Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe affirmative action is needed anymore
Yes 2 7.14%
No 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 11:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Truth is you have White people who are simply exhausted. They are exhausted by the social pathologies, the violence, the endless complaints,the bottomless pit of grievances and excuses found in many Black communities/individuals.

If one feels Blacks are still getting a raw deal and our history, society, ect is to blame... then so be it.

However, AA is on its way out.
Well....I thought it was already gone (AA).

Anyway, like I said, from day one we were seen and defined as "inferior". Over 400 years later....that has not changed. We are not a respected people which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to reach economic equality while in the midst and under the domination of those who see you as inferior. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 12:01 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
One positive about AA being on its way out is that people can stop blaming others for their mediocrity.

I have a young cousin who has top grades and has already been invited to NASA for his work. If he attends somewhere like MIT, some mediocre whites might assume he received AA because he’s of African descent. The other side of it is that he’s half Asian. So even if he needed AA, it would seem that would cancel out.

Plain and simple, people need to stop blaming certain minorities for their failures. No one knows anyone else’s credentials. A white applicant might have scored 10 points higher but had poor writing skills. If a poorer minority writes better having had less opportunity and perhaps volunteered more...guess who is the better choice? Do yourself a favor and do better.

People need to stop blaming others... period.

My nephew didn't get into any of the Ivy league schools he applied. Kid is a top student. Top SAT scores, volunteer work ect.

His mother blames AA. Maybe she's right. But maybe she's wrong. Get rid of AA and such an **excuse won't be an issue.

If the top U.S. universities end up 60% Asian, 36% white and 4% Black/Brown that's the way it will be.

** I told the mother even if she's right it won't hurt the boy to learn at a young age that life isn't always fair.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
People need to stop blaming others... period.

My nephew didn't get into any of the Ivy league schools he applied. Kid is a top student. Top SAT scores, volunteer work ect.

His mother blames AA. Maybe she's right. But maybe she's wrong. Get rid of AA and such an **excuse won't be an issue.

If the top U.S. universities end up 60% Asian, 36% white and 4% Black/Brown that's the way it will be.

** I told the mother even if she's right it won't hurt the boy to learn at a young age that life isn't always fair.
I don't think it will matter. If people think AA are inferior......they will automatically assume that some white person was better qualified.....but that the black person got in by some sort of favoritism. They will simply assume that AA has some sort of secret replacement....lol.

Personally I do not know why people put all this effort in getting into a few elite colleges. If you are smart......you will make it regardless of what college you go to. This is all simply about STATUS!!!! One of my kids has a 4.0, top athlete, NHS, ect....his criteria for a college is somewhere warm with a beach nearby. I have no problem with that.

There are tons of accredited Universities in the US. No one is going to end up in the poor house because they did not get accepted in MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc. What is wrong with graduating from the University of Iowa or Georgia or Central Michigan? If you are an A or B student and have drive.....your career success is not dependent upon graduating from an elite college.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-24-2019 at 12:23 PM..

Old 10-24-2019, 12:12 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Then quote yourself explaining how it's fair to use wealth and family connections. I'll wait.
JFC. I can't quote myself saying it's fair to use wealth and family connection because I never said that. I said it's fair to demonstrate one's ability and motivation by ALSO participating in leadership roles (the example I gave was editor of the school paper) in addition to getting good grades and high test scores. I also pointed out that these are available to blacks as well as whites.

But I draw the line at skin color. The only people who think we should have race-based policies that treat black applicants differently from whites, Jews, and Asians (the "wealthy" according to liberals) are liberals like you who support racist policies.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I don't think it will matter. If people think AA are inferior......they will automatically assume that some white person was better qualified.....but that the black person got in by some sort of favoritism. They will simply assume that AA has some sort of secret replacement....lol.
Nobody is assuming that whites rejected for admission are better qualified than a black person accepted - it's a fact! The data, posted earlier by someone else, clearly show that blacks get into med school with grades that get whites' applications tossed in the round file.

What do you think AA is? It's all about having a lower standard for blacks! Anti-white racists are insisting we keep AA policies that allow lower-scoring blacks in over higher-scoring whites - and then they insist that the whites who are rejected don't have better scores than blacks who are accepted. You can't have it both ways.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:24 PM

858 posts, read 424,411 times
Quote:
Personally I do not know why people put all this effort in getting into a few elite colleges. If you are smart......you will make it regardless of what college you go to. This is all simply about STATUS!!!! One of my kids has a 4.0, top athlete, NHS, ect....his criteria for a college is somewhere warm with a beach nearby. I have no problem with that.
Check how many US presidents and Supreme Court justices went to Ivy League (or equivalent) schools. Simple fact is that an elite education can open doors that otherwise would be much tougher to open.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Nobody is assuming that whites rejected for admission are better qualified than a black person accepted - it's a fact! The data, posted earlier by someone else, clearly show that blacks get into med school with grades that get whites' applications tossed in the round file.

What do you think AA is? It's all about having a lower standard for blacks! Anti-white racists are insisting we keep AA policies that allow lower-scoring blacks in over higher-scoring whites - and then they insist that the whites who are rejected don't have better scores than blacks who are accepted. You can't have it both ways.
Regardless if its a FACT......its also a FACT that some blacks get in by MEETING the general standards and not the lowered standards. If AA did not exists, and there are black people matriculating through Harvard, people will assume that the black person got in from some other form of favoritism. "Oh...his father must have been an Alumni back when they allowed AA and now his son is getting in because of his Dad", or some other reason.

If some people see the black race as inferior and there is a competition that filters out to select only the best of the best and brightest.......these people cannot reconcile that blacks deserve to be in among the few. They will always assume that blacks are there when they should not be.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Check how many US presidents and Supreme Court justices went to Ivy League (or equivalent) schools. Simple fact is that an elite education can open doors that otherwise would be much tougher to open.
Yeah....it makes sense if you are planning on working on Wall Street or being a US Senator. However, I will dare say that is not the plans of 99% of high school graduates. Its mostly about STATUS.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Regardless if its a FACT......its also a FACT that some blacks get in by MEETING the general standards and not the lowered standards. If AA did not exists, and there are black people matriculating through Harvard, people will assume that the black person got in from some other form of favoritism. "Oh...his father must have been an Alumni back when they allowed AA and now his son is getting in because of his Dad", or some other reason.

If some people see the black race as inferior and there is a competition that filters out to select only the best of the best and brightest.......these people cannot reconcile that blacks deserve to be in among the few. They will always assume that blacks are there when they should not be.
BINGO! We agree on something.

SOME blacks would have gotten in anyway, under the more demanding "white" standard. But other blacks, without benefit of the lower standard, would have been rejected. So people knowing that blacks, as a whole, do not have to meet the same high standards as whites to get admitted wonder whether the black student got in on his own merits, or the "rope line" was lowered for him to get in.

But you cannot have it both ways. You cannot demand to keep racist policies that allow blacks in at a level where whites are soundly rejected, and then complain that people wonder whether any specific black kid got in on his own, or was a poorer student who got in thanks to AA.

For example, I am Jewish (in case you forgot). If Jews were not well represented in college and thus requirements for their admission were lowered, and everyone knew that, it would work against a smart Jewish kid who WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IN ANYWAY.

If you want people to look at black graduates from prestigious programs - be they Ivy or med schools - the same way they look at whites from those same programs, you have to abolish AA. Then people k ow that the black graduate competed fairly against other applicants, including whites, and came out among the top.

Old 10-24-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah....it makes sense if you are planning on working on Wall Street or being a US Senator. However, I will dare say that is not the plans of 99% of high school graduates. Its mostly about STATUS.
Given that, why should standards be lowered for black kids to get into prestigious schools rather than have them just go to wherever their grades/scores will take them? A bachelor's degree in a marketable field from a state university is enough to form the groundwork for a good career, combined with hard work and motivation during that career.

My sibling went to the state university, then "wowed" his first employer with his smarts and work ethic, and was rewarded with a tuition-paid grad degree. He was head of the department by age 30, and made very decent money. What is wrong with that? Why do we have to lower standards to allow blacks into Ivy schools when they would qualify for state u. on their own?

(Answer: because liberal elitists are the ones behind AA polices. SNOBS every one.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies