Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe affirmative action is needed anymore
Yes 2 7.14%
No 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 02:15 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,079,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Right. There's really no debating the issue. If H.C. had won perhaps she would be pushing the courts toward stronger AA laws.

But she didn't. Trump won.

I grew up under AA when it was going full force. Now, I might have thought it unfair but learned to dance to the tune.

If the USSC begins to dismantle AA you'll have to do the same. You may not like it but tough toenails.
And everyone who defends dismantling AA but ignores the much more prevalent privileged admissions standards shows what their real values are, and are the root of the problem AA tries to counter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 02:17 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,109,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Hint: Blacks will not get whites to feel less racist toward them, to whatever extent they do, by showing how much disdain they have for white people. I can't believe the racist, anti-white comments by black people on this thread alone.
Who cares. Whites in the US were racist from the time Africans were brought to the US as slaves and racism against Africans and their descendants became the dominant culture of the land. When AAs finally were able to attend school, whites made sure they were in the worst condition and devoid of good resources. And it was a fight that required armed guards to integrate schools and allow them to have equal access. So you can be as racist as you please. I can surely believe the racism, anti-black comments coming from your mouth and the mouths of others in this thread. It’s as culturally American as a hamburger.

I’ve learned that much is true as the first-generation born and raised in this country.

Stop playing the victim. You’re not.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:20 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,898,717 times
43% of white students at Harvard are legacies, recruited athletes or children of donors.
https://slate.com/business/2019/09/h...es-donors.html

Old 10-23-2019, 02:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,079,965 times
Quote:
And that undeserved superiority you feel toward your fellow Americans who don't agree with you is why the democrat will lose. Again.

And your imaginary scenario that we want FAIR admissions standards because we will somehow gain from legacy is crazy. You and your ilk demonstrate an unreal hostility toward whites who get good grades and scores, and thus gain admittance by virtue of their own abilities and hard work.

Hint: Blacks will not get whites to feel less racist toward them, to whatever extent they do, by showing how much disdain they have for white people. I can't believe the racist, anti-white comments by black people on this thread alone.
Ha... If you got into an Ivy league school, I guarantee you would milk that for all the admissions cred it would get your kids.

I bet if you have kids, you pushed them into doing all kinds of extracurriculars so it looks good on the college application. And I guarantee you didn't/wouldn't leave out a single award, commendation/volunteer day to boost your kid's chances.

Lol... And you have the nerve to say you're in favor of FAIR admissions.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:31 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,439,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Right. There's really no debating the issue. If H.C. had won perhaps she would be pushing the courts toward stronger AA laws.

But she didn't. Trump won.

I grew up under AA when it was going full force. Now, I might have thought it unfair but learned to dance to the tune.

If the USSC begins to dismantle AA you'll have to do the same. You may not like it but tough toenails.
And that's an example of the liberal policies that Americans voted against, and a reason H.C. lost. Don't you get that the majority of voters - who are white working-class high school graduates - hope to see their kids get into State U? They want a good future for their children too! They are understandably opposed to blacks with lower scores and grades, and possibly college-educated parents to boot, getting admitted over their higher-achieving kids. It's completely unfair.

And as far as legacies, no way to fight that. It's about MONEY and alumni DONATIONS, and it is a personal policy of each college. But we certainly can put a stop to the racist policies that currently exist, via legislation, that gives preferences based on how much melanin one has.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:34 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,898,717 times
Quote:
And that's an example of the liberal policies that Americans voted against, and a reason H.C. lost. Don't you get that the majority of voters - who are white working-class high school graduates - hope to see their kids get into State U? They want a good future for their children too! They are understandably opposed to blacks with lower scores and grades, and possibly college-educated parents to boot, getting admitted over their higher-achieving kids. It's completely unfair.

And as far as legacies, no way to fight that. It's about MONEY and alumni DONATIONS, and it is a personal policy of each college. But we certainly can put a stop to the racist policies that currently exist, via legislation, that gives preferences based on how much melanin one has.
You’re not a serious person. Just say you would like to see structural inequality persist, and black people excluded from elite universities, and be done with it.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:36 PM

15,072 posts, read 6,109,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
43% of white students at Harvard are legacies, recruited athletes or children of donors.
https://slate.com/business/2019/09/h...es-donors.html
Wow.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:38 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,598,774 times
Quote:
Oh please. A white guy (or an Asian) has to have near-perfect grades and MCAT scores to get into medical school. At the same time, a black or Latino kid with a 3.6 GPA is practically guaranteed a spot, and he even has a decent chance with a lousy 3.2.

The AAMC used to report the acceptance rates, by score and grade, and by race, but they stopped. I imagine there was such an uproar that they were pressured by the liberal med schools not to disclose the degree to which they favor blacks over whites.
Do you imagine that grades and MCATs are the only criteria for medical school admission? They aren't. Depending on the school, they also consider the student's professional intentions, like an interest in practicing in underserved specialties and communities and a history of community service.

signed, former AAMC employee

Old 10-23-2019, 02:38 PM

13,287 posts, read 7,699,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And everyone who defends dismantling AA but ignores the much more prevalent privileged admissions standards shows what their real values are, and are the root of the problem AA tries to counter

Your values, my values... doesn't matter. H. Clinton isn't the person appointing justices to the USSC. Trump is. (Which is why I voted for him: the courts)

So... if the USSC does begin dismantling AA you and others may not like it. Which is fine. Protest all you like.

But universities and/or companies which break the law will face lawsuits.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:39 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,439,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Ha... If you got into an Ivy league school, I guarantee you would milk that for all the admissions cred it would get your kids.

I bet if you have kids, you pushed them into doing all kinds of extracurriculars so it looks good on the college application. And I guarantee you didn't/wouldn't leave out a single award, commendation/volunteer day to boost your kid's chances.

Lol... And you have the nerve to say you're in favor of FAIR admissions.
You know nothing about me.

And of course if I had kids, I would have pushed them to do well in school, get a good test score, volunteer for impressive extra-curriculars, etc., to get into a good college. (Black parents have the opportunity to instill the same in their kids.) What's unfair about that? You are such a deranged leftist, and one with acrimony for whites, that you now think white parents who encourage their children to do well in school aren't in favor of "fairness." Are you saying white parents should discourage their kids from studying and doing well so that more blacks can take their spots?

You, on the other hand, still insist that someone's skin color should factor into admissions decisions. That's racist. You are supporting a racist policy, but since it helps you and your ilk, you're for it. Should there be a sliding scale depending in how much blackness one has? We could use a grey-scale measure, so that those who are lighter only get a so-so boost, those who are in a mid-range of color would go a better boost, and those who are darkest get the biggest boost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies