Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 10:15 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times

Advertisements

From Oct. 1919 to March 4, 1921, Edith Wilson took over the duties of hubby Woodrow Wilson because he had a stroke. In other words, from a practical standpoint she was the first Lady President of the U.S. Talk about ground-breaking. She may not officially carried the title but she did the duties. Did she do a good job? Because I am not well-versed in the stuff she was dealing with, I have no idea!

-Some links about this: allthatsinteresting.com/edith-wilson
americanheritage1.com/blog/bid/102917/Was-Edith-Wilson-Woodrow-Wilson-s-First-Lady-or-Vice-President
fembio.org/biographie.php/woman/biography/edith-wilson
newsletter.co.uk/retro/edith-wilson-has-the-united-states-already-had-its-first-female-president-1-9093745
nypost.com/2016/11/05/edith-wilson-was-americas-first-female-president-and-it-didnt-go-so-well%E2%80%8B/amp
ozy.com/flashback/americas-first-female-president-been-there-done-that/61409
paulwandrews.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/the-secret-term-of-americas-first-woman-president

Look I am not really a feminist except for more in the classical sense but this is 1 of the ultimate examples of female empowerment or feminine progress in American politically-related matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:20 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
In this forum all you have to be is female, express an opinion contrary to the conservatives view to be labeled a militant feminist. Interesting woman Edith Wilson

Old 10-25-2019, 10:39 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
She may not officially carried the title but she did the duties.
When Congress passed a bill, did she sign it into law?

Last edited by Roboteer; 10-25-2019 at 11:16 PM..

Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 PM

26,574 posts, read 14,444,771 times
"drunk history" has a great episode about this.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:17 PM

BTW, where was Thomas Marshall, Wilson's Vice President, during all this?

Old 10-25-2019, 11:24 PM

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Wilson

From October 1919 to the end of Wilson's term on March 4, 1921, Edith, acting in the role of First Lady and shadow steward, decided who and which communications and matters of state were important enough to bring to the bedridden president.[32]

Edith Wilson later wrote: "I studied every paper sent from the different Secretaries or Senators and tried to digest and present in tabloid form the things that, despite my vigilance, had to go to the President. I, myself, never made a single decision regarding the disposition of public affairs. The only decision that was mine was what was important and what was not, and the very important decision of when to present matters to my husband."

Edith became the sole communication link between the President and his Cabinet. She required they send her all pressing matters, memos, correspondence, questions, and requests.[33]
This sounds more like she was a major secretary or someone acting out some of the duties of a Chief of Staff. Such people often do these exact things. Since it is impossible for any human President in any condition to take care of all the people requesting an audience, and all the matters people demand his attention for. Not enough hours in the day.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
When Congress passed a bill, did she sign it into law?
I don't know! She is often considered the first de facto Lady POTUS! I suppose I should have made that more clear! Concerning her duties, sure she was not the only running this country (so to speak).

Old 10-26-2019, 06:19 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
From Oct. 1919 to March 4, 1921, Edith Wilson took over the duties of hubby Woodrow Wilson because he had a stroke. In other words, from a practical standpoint she was the first Lady President of the U.S. Talk about ground-breaking. She may not officially carried the title but she did the duties. Did she do a good job? Because I am not well-versed in the stuff she was dealing with, I have no idea!

-Some links about this: allthatsinteresting.com/edith-wilson
americanheritage1.com/blog/bid/102917/Was-Edith-Wilson-Woodrow-Wilson-s-First-Lady-or-Vice-President
fembio.org/biographie.php/woman/biography/edith-wilson
newsletter.co.uk/retro/edith-wilson-has-the-united-states-already-had-its-first-female-president-1-9093745
nypost.com/2016/11/05/edith-wilson-was-americas-first-female-president-and-it-didnt-go-so-well%E2%80%8B/amp
ozy.com/flashback/americas-first-female-president-been-there-done-that/61409
paulwandrews.wordpress.com/2017/07/03/the-secret-term-of-americas-first-woman-president

Look I am not really a feminist except for more in the classical sense but this is 1 of the ultimate examples of female empowerment or feminine progress in American politically-related matters.
This sounds like something I'd expect Hillary Clinton to have done if given the chance during her husband's administration. And while many may be willing to laud Edith Wilson for stepping up to the plate, the entire situation was actually shameful and Woodrow should have resigned as he was incapable of effectively carrying out the duties of his office.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
This sounds like something I'd expect Hillary Clinton to have done if given the chance during her husband's administration. And while many may be willing to laud Edith Wilson for stepping up to the plate, the entire situation was actually shameful and Woodrow should have resigned as he was incapable of effectively carrying out the duties of his office.
Truth be told, I didn't really read each of my provided links. I got them from a Google search relating to her being a de facto first POTUS! This thread was more of "Hey, we have had a female POTUS before from a practical standpoint! Quite an accomplishment! However, the circumstances why and whether or not she did a good job I don't know because I didn't really look into that yet!"

Old 10-26-2019, 09:56 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
During Reagan's second term, many people say he had dementia and that Nancy ran everything. No one knows for sure that will say, but it is very possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies