Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not only that, but obesity is correlated to no/low-income. So, those least able to afford medical care for themselves have made deliberate personal choices to make themselves ill with obesity-related diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
That 75% of us are overweight/ obese demonstrates it’s a common challenge regardless of income.

Trump and Oprah have obvious challenges despite the best that money can buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Canada, Australia, and several European countries have multi-tier health care systems in which public single payer is bare bone basics health care and many buy or earn private health insurance that gives them a better and higher level of health care.

In the countries in which that is not true, they have a regressive tax system in place to pay for it, as opposed to the progressive tax system we have in the US.

If you want a more in depth look at how and why European countries tax regressively instead of progressively as we do here in the US, read Growing Public by Peter H Lindert, PhD. Lindert documents how the European social democracies were only able to develop the extensive redistributive social programs they currently have because they used efficient consumption taxes that didn't lower economic growth as much as progressive income taxes and taxes on capital income. Funding extensive social programs requires a tax system that can collect a lot of revenue without hurting economic growth, and only regressive taxation accomplishes that.

More info in a WaPo article excerpt that cites Lindert's book and other research in this post:
How Other Developed Countries Tax and Spend
The 80/20 split in cost sharing is common in many European countries as it is in the US. That’s why private Supplimental plans are common.

Many countries have less progressive tax systems than the US. That’s not the same thing as a flat tax.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
All other countries have private insurance.. as supplemental.

But it is in NO WAY bare bones basic healthcare!!

Right wing propaganda!!

If its not.. please provide us ACTUAL numbers on procedures done in private and public, in 10 of these countries.
Bare bones? No way.

No more or less bare bones than most private healthcare insurance and traditional Medicare in the US.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:04 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
It doesn't matter the total cost of my insurance. What matters is how much I pay, the net cost. Why do people have so much hate for employers subsidizing insurance? It's not like it's taxpayer money. And when it is taxpayer money for you people it's okay? Makes no sense.

Lol and there are millions and millions and millions of Americans who love their jobs/benefits. They're not stuck for the insurance, sheesh.
I love my job in IT and love my health insurance. I have a $20 co pay to anyone in network, no deductibles, need no referrals and is accepted by nearly everyone in my state. A trip to the ER cost $70. All of that for $500 / mo, which covers my entire family. I am paid somewhat fairly but not as much as private sector but this health plan is factored into why I chose working for the state. So tell me how this new Bernie system is going to make things better for me.i would love to know.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:06 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I love my job in IT and love my health insurance. I have a $20 co pay to anyone in network, no deductibles, need no referrals and is accepted by nearly everyone in my state. A trip to the ER cost $70. All of that for $500 / mo, which covers my entire family. I am paid somewhat fairly but not as much as private sector but this health plan is factored into why I chose working for the state. So tell me how this new Bernie system is going to make things better for me.i would love to know.
Have you been reading this thread?

I am vehemently against anything Bernie Sanders, especially M4A which would force me off my insurance.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Why would the University of Toronto, etc., publish "propaganda?" They're actually publishing info on a very serious problem in Canada: public health care coverage is inadequate. Why else do you think 2/3 of Canadians have private health insurance?
It’s scope of Canadian private healthcare is very limited and a common employee benefit.

Traditional US Medicare does not pay for vision, dental, hearing aids, or prescription medications. One has to enroll in and pay for Medicare Part C through a private insurer for prescription drug coverage in the US.

The more costly Medigap plans in the US will pay for the 20% of Plan B that Medicare does not pay for.

There are 12 competing bills for Medicare for All in Congress, right now, going no place, fast. Bernie’s seems the most aggressive. My crystal ball says it’s DOA, as written and he knows it. It also does not resemble traditional Medicare. The more inf published the more fodder for Trump.

In contrast, Trump offered no details on his promise to provide healthcare for ebpverybody and the government is going to pay for it.

It was as much a socialized pitch as Bernie’s is.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
Thinking “outside the box”, could there be a way for Govt to force businesses to pass on healthcare savings (not having to provide employee healthcare since govt would do it through taxation) in the way of increased compensation to the company employees? Employees could be compensated greater in exchange for being taxed by govt for insurance. This might create support from employees in businesses that provide health insurance.

To me, Private and ACA insurance are very unfair to single people since the packages are all developed around child-producing families, including coverage for pregnancy. I would like to design my own policy and not have to pay for things that I would never need and not be forced to pay for others who make that choice.
Given the 1.7 birth rate in the US and that nearly half of all births are paid for by state Medicaid, I would be surprised if the mandatory maternity benefit added a $1.00 to your premium.

The tax code is far more favorable to those with dependents than healthcare. Heck, property taxes which are the primary source of funding schools benefit families with children more so than those without dependent children.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
And, this is the new code produced by a Republican Congress without any Democrat support and signed by President Trump. So, it seems everyone agrees, that those making little should pay nothing.
Tax reform doubled the refundable child tax credit which will likely increase the number of earners who don’t pay federal income taxes that some Republicans, then complain about.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
There is a huge difference between a $20 co-pay in a universal healthcare system and a $4000 co-pay in a private system. The latter leads to people having to beg for money to ensure survival of their children. Its inhumane.
$4000 copay?

Old 10-27-2019, 10:52 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
$4000 copay?
He's likely referring to deductible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies