Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2019, 10:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,308,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The point is that in that op-ed she was arguing AGAINST sanctions, saying that are ineffective (and can in fact embolden the country being placed under sanctions), while whole-heartedly supporting sanctions against Israel via her support of the BDS movement. The OP explained that. So she's opposed to sanctions against every country, except Israel.

Double standards.
You missed the point. She argued against the tendency by both sides of the aisle to apply sanctions without thinking about the possible negative consequences it may have on people we’re purporting to help and pointed out examples where doing so hurt innocent people as well as their opinion of the U.S. She doesn’t say that they can’t be used nor suggest there aren’t situations where they could he useful. She is just urging the U.S. to stop relying on them as the solution to every foreign conflict we have. I tend to agree with her in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 11:45 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,014,046 times
Quote:
Hardly. I criticized an aspect of Israeli policy with which I disagree. On the other hand, have you ever criticized any aspect of the Hamas-led Palestinians (they did elect terrorists, after all) or the Arab countries who talk about wanting to wipe Israel off the face of the map? No, your condemnation is one-sided, and focused solely on Israel. And then you, like all good liberals, criticize people who refuse to go along with that one-sided condemnation.

And shrugging off a Muslim Democrat's antisemitism is the problem. I doubt that liberals would shrug off a Christian Republican's racist remarks. The media would be leading off with it for a full week.

And don't think I don't remember you. You are the one who has made remarks about "Jewish power" and "Jews owning the media" and all sorts of comments that reveal both ignorant and prejudicial things against Jews.

So many of these posters are proving the point of this thread, and that is that singling out Israel for condemnation, while making excuses for others, is driven by anti-Jew sentiment, just as it is with Omar.

Instead of accusing everyone, please confront the fact I provided - Senate leader Mcconnell, Nancy pelosi, Ted cruz, Chuck Schumer were honorable speakers at the AIPAC conference and not at Omar s press meet.

And I am not a liberal, I am a Trump supporter. I am sure you must be disappointed with Trump because he doesnt give a crepe about starting wars with Iran or Syria.

And I do not comment about middle eastern conflict. I only comment when it affects America. for eg, Usury, debt and uncontrolled lending.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:30 AM

30,624 posts, read 21,792,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
With Trump, everything is a dog whistle.

With Omar, everything is a misstep.

Makes sense.

I guess Omar is just an idiot, who posts anti Jewish cartoons becase she is ill informed. Coming from a person who married her brother and bangs one of her white staffers she is obviously brilliant!

Old 10-29-2019, 05:04 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,458,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Instead of accusing everyone, please confront the fact I provided - Senate leader Mcconnell, Nancy pelosi, Ted cruz, Chuck Schumer were honorable speakers at the AIPAC conference and not at Omar s press meet.

And I am not a liberal, I am a Trump supporter. I am sure you must be disappointed with Trump because he doesnt give a crepe about starting wars with Iran or Syria.

And I do not comment about middle eastern conflict. I only comment when it affects America. for eg, Usury, debt and uncontrolled lending.
1) Instead of accusing me, why don't you address what I said: That I was willing to criticize an aspect of Israeli policy, and YOU are unable to criticize anything having to do with Palestinians, Arabs, or Omar? (Because you CAN'T....your bias won't allow it: Israel hate only!)

2) What's this about usury? Your one-sided complaints with Israel have to do with that?! (Wow. Big anti-Semitic tropes there.) What does usury have to do with Israel, other than the fact that anti-Semites peddle that stereotype also. What about all the other countries? Yet, back to Israel....Israel.....Israel. Thank you again for proving the point of the thread: that the one-sided criticism of Israel is driven by anti-Jew attitudes.

3) So what if some Democrats went to AIPAC? Those are the old-timers, and "aging" out. Not a single Democratic candidate was willing to "lower themselves" to attending, and that's what matters.

Finally, you claim you're a Trump supporter in the same sentence you complain about him, with typical liberal accusations. You're no Trump supporter.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You missed the point. She argued against the tendency by both sides of the aisle to apply sanctions without thinking about the possible negative consequences it may have on people we’re purporting to help and pointed out examples where doing so hurt innocent people as well as their opinion of the U.S. She doesn’t say that they can’t be used nor suggest there aren’t situations where they could he useful. She is just urging the U.S. to stop relying on them as the solution to every foreign conflict we have. I tend to agree with her in this case.
You are twisting to find a way to defend Omar's double standards. She is arguing that sanctions against a country have negative consequences, including hurting innocent people, and should not be used. Why then does she adamantly support an anti-Semitic movement that uses sanctions against Israel as a primary tactic? Does she not care about the innocent people in Israel?

And true, she doesn't suggest that there aren't situation where they aren't useful. She thinks they're useful against Israel. Period. The question is why. Why no good against all these other countries (mostly Muslim, by the way) that she mentioned, and yet she's OK with hurting innocent people - she did say sanctions hurt innocent people - if it's Israel? What other country does she encourage sanctions against?

It is scary the degree to which people deny the double standards when it comes to Israel. It's so obvious it's blinding. Read Krauthammer's last book (published posthumously) in which he explains how there is no other explanation for double standards other than antisemitism, for more insights, if you care to.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:38 AM

Challenge to liberals: Is a single one of you able to acknowledge any wrongdoing on the part of Arab countries in regard to Israel? (Or Arab treatment of Jews in general?) Sure seems as though you are dead-set on restricting 100% of your condemnation to Israel.

I've been accused of never being willing to be critical of anything Israel has done, which I refuted. I then in turn challenged any liberal to criticize anything Israel's enemies have done, and none has been able to. (The liberals' continued insistence that the fault lies entirely with the Jews is scary.)

And please, in answering, try to leave out the anti-Semitic tropes, or criticize Jews again. That last poster who brought up "usury" in conjunction with Israel was just over the top.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:56 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,014,046 times
Quote:
1) Instead of accusing me, why don't you address what I said: That I was willing to criticize an aspect of Israeli policy, and YOU are unable to criticize anything having to do with Palestinians, Arabs, or Omar? (Because you CAN'T....your bias won't allow it: Israel hate only!)

2) What's this about usury? Your one-sided complaints with Israel have to do with that?! (Wow. Big anti-Semitic tropes there.) What does usury have to do with Israel, other than the fact that anti-Semites peddle that stereotype also. What about all the other countries? Yet, back to Israel....Israel.....Israel. Thank you again for proving the point of the thread: that the one-sided criticism of Israel is driven by anti-Jew attitudes.

3) So what if some Democrats went to AIPAC? Those are the old-timers, and "aging" out. Not a single Democratic candidate was willing to "lower themselves" to attending, and that's what matters.

Finally, you claim you're a Trump supporter in the same sentence you complain about him, with typical liberal accusations. You're no Trump supporter.
1) I dont care if you support israel or criticise their policy. I dont care about the middle east because, even if israel gives them a full country, they ll want more. And still spread hate about Israel. Omar is just an example of that. However educated or rich one can become, old havits die hard.

2) I m worried about the bank interest rates because it affects me. If you pride on being entreprenuerial and hard workng , you should also be ready to face criticism.

3) pelosi can become president if prez and vp are unavailable. Thats the power she commands. Trump, hillary, pelosis kids are married to jews. No one really cares about what omar says.

4) u need to improve your reading comprehension. I support trump and support his stance of not fighting others wars.

5) and are you a dual citizen? Why are you so agitated by omars statement about israel?

Old 10-29-2019, 10:44 AM

6,061 posts, read 1,993,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBirdCamaro1220
gain, how can you defend the actions of the Israeli government? Increasing settlements, the overcrowding of Gaza, and the illegal occupation of Golan Heights among other things?
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t
After the Six-Day War began, the Syrian... armored units fired on villages in the Huleh Valley below the Golan Heights.
On June 9, 1967, Israel moved against Syrian forces on the Golan. By late afternoon, June 10, Israel was in complete control of the plateau. Israel’s seizure of the strategic heights occurred only after 19 years of provocation from Syria...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220
Not only that, but Israel's occupation of Golan Heights is considered illegal, the territory belongs to Syria
So your next door neighbor, who has vowed to run you out of the neighborhood and even to kill you, comes over and sticks a loaded shotgun in your face. You snatch it out of his hand and knock him upside the head, sending him running off, whimpering.

He comes back the next day and demands his "property" back--his loaded shotgun. Do you hand it back to him???

Old 10-29-2019, 10:50 AM

8,480 posts, read 3,295,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So your next door neighbor, who has vowed to run you out of the neighborhood and even to kill you, comes over and sticks a loaded shotgun in your face. You snatch it out of his hand and knock him upside the head, sending him running off, whimpering.

He comes back the next day and demands his "property" back--his loaded shotgun. Do you hand it back to him???
The issue (personally) is with continued Jewish settlement of the West Bank: the neighbor had children who due to the unpleasantness moved to another neighborhood. Now the descendants of the one neighbor want the children of the other to move even further away - losing property other than that loaded shotgun. Maybe - they say - there are bad genes.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
1) I dont care if you support israel or criticise their policy. I dont care about the middle east because, even if israel gives them a full country, they ll want more. And still spread hate about Israel. Omar is just an example of that. However educated or rich one can become, old havits die hard.

2) I m worried about the bank interest rates because it affects me. If you pride on being entreprenuerial and hard workng , you should also be ready to face criticism.

3) pelosi can become president if prez and vp are unavailable. Thats the power she commands. Trump, hillary, pelosis kids are married to jews. No one really cares about what omar says.

4) u need to improve your reading comprehension. I support trump and support his stance of not fighting others wars.

5) and are you a dual citizen? Why are you so agitated by omars statement about israel?
Because she is interested in weaponizing antisemitism! She even reached out in regard to a conference named just that: how to weaponize antisemitism! You think I have no worries about a Congresswoman who is trying to advance Jew-hate? She has successfully pulled all the Dem candidates to her side. Now they're even threatening to cut off aid if the Jews don't give in to the enemies seeking to destroy them.

And again, what in the WORLD does bank interest have to do with your hatred for the Jewish country? Oh, right....those Jews and their usury. That's one of the oldest antisemtitc tropes around.

And you still can't bring yourself to criticize any of Israel's enemies, can you? You keep proving the point of this thread.

(And stop with the dual loyalty snark. I am a proud citizen of the U.S., and Gentiles who bring up dual citizenship reveal more anti-Jew attitudes.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies