Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 06:19 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I think the CA regulators wanted this industry to fail.

First they are short on inspectors for this industry, additionally they were not ready for the onslaught and had to quickly put together the regulations and license fee's for all the types of businesses:
  • Retailers
  • Distributors
  • Microbusinesses
  • Testing Laboratories

The license fees are outrageous.

For example for a Testing Lab which has to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for testing equipment, the reagents and solvents used on that equipment, the storage requirements, security requirements, not to mention hire qualified personnel to perform the workload on these very sophisticated instruments.

Testing laboratories must obtain and maintain ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation.

All of this costs a lot of money then add on the taxes that CA mandates for these labs.

The state requires the following testing on regulated cannabis products.

(1) Cannabinoids
(2) Heavy metals - 4 heavy metals must be tested
(3) Microbial impurities
(4) Mycotoxins
(5) Residual pesticides - 66 pesticides must be tested.
(6) Residual solvents and processing chemicals; and
(7) If tested, terpenoids.

Each instrument that these lab use for testing must undergo Method Validation for each compound they are testing. That requires a huge amount of money.

The equipment is very expensive. PerkinElmer has an entire Marijuana Testing platform and those instruments are very expensive.

PerkinElmer Cannabis Analysis

The regulations also state: The laboratory shall participate in a proficiency testing program provided by an organization that operates in conformance with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17043, at least once every six
months. It costs money to run proficiency testing samples.

I am aware of all of this information for cannabis testing labs due to these regulations closely mirroring medical testing labs.

Here are the CA regulations and in section § 5014. Fees. starting on page 17 you can see how expensive it is to simply hold a license to do the testing.

BUREAU OF CANNABIS CONTROL
TEXT OF REGULATIONS
CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
TITLE 16
DIVISION 42. BUREAU OF CANNABIS
CONTROL

All of this costs a lot of money simply to open up and operate under the current regulations.

Lastly a lot of these startup labs are by folks who have never worked in a scientific or regulated industry. They are epic failures and any investor who is wowed by them are fools to invest.
Great post, thanks for the info.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:14 AM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times
Can someone tell me what the marijuana regulations in "free market" Texas are? Is it easier to open marijuana stores there compared to California due to less regulation?

Old 10-27-2019, 02:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Can someone tell me what the marijuana regulations in "free market" Texas are? Is it easier to open marijuana stores there compared to California due to less regulation?
Texas has no "free market" regulations, because sales of marijuana are not legal there. In my town in Oklahoma, there are around 36 medical marijuana stores, so regulations there are not highly restrictive, and it costs $2500 to get a state license to open a medical marijuana store. In other states the cost is much more.

Old 10-27-2019, 03:34 AM

1,745 posts, read 879,049 times
Quote:

In addition to what StillwaterTownie said, medical marijuana is also facing more challenges in Texas:
https://hightimes.com/news/texas-sud...-dispensaries/

For anyone interested, you can check the status of any state at norml.org by clicking on the "state info" tab.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:06 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:

Marijuana is still an ILLEGAL substance at the Federal level. While I am OK with the legalization of marijuana, how can States make it legal when it is still illegal at the Federal level. What about preemption? They should make it legal nationally, then I am sure Texas and other states would have a legal, regulated market.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:48 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Growing food is easy.

Do you grow all your own food?

The act of vaping isn't dangerous.

What you're vaping can be.
I have a garden; what's the point? I'm not paying 300 dollars an ounce for tomatoes; why would I pay that for an ounce of marijuana? They are very similar in growing difficulty.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:55 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Marijuana is still an ILLEGAL substance at the Federal level. While I am OK with the legalization of marijuana, how can States make it legal when it is still illegal at the Federal level. What about preemption? They should make it legal nationally, then I am sure Texas and other states would have a legal, regulated market.
Yes, legalization at the national/ Federal level is what needs to happen. Very suspicious that there have been NO candidates running on this platform, since so many citizens are in a favor of it, being supportive of it would probably lead to an easy election win.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:11 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But black market was supposed to disappear when pot was legalized...... What went wrong....?

California's legal weed profits going up in smoke

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...oke/ar-AAJfYpO

Legal marijuana in California as a business was supposed to be a no-brainer. How could it not be profitable in a liberal state pushing 40 million residents where some of the best weed in the world has been grown for decades? But nearly three years after Proposition 64, the law legalizing the adult use of the drug, was passed, California cannabis producers are not seeing the windfalls predicted. They tell Sharyn Alfonsi that regulations and a robust black market are cutting into legal pot profits.
Well, why would I buy from some big company when I can just grow the stuff myself and know it's free from whatever the corporations will put into it?

Then you also have the agencies like the FBI, CIA, DEA as well as the local police that will do anything in their power to sabotage the legalization of marijuana because they themselves make too much money with it being illegal.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:23 AM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You're right, nothing works in my state.

We have the No. 1 economic output in America.
We have the No. 5 economic output in the world.
We are No. 1 in America in manufacturing.

Yup, nothing works.
HAHA! From industries that were there before the liberals took over. But I can guarantee, it will change the more crazy the loonie liberals get. In Florida, Georgia and Tennessee and of course, Texas, these states been seeing an increase in California businesses migrating to them because their taxes and laws are not as crazy. Even Hollywood has been moving their headquarters to Atlanta, Georgia to get away from the high taxes.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:54 PM

1,745 posts, read 879,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, legalization at the national/ Federal level is what needs to happen. Very suspicious that there have been NO candidates running on this platform, since so many citizens are in a favor of it, being supportive of it would probably lead to an easy election win.

Actually, every dem candidate except Biden is running on legalizing it. Some even running on legalizing all drugs. Biden, however, is only in favor of legalizing it for medicinal purposes, not recreational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies