Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 12:23 PM

88,613 posts, read 44,334,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
As expected, you assume that I'm laughing at the suffering of others.

Far from it. I was laughing at your opinion of what caused it.
You can stop laughing now:

Quote:
"The hard truth is that California is built to burn. For decades, the state has stamped out wildfires instead of letting them burn naturally, causing fuel to accumulate. And Californians can’t help but keep building homes right up against wildlands, often in wind-funneling valleys, putting themselves literally in the line of fire."
https://www.wired.com/story/pge-cali...-power-outage/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 12:31 PM

18,427 posts, read 9,053,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How is it a hidden cost ? if you are paying premiums from payroll deductions, then the only difference between the current system and medicare for all is who gets the money.

Also, if you are willing to spend more money because it is hidden , you shouldnt be apart of this debate.
If a person has health insurance through their employer, they don’t see the full cost of their healthcare (in the form of less take home pay). With taxes, they can clearly see how much is taken out, so they experience the pain of paying the tax. That’s what’s so awesome about the healthcare racket: people are paying through the nose, but they don’t even realize how much they are paying because it doesn’t show up on the pay stub.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,460,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
It doesn't matter the total cost of my insurance. What matters is how much I pay, the net cost. Why do people have so much hate for employers subsidizing insurance? It's not like it's taxpayer money. And when it is taxpayer money for you people it's okay? Makes no sense.

Lol and there are millions and millions and millions of Americans who love their jobs/benefits. They're not stuck for the insurance, sheesh.
I hate an employer subsidizing my insurance, because when I change jobs, I go back to being uncovered again for 30 to 90 days, as COBRA (the real cost of the policy) is outrageous

Old 10-26-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Social Security estimated 1.8 million illegals people were working with fake or stolen IDs. As such, they paid Federal, Payroll and where applicable, State taxes. Social Security is increasingly reliant on this stream of revenue to fund Social Security benefits. In 2010it was $13 billion.
And how much do they take in public assistance benefits? By the way, if the IRS can't even determine a fake ID so pays out anyway, how is a single employer supposed to sleuth out identity theft/fraud? I hope you realize that as soon as a "brown" person is challenged over their ID documents, screams of racism ensue from the left.

https://www.fulcrum.com/child_credit/

And that report is from 2010. Nothing has changed other than the MUCH larger amount paid out to illegal aliens now.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:49 PM

29,485 posts, read 16,335,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If a person has health insurance through their employer, they don’t see the full cost of their healthcare (in the form of less take home pay). With taxes, they can clearly see how much is taken out, so they experience the pain of paying the tax. That’s what’s so awesome about the healthcare racket: people are paying through the nose, but they don’t even realize how much they are paying because it doesn’t show up on the pay stub.

I honestly cant figure out if you are joking or not, but im assuming so.

Your insurance premiums are not part of your take home pay. They do show up on your pay stub. What company do you work for that lies to you about how much you get paid after deductions ?

Old 10-26-2019, 12:50 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,640,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I hate an employer subsidizing my insurance, because when I change jobs, I go back to being uncovered again for 30 to 90 days, as COBRA (the real cost of the policy) is outrageous
Plenty of jobs out there where benefits start at day one. Evil, awful, America-ruining Amazon does it.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,460,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Does PG&E have any competition? No. Does it have any incentive to improve in aging infrastructure? No.
Do I have a better idea? Yes. Open the market up to competition, get the state out of private electricity.

We are living in jetson times with flinstone services
How exactly would competition work with utility delivery? You would have to have a superhighway of different pipes and power lines over a mile wide, it's not logistically feasible

Old 10-26-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
States/ utilities/ political ideologies don?t control the weather.
Weather is only part of the equation. Fire-inducing left-wing fantasy environmental policies, etc. Play a huge role. Can't clear dead wood, etc.? Fire hazard.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I dont know if you are joking or not, but obviously a change to a medicare for all system, would mean more people paying taxes and a change in the system overall. so your 80 million number is wrong.

This isnt that hard to understand.
Explain how "more people" would pay taxes.

Old 10-26-2019, 12:55 PM

29,485 posts, read 16,335,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Weather is only part of the equation. Fire-inducing left-wing fantasy environmental policies, etc. Play a huge role. Can't clear dead wood, etc.? Fire hazard.
You arent helping your argument LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies