Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 12:15 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times

Advertisements

Good lord Tom Clancy would be proud. FARA convictions were practically nonexistent until people freaked out about Trump, yet it happened all the time. And a conviction under FARA certainly does not mean one is convicted of espionage.

Last edited by redwood66; 10-27-2019 at 12:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 485 times
Ive read all Robert Ludlem novels and yes Im old school at age 47. The walls have ears. Its not paranoid its called being vigilant and have stepped in quite a bit of booby traps. Experience with it you can avert death and misery for others. Its your greatest asset . Got to finish cooking . I make the best apple struddle on the face of this great earth. Peace be with . Guard up. Don't ever let it down

Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 AM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,375 times
Quote:
The court filings detail the Russian official's and Butina's efforts for Butina to act as an agent of Russia inside the United States by developing relationships with U.S. persons and infiltrating organizations having influence in the Republican Party and in conservative politics—such as the National Rifle Association, the National Prayer Breakfast and some religious organizations—for the purpose of advancing the interests of the Russian Federation.[
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/18/u...espionage.html

Ignore people mentioning FARA as it is irrelevant.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:58 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Eighteen whole months for being a "spy" and credit for time served while awaiting sentencing -

I'm more disgusted by Bowe Bergdahl.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:47 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://newrepublic.com/article/1530...nt-russian-spy

Surprise surprise, racist Americans backed by a complicit media and corrupt government agencies held an innocent women in detention without bail for no reason.

And everyone laughs it off here in the states.

"Lol, her life is ruined, sucks to be Russian".

Why are Americans such mean spirited and cruel people. You did the same thing to Marianne Williamson.

Butina was here on her own accords as a graduate student majoring in IR to help boost American-Russian relations.

But Americans are brainwashed by their government that Russia is bad and that they must go die in Syria and Afghanistan to protect American 'interests'.

How smug, selfish, and pathetic.
She was essentially a self appointed lobbyist for a certain cause from what I understand and was seeking to create connections between certain politcal entities in Russia and America.

She certainly could be mistaken for a spy although I do not believe her intent was malicious.

She simply should have been tossed out of the country, not jailed.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:00 AM

2,264 posts, read 971,995 times
Butina's real crime was getting involved in U.S. partisan politics at a time when deranged Democrats were looking for someone -- anyone -- to pin Madam's incomprehensible loss to the village idiot on.

Democrats are still foaming at the mouth, leading to the bizarre situation where anyone who doesn't buy their WMD fantasy that Butina was the evil mastermind behind Trump's victory being themselves accused McCarthy-style of being a commie mole.

So it goes.

Last edited by mathlete; 10-27-2019 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-28-2019, 09:44 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Here's what we know about Maria Butina. She pleaded guilty to acting as an unregistered foreign agent to lobby the NRA. Why the NRA and why the Republican's? Why not lobby the Democrats? If you're looking for political influence why not lobby both? We only know a small fraction of she was up to. Did she cooperate and take a plea deal? Supposedly. Is her cooperation leading to other investigations? I know her American boyfriend was being looked at. She reported back to her "handler" Alexander Torshin about her progress to infiltrate American Republican movers and shakers. Her handler Torshin is a Kremlin linked banker sanctioned by the U.S. Butina also made contact with Russian intelligence. Yep, there's pictures.

Evidently the judge thought it was important enough to jail her because she was a flight risk and her crimes were serious enough to prevent that. I'm sure there is more to the Butina story that we don't know about, but if it walks like a spy, acts like a spy, has mother Russia's interest at heart, what would you call her? Innocent?

Old 10-28-2019, 09:55 AM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
ahhh.

You see, here it is.

"comrade". Russia is not communist and yet you're still using dated terminology to suggest something about me.

This is near slander, though I won't go as far as calling it that.

Anti-Russian hysteria isn't new in this country, and its used to support an aggressive foriegn policy and the interests of the corporate elite.

If people were kind and thoughtful, they wouldn't fall into this vicious cycle. Butina didn't deserve to be locked up in solitary confinement and people should have enough shame and sympathy to see there is something wrong with that.

Rather than hateful insinuations to support people that don't care about you, try kindness, consideration, and moral values that supersede political interests.
You give them too much credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I didn't need to lie or slander anyone. They did a fine job of it on their own. There was plenty of proof provided, if you were watching something besides Fox and Hannity.
They're just a bunch ofWaa not my pWesident snowflakies.

It's just that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies