Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe affirmative action is needed anymore
Yes 2 7.14%
No 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 11:01 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
AA is evil, in my opinion. It causes nothing but racial division in so many ways.

You know what else is a bigger outrage than the admission scandal? Allowing illegal aliens here illegally to get preferential treatment over our very own American citizens. You want sick? That is sick.

Whites tend to look at "racial division" in terms of what upsets white folks....lol. When you hear a white conservative talking about "racial division".....what they really mean is "upset white folks". White racism.....naw.....that does not produce racial division. Black wealth 15 times less than whites.....naw....that does not produce racial division. Black poverty about twice that of whites....naw....that does not produce racial division. None of those things upsets white folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 11:16 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
No MIT, but med school acceptance rates by race and scores definitely show bias:

https://www.discriminations.us/2018/...and-ethnicity/

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/new-c...dical-schools/

Unfortunately for this year the AAMC removed the graph (facttable A-23, 2017) that contains admission rates by race and MCAT/GPA. It was very telling
Yes, thank you for finding that and posting it. It's exactly what I said up thread and was called a liar as a result.

My guess would be that there was so much blowback once whites and Asians realized the extent to which med schools were discriminating against them in favor of lower-scoring blacks and Latinos that the AAMC decided to hide the findings (or at least not make them readily available). It also may be that the med schools themselves asked that the AAMC not disclose the extent of their racist policies.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:16 AM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
And when all that happens there will still be whites and Asians with higher test scores who don't get accepted into elite universities, while "others", will be accepted with less.....and guess what.....nobody will be complaining about it!!

Just can't have those "blacks".....lol. Your not racist though....

I'm sure there will be plenty of complaints regarding other types of preferential treatment and justifiably so.

Nevertheless, the use of race will very likely be abolished.

Universities get caught and watch lawsuits start to fly

Old 10-23-2019, 11:25 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, thank you for finding that and posting it. It's exactly what I said up thread and was called a liar as a result.

My guess would be that there was so much blowback once whites and Asians realized the extent to which med schools were discriminating against them in favor of lower-scoring blacks and Latinos that the AAMC decided to hide the findings (or at least not make them readily available). It also may be that the med schools themselves asked that the AAMC not disclose the extent of their racist policies.
Unfortunately the links are no longer available, and the AAMC no longer publishes these tables (I wonder why), but here is a post I made about it a while back:

//www.city-data.com/forum/51286439-post97.html

Old 10-23-2019, 11:26 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I'm sure there will be plenty of complaints regarding other types of preferential treatment and justifiably so.

Nevertheless, the use of race will very likely be abolished.

Universities get caught and watch lawsuits start to fly

No there will not be. There will be grumblings....but nothing upsets "Americans" more than the idea of black people getting something "they don't deserve".

Two issues: One being the disproportionate rate of black men being imprisoned for crimes they did not commit and the other being Blacks getting into Colleges ahead of more qualified whites.

What issue would the conservative champion?

Conservatives have much more of a problem with blacks getting a benefit that they should not than with blacks getting the short end of something. The former causes "racial division" in their minds, while the latter causes a "victim mentality"...lol.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 10-23-2019 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-23-2019, 11:44 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
If a black person gets in via AA and they excel, who the **** cares? All the school wants is students that can exceed expectations thereby not besmirching their label.
AA is only a problem for many now. It wasn’t a problem when it was AA on steroids and virtually no one but whites only could attend schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
eh...i think the bigger outrage is legacy admissions. Is there any valid reason why this should exist? Why does it even matter that your mom or dad went to Harvard 20 years ago?
No, not for many because mostly whites benefit from that. So in their minds, that’s ok.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM

78,415 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Schools bend admission rules all the time for economic reasons:

-Legacies and kids from big donor or big name families. This is a bigger issue at the Ivy's etc.
-Athletes. Nuff said, especially for the bigtime sports of mens football and basketball and this impacts most schools public and private.
-Foreign and out of state students. University of Iowa does this by charging more which allows cheaper costs for it's residents but the admission standards are typically lower for the higher paying group. (This is all admitted and public info fyi.)

Personally, whatever a private school wants to do is up to them.

For state schools, I actually agree with some weight to hardship and there should be no consideration for race. This was actually presented as a complaint years back that elite schools were filling "black" slots with affluent kids from Africa etc. and not disadvantaged blacks.

Hardship\poverty consideration will get a disproportionate number of good hardworking minority candidates that will succeed at the school. You'll get the kid with the 30 ACT instead of 34 because they worked part time to help support the household instead of exam prep classes for months or years in some cases.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:46 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Liberals like to get outraged over the fact that a tiny percentage of kids were able to pay their way into elite universities. Funny how they get outraged over that and never the fact that thousands upon thousands of Asians with 800/800 Math scores get denied to colleges while "favored" minority groups can get into MIT with a 550/800. That's the real college admissions scandal, in my opinion. Liberals like to pretend they believe in a meritocratic society, but really they want discimination if it's the "right" kind.

Someone with a 550/800 SAT score in Math is going to fail at MIT. Race has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-23-2019, 11:54 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
When black people say how racism has hurt people.....you then imply we have a "mental disorder" born from seeing ourselves as "victims". Now you are making people out to be "victims" of liberal policies. Why don't you take your own conservative advice and stop blaming and making people out to be victims?

I don't buy this "unfair to whites" crap until I see some ribs showing from hunger....lol. Why are whites so "obese", metaphorically speaking, if liberalism is denying whites so many meals that they have earned, but have had those meals given to blacks? Whites dominate the economic statistics in regards to wealth, income, employment, etc, etc, over blacks. Blacks are "skinny" economically, while whites are "obese". Here you all are.....with protruding round bellies, food stains on your shirt, crumbs surrounding your mouth from your gluttony....complaining that someone else is getting food you better deserve to be eating.

That is not a good look. White people are doing BETTER, with or without affirmative action. Show me some ribs of hunger from this....or say nothing. Some white folks don't really have a problem with other white folks not being admitted despite having better scores.....their real problem is with BLACK PEOPLE being the benefactors. That can't stand to see black people get anything......whether its fair or unfair. When it seems unfair....well that just gives them an outlet to show their anger and discomfort without looking like a racist. Best believe, however, that they are just as uncomfortable with blacks achieving positive thing without the help of AA.
Ah yes....I remember you. You're the one who says we should keep giving blacks an unfair advantage until they are equal to whites (however that is measured....net income, net worth, whatever).

The problem with that is that you are ignoring - or outright denying - that any choices on the part of blacks, as a whole, contribute to unequal outcome. You actually think blacks can "equal" whites in net worth and net income when 75% of black babies are born to unwed mothers. Why should higher-achieving white students be rejected in favor of black students because blacks, as a group, have made poor choices?

Also, nobody other than you said we are trying to keep blacks out. They are more than welcome to compete with any others, based on grades, scores, extracurricular activities, etc.

And finally, your demeaning remarks about white people's fat bellies with food stains and crumbs? Damn, but you are the biggest racist on this forum. I don't know how your white wife tolerates your hostility.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:01 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Ah yes....I remember you. You're the one who says we should keep giving blacks an unfair advantage until they are equal to whites (however that is measured....net income, net worth, whatever).

The problem with that is that you are ignoring - or outright denying - that any choices on the part of blacks, as a whole, contribute to unequal outcome. You actually think blacks can "equal" whites in net worth and net income when 75% of black babies are born to unwed mothers. Why should higher-achieving white students be rejected in favor of black students because blacks, as a group, have made poor choices?

Also, nobody other than you said we are trying to keep blacks out. They are more than welcome to compete with any others, based on grades, scores, extracurricular activities, etc.

And finally, your demeaning remarks about white people's fat bellies with food stains and crumbs? Damn, but you are the biggest racist on this forum. I don't know how your white wife tolerates your hostility.
B/c that White student is more likely to be rejected in favor of another White student who rows crew or whose mother was an alumna or whose father donated a building.

Conservatives like you LOVE affirmative action as long as it benefits your ilk. Otherwise, everyone else needs to get to back and get in on "merit" only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies