Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 03:45 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:

The report, Tackling Racial Harassment: Universities Challenged, highlighted examples of anti-English sentiment at Scottish and Welsh universities.

A white English member of staff told the inquiry that two Welsh colleagues used a slur when referring to English people: “She was speaking in English and changed to Welsh for that word thinking I wouldn’t understand. I’ve never come across so much racism as when I moved to Wales.”

Heidi Mirza, a visiting professor of race, faith and culture at Goldsmiths, University of London, said the EHRC’s inclusion of anti-British sentiment watered down the impact of racism on people of colour.
It’s about the inclusion of white against white as racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 03:49 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Imagine the uproar if they had tried to include racial mistreatment of whites by non-whites in their report.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:33 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,076,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Imagine the uproar if they had tried to include racial mistreatment of whites by non-whites in their report.
I don't think their would be an uproar I just doubt a quantifiable amount exist in the University Setting since in a 88%-90% White country in which the Uni population is around 92 maybe even as high as 94% white, it's very unlikely they could find incidents of anti-white racism (Racism tends to happen more when the racists are in the majority or at least very large portion of students), right now most minorities in English uni setting at the least 50% of their friend groups are white and that is if you actively try to make minority friends, even in the U.S most of my High School class mates, my HS was about 20% white or slightly less and more like 10% American White if you take out the European/Middle Eastern immigrants now have way more white friends than in HS just because the general University system in America is like 70-80% white and in Texas it's like 55% white even though the state is like 40% white. The dynamics of the Welsh and Scottish hating the English is completely different from racism and I agree should be put into a differing category.

It shouldn't be ignored but Scotland and Wales are being culturally dominated by England and the Welsh culture is rapidly disappearing especially in the main cities it's becoming increasingly Anglicized so of course these folk probably have a bitter taste in their mouth about England (This is what a lot of right wingers Ironically say about America but if you want to see a true change in culture look at Wales in the last 30+ years. The people didn't change that much but the culture has increasingly merged versus the U.S were immigrants culture disappears generation after generation into America while the people itself may have changed best example of the difference is Rural Texas places like Brookshire, Texas are majority Mexican and Black and get called redneck just because the people there have a heavy accent that has no Mexican tinge to it).

This is different from someone dealing with someone being racist because their a racist. The Welsh and Scottish have more of an argument that their anti-English sentiment is less to due with ignorance and more to do with trying to maintain some semblance of cultural heritage rather than thinking they are an outright better ethnic group than the English.

I will say last time I went to Wales, outside of the people being their, it felt like just another part of England. It makes sense that university educated Welsh would feel some type of way, as Welsh in 20 years will just become Western English people rather than a separate culture and eventually things like their Rugby and Soccer teams will just be part of the English team. Scotland and Northern Ireland are still pretty separate but heading in the same direction. I feel for the Welsh because a similar thing is happening to all of the smaller ethnic groups in Nigeria albeit more amicable than Welsh vs. English as many of these ethnic groups where never physically under control of the larger ones but are now culturally merging into the bigger ones.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:53 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Your own post belies what you are trying to say. If they use it then they are exerting power. If they just think it then they are prejudice. This is your explanation.

Frankly either of your descriptions of people are the kind of people I want nothing to do with. People are individuals, and if you are a Dick I don't care what color of Dick you are; but you are no more special because you are a certain color of Dick. You're still a Dick.
Nope, not at all.

It has really nothing to do with exerting a position of power. If a black person is making the hiring decisions and just won't consider hiring white people because he's just not comfortable with white people he's a bigot and prejudiced. Maybe that's based on past experience. Some white people heckled him, held him back in his career, burned a cross on his lawn, whatever. That's not racism. It's just bigotry and prejudice. Racism has that requirement of superiority of one race over another. If the reason he doesn't hire white people is because he believes that the white race is inferior to the black race, then he would be a racist.

But that doesn't require any exerting of power. E.g., white gardener hired by a black homeowner. If the white gardener does a crappy job on the black homeowner's house because it's the judge who put his brother away on a long sentence for armed robbery that's not racism, it's prejudice. The white gardener just has a specific problem with that judge and for his other black customers he doesn't do a crappy job. OTOH if the white gardener just thinks that black people are just inferior and don't deserve or even care about the same quality of gardening that his white customers do, then he's a racist.

If the judge in that scenario gets tired of his white gardener doing a crap job and goes out to hire a new one and only looks at black gardeners, why is he doing that. Does he think that white people are inferior or is it just because he had a bad experience with a white gardener. In the first case he's a racist. In the second case he's just prejudiced. In those scenarios the judge has a position of power over a gardener but the gardener can likewise be racist. It's not as meaningful but if you just don't talk in the grocery store line with black people but do with white people, that's a form of prejudice. It could be racism. More often though it's just prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies