Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2019, 06:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

The other day, I saw that some supporters of Andrew Wang had put his smiling face on a $1K bill and that just hit me wrong.

I know people have defaced money forever, for whatever reason, for against or for one or another. Perhaps I didn't give it that much attention back then but seeing the one thousand dollar bill used like that, well, I felt like another statue had been pulled down.

I was no fan of Mr. Wang before but I think this just compounded things to never be one at all.

What do you think? Do we eventually get to a point of defacing where enough is enough? That if someone has no respect for one's history or background that we may want to have nothing to do with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
I would have thought defacing money would be illegal in the US as in other countries such as the UK.

As for Grover, that's not a name you hear very often these days, and is a bit close to the word groper.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I would have thought defacing money would be illegal in the US as in other countries such as the UK.

As for Grover, that's not a name you hear very often these days, and is a bit close to the word groper.
It is doubtful they were defacing actual $1000 bills. They haven't been printed in decades and, as the name implies, are rather pricey.

Getting offended over this seems rather snowflakey. Of all the reasons not to support Yang, this was the final straw?

Old 11-07-2019, 07:01 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

It`s only illegal if it`s an attempt to defraud someone.
https://legalbeagle.com/6535889-defa...ency-laws.html

Old 11-07-2019, 07:09 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Do you have a link for this fast breaking bombshell of a story?

Old 11-07-2019, 07:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Do you have a link for this fast breaking bombshell of a story?

No. Believe it or not, not everything that occurs in reality, in the passing of political supporters, generates a news story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
It is doubtful they were defacing actual $1000 bills. They haven't been printed in decades and, as the name implies, are rather pricey.

Getting offended over this seems rather snowflakey. Of all the reasons not to support Yang, this was the final straw?
Oh, I admit to know who's on 1st (Washington) is something of trivia pursuit, but it is one of those alternate ways of talking about something I like to do.

As things go, it probably was not that accurate of a grand at all. They probably took a standard format of a bill, put a 1000 on it (for Yang's proposal of guarantee income for all of a $1000) and his face in the portrait spot. I didn't stop to examine it.

Poor Grover, to lose one of the two things he is remembered for.....and it would have better if it were the other (that smoking cigars and drinking brandy really isn't that healthy).

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-07-2019 at 07:38 AM..

Old 11-07-2019, 07:33 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Grover Cleveland????? You're worried about disrespect being shown to Grover Cleveland????!!!!????

Oh brother.

Here's a clue for you - Grover doesn't care. And neither does anyone else except you.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Grover went on to star in the Muppet Show and Sesame Street.

Grover - Wikipedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies