Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 04:39 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's why many people choose to earn/buy health insurance. They're betting their health care costs will exceed their premiums plus deductibles (which have become exorbitantly high under Obamacare, as health insurance is no longer nearly as risk-based as it used to be and is instead a wealth redistribution program). The insurance company is betting they don't.

Obamacare Has Turned Voters Against Sharing the Wealth - NY Times

Is Obamacare really affordable? Not for the middle class - CNN

How would M4A improve the negative outcome Obamacare has had for millions of Americans?

Budget watchdog group outlines 'Medicare for All' financing options
Yep.

I plugged all of our stuff into the ACA website and just for the silver plan under "average" use the tab would have been over $1800 a month.

Our health insurance costs $230 a month.

(Liberals: I'm WELL AWARE that my employer subsidizes it and don't have a problem with it as some of you do. According to many of you, employer subsidizing is bad but when peoples' tax dollars do it, it's okay )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 10:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Of course paying a private insurance company is mandatory.
no it isn't

the one thing the ACA (aka Obamacare) was counting on was young healthy people opting in...they didn't

why???

In stead of asking why I ask you which makes more sense:

a healthy unmarried 20 something...he goes to the doctor ONCE A YEAR for a check up....cost $60 for the visit, and $200 for the labs...… CASH

or he can pay $60/week for an insurance (that's low) that has a 500 (that's low) deductible....

which makes more sense..... $260 annually CASH out of pocket..

or $3100 + $260 = $3380

does it really make sense for a healthy 20 something to spend 3300 dollars for one single annual check up???

Old 10-31-2019, 04:31 AM

1,705 posts, read 537,577 times
And when they get in a accident and get a $80.000 bill as a result... those $3300 pr year seems cheap, now doesn't it?

Never mind that post accident therapy would be covered as well...

A lot of people dont do the right financial thing... even incredible clever people do stupid personal financial decisions!!
Like getting insurance.. even though you never need it, because its INSURANCE!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I did not accuse you of saying anything negative about the US system in this thread. I was just agreeing with you in principle. There are some Canadians who post on here who think they know the whole US system inside and out. No one does, not even Americans! Certainly not a lot of American politicians. I'm fairly liberal and I used to cringe when Obama talked about health care. I got into quite a disagreement once here on CD with a Canadian about vaccines; I kept saying there is a program for the uninsured so that no one has to go without, and he told me the federal government's tax funded "Vaccines for Children" program was a charity that could fold any day.

I have no idea what you're talking about re: the Health and Wellness forum. It's basically an alt med forum; anyone who wants to talk about mainstream medicine gets flamed, ridiculed, and more.

It's not clear what the US is looking for. For years, yea decades, I have said what most people want is more benefits at lower cost. Ain't going to happen that way. Some politicians, particularly some running for POTUS, think we all want "Medicare for All". Some think we want "Medicare for All Who Want It". And so on.
I didn't mean to convey that you did. I was speaking to the broader room.

The Health Insurance forum is what I'm talking about. It's full of the intricacies of insurance issues.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
Actually, it's multi-tiered. The country of Canada, itself, admits that some people on Canadian public health care have prescription coverage, some have partial prescription coverage, and some have none at all. Read it on Canada's website, again:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...medicines.html

Perhaps hitting yourself in the head has negatively affected your ability to comprehend what you read.
I think anyone here, reading your posts regarding two-tiered healthcare systems, knows that you don't have a clue what that actually means.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:42 PM

88,948 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think anyone here, reading your posts regarding two-tiered healthcare systems, knows that you don't have a clue what that actually means.
Actually, Canada's own website (I already posted the link) describes Canada's multi-tier public health care system. It specifically states that some Canadians on public health care have prescription benefits, some have partial prescription benefits, and some have no prescription coverage at all.

3 different tiers = multi-tier.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 AM

3,623 posts, read 3,403,707 times
Quote:
Actually, Canada's own website (I already posted the link) describes Canada's multi-tier public health care system. It specifically states that some Canadians on public health care have prescription benefits, some have partial prescription benefits, and some have no prescription coverage at all.

3 different tiers = multi-tier.
Interesting. Can you give a province-by-province breakdown? Because, as you undoubtedly know, healthcare in Canada is provided by provinces, not by the federal government.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:29 AM

88,948 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Interesting. Can you give a province-by-province breakdown? Because, as you undoubtedly know, healthcare in Canada is provided by provinces, not by the federal government.
Which further proves my point. Canadian public health care is a multi-tier system. Some Canadians on public health care have more/better coverage than others. I already posted a link to the Canadian government's website. If you want further info, use your google-fu.

Old 11-01-2019, 07:32 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
and some of the provinces are looking at privatizing

Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/in.../28canada.html
Canada's Private Clinics Surge as Public System Falters
The country's publicly financed health insurance system — frequently described as the third rail of its political system and a core value of its national identity — is gradually breaking down. Private clinics are opening around the country by an estimated one a week, and private insurance companies are about to find a gold mine.

The head of Canada's Medical Assn. says they are in need of a major overhaul in order not to collapse.

Task force urges more private health care in Quebec
A provincial task force is recommending health-care user fees and greater privatization to guarantee the viability of medical care in Quebec.

canada.com | Article

The personal bankruptcy rate was actually higher in Canada in 2006 and 2007 (0.30 percent for both years) than in the United States (0.20 percent and .27 percent).
* Medical reasons were cited as the primary cause of bankruptcy by approximately 15 percent of bankrupt Canadian seniors (55 years of age and older).
* Non-medical expenditures comprise the majority of debt among bankrupt consumers in both Canada and the United States; the inability to earn sufficient income to cover these costs -- not exposure to uninsured medical costs -- is the real explanation for almost all bankruptcies in either country.

Inside Canada's health care privatization movement | Vancouver Observer

Private Health Care Could Benefit Canada*|*Yanick Labrie

Looming health care privatization in Ontario | The Council of Canadians

Private clinics continue explosive growth

Forbes Welcome

The worst-run industry in Canada: Health care - Canadian Business - Your Source For Business News

actually many other countries are having difficulty with funding UHC/public health

greece is in the RED

germany is in the RED,
PUBLIC GERMAN acute hospitals face bankruptcy

even France is going BROKE on their health care system....the spent 350 billion to cover 65 million (their population)

spain.........bankrupt
italy..........failing

belguim......failing
iceland.......bankrupt

portugal.......bankrupt

Old 11-01-2019, 08:16 AM

18,800 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

actually many other countries are having difficulty with funding UHC/public health

greece is in the RED

germany is in the RED,
PUBLIC GERMAN acute hospitals face bankruptcy

even France is going BROKE on their health care system....the spent 350 billion to cover 65 million (their population)

spain.........bankrupt
italy..........failing

belguim......failing
iceland.......bankrupt

portugal.......bankrupt
Actually it's not surprising that the PIIGS are failing here. Same as our US states cannot do their own HC. They cannot create money. Without some new central HC money related scheme, it might be HC that brings down the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies