the US has an agreement with Ukraine to route out corruption in their country.

But like I said, if the Democrats believe this is grounds for impeachment, then they should just get on with it and see what happens.
Why the rush? Don't you want to see the Dems do a thorough and methodical job?

Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

But like I said, if the Democrats believe this is grounds for impeachment, then they should just get on with it and see what happens.
Its commonplace for the US (and numerous NGOs) to place preconditions on the disbursement of aid. It is not commonplace for those preconditions to include jump-starting a baseless criminal investigation into a political leader's rival at the leader's behest and for the leader's personal benefit. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Further undercutting the suggestion that Trump was simply looking to "route [sic] out corruption in their country" is today's revelation that documents show that the White House actually sought to cut aid for fighting corruption in the Ukraine. (link) So much for that sadly transparent claim, I guess.

As to your second request, it appears that is just what the Democrats are doing. Once they complete their investigation, I have little doubt after yesterday's testimony that Article of Impeachment will be drawn up. Really, the only remaining question is whether the Senate Republicans will calculate that the political blowback from covering for Trump will outweigh the political blowback from abandoning him.

Last edited by TEPLimey; 10-23-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies