Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:03 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times

Advertisements

Another notable example of an older guy marrying a younger woman who may have been under 18, depending on the source of her birthdate: Eva Leo Fox (8/2/1881 or 8/2/1883-12/29/1962) married a young man named William Fox (1/1/1879-5/8/1952) on 12/31/1899. This guy was the founder of the Fox media empire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
You would know better than I, I guess.

But that is the complaint, the treating a child as a "bride"--not the idea of a marriage.
Its halloween though!!!, just because a kid dresses up as something, doesnt necessarily mean anything, or that they want be what they are dressing up for...Geez, this mother sounds really dumb, I feel sorry for her kids if she has any, having to grow up with a mother like that.

Where is the outrage at kids who want to dress up as count dracula, or a vampire (do they secretly want to go around killing people), or what about kids dressing up as zombies, do they really want to be undead monsters who eat human flesh?!

Old 10-23-2019, 11:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I'm sorry this is so far beyond your grasp. See, there's a difference between the institution of marriage and a dress up costume of a bride. Now, I don't personally have an issue with a girl dressing in a bride costume, but I know the reason why this was considered problematic. See, some of us are able to understand things beyond our own thoughts. We can disagree, but still respect some of the thoughts behind them. Sorry, but Googling can't help you there.
Why was it problematic?

Let me clutch my pearls before you answer...

Old 10-23-2019, 11:54 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So it's so offensive to you that these costumes offended some you had to post a thread? No irony there.
So you are offended at other people being offended about other people being offended? I find that offensive.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:20 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So pull them off the shelves and rebrand them as a Communion dress for those wanting to trick-or-treat as Catholics...lol.
Yep. Back when Nuns still wore Habits, some little girls dressed up as Nuns.

Old 10-24-2019, 05:28 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
https://www.rd.com/culture/banned-halloween-costumes/

For those who do not want to scroll down, the following are costumes (or parts of costumes) that schools have reportedly banned

- Disco Diva
- Genie
- Indian Chief
- Several Disney characters
- Anne Frank
- Confederate Soldier
- Geisha
- Sombreros
- Clown
- Weapons of any kind

Some are understandable, but banning clown costumes ???

Oh, and check out this "helpful" guide presented by the University of Texas-Austin!

https://www.thecollegefix.com/univer...ween-costumes/

I think it would be easier and shorter to just say what would be acceptable to the SJWs.
I worked with a Kindergarten Teacher who was terrified of clowns. She made the mistake of telling this to the class. Want to guess what some of the little boys dressed up as for the class party? They wanted to scare her on purpose.

No, the school did not ban clown costumes for just one Teacher.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:10 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Another notable example of an older guy marrying a younger woman who may have been under 18, depending on the source of her birthdate: Eva Leo Fox (8/2/1881 or 8/2/1883-12/29/1962) married a young man named William Fox (1/1/1879-5/8/1952) on 12/31/1899. This guy was the founder of the Fox media empire.
MANY people for centuries have married females under the age of 18, and even 15- and 16-year-old brides have fairly common. I think that the main issue is when a man has sex with a prepubescent female (i.e., a biological child) OR with a child under 14 or so.

I truly think that people who have a problem with a six-year-old playing "dress-up" as a bride or almost anything are the ones with a problem. Kids like to pretend (and so do some adults) -- why try to make a problem out of something that is NOT a problem. Also, kids have traditionally liked to play witches, devils, ghosts, and "hoboes". Doesn't necessarily mean that they are future Satanists, are suicidal, or are future society drop-outs.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
Are we really at the point of rationalizing and normalizing a grown male having sex with an underage female in a thread where people are freaking out that someone doesn't like the image of the "child bride"?

Really? That's how low the bar is set?

Again, I don't fully agree with the petition to remove this costume from an Australian store, but I do understand what they are speaking against. But to tie the outrage over removing the costume to an acceptance of grown men having sex with girls who are underage is really beyond the pale and, frankly, disgusting.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:50 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post

A little girl wearing the costume would no more be like a "child bride" than her wearing the costume of a nurse, firefighter or astronaut would make her a "child laborer."
this is a fact obvious to all but those itching to be outraged about something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
1. Costumes are stupid
2. There are still KMarts?????
in Australia, even. who knew?

Old 10-24-2019, 07:08 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Kids play dress up in adult costumes ALL the time even outside of Halloween.

What little girl hasn't traipsed around the house in her mothers clothes, jewelry and high heels.

This is ludicrous imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies