Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 01:58 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Pretty much.
Our neighborhood is fully integrated, but there is a town not far from us where the "skeert" White folks buy homes or even move.

I have a friend who used that to his advantage. He had rented out a home to a White couple who were destroying the property. To make them move he rented the house next door to a Black couple. The White couple moved.
"Trash won't live next to Black folks", he explained.

If I were Black and a White person moved because of me, the LAST thing I would be saying is, "Hey! Come back here!"
This is where I'm coming from. It is about wanting to be accepted. If someone wants to move away from me simply because of my race, not behavior, not the way I keep my property, but my race and race alone, that says alot of how I would be perceived.

Your friend did prove that there are those who will move away just because someone of a different race moved next door. It also made me think about my childhood. Growing up, it was mainly the trashiest persons who bullied me or yelled racial slurs at me.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
If every single Kardashian (except the one) can find elite blacks to get with, then damned-sure the Obamas can.
What is your point?

Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 PM

3,324 posts, read 2,136,040 times
It's possible that being around people who look like you can matter more as you go further down the socioeconomic ladder in a particular area. I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest, for example, that the lone black family living in a white, alcohol and opiate-laden trailer park would have good reason to worry in disproportionate fashion. Likewise, being the lone white family in the PJs is bound to entail a similar risk analysis. Tribal nature tends to be at its most potent, especially with respect to the prospect of forceful action, when people believe they have nothing but their conceptual group identity to lose.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:49 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, says the black family that live in Lilly white areas.
Yep so she would be very familiar and knowledgeable about the topic.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:05 PM

512 posts, read 474,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
It is historically interesting that whites are the only race currently not allowed to live with each other exclusively. All white countries have had forced immigration. White neighborhoods are constantly at risk of some rezoning scheme. White schools have browns/blacks bused in.

What whites don’t realize is that they are in a “race Cold War” and they are vulnerable because they are the only race not actively fighting.
Could you elaborate more on this please? Thanks!

Old 10-30-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
It's possible that being around people who look like you can matter more as you go further down the socioeconomic ladder in a particular area. I don't think it would be unreasonable to suggest, for example, that the lone black family living in a white, alcohol and opiate-laden trailer park would have good reason to worry in disproportionate fashion. Likewise, being the lone white family in the PJs is bound to entail a similar risk analysis. Tribal nature tends to be at its most potent, especially with respect to the prospect of forceful action, when people believe they have nothing but their conceptual group identity to lose.
It depends in many cases. I'm Black and I come from an educated, middle class family. I went to middle school and high school in an area which was predominantly White. I lived in a middle class neighborhood. However, the kids who put me through some of the worst racially motivated harassment, it was from the kids who came from lower class backgrounds. It was from the kids who adhered to "redneck" culture.

Conversely, I got flack from some of the Black kids for being "lame" or "nerdy". It often came from the kids who either came from a rough background or the kids who hung out with kids with the rough background.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Actually when whites move back in and take over a Neighborhood in reverse it's called "Gentrification".
Then the minorities complain about house values being driven up along with property taxes.

Those awful whites can drive out the blacks who can no longer afford to live in a less affordable hood.

We hear complaints of this daily.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:23 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
And people want this woman to run for POTUS. Hard eyeroll here.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You want to see a STARK demonstration of how bad white flight STILL is. Look at the demographic change in Harper Woods High school in suburban Detroit. Look at the graph at the bottom of the page. Look how quickly it has gone from blue to green.
Yup, crap schools and high crime does that. Sort of hard to tell since the school performance only goes back to 2006 when it was 30th percentile and 40% white/55% black versus now 4th percentile performance <3% white/95% black. Not some place I'd send my kids to school for sure.

On the other hand, I graduated from a school that was 28% non-Hispanic white, 15% black, 37% Asian, 19% Hispanic. It wasn't a great school but a pretty good one, 75th percentile for the state in 2004 (earliest year, I graduated in 2003). Nor was it a wealthy school, 40% free/reduced lunch when I graduated versus Harper now 67% and in 2006 30%. Where I grew up has gone from 90% white to 22% non-Hispanic white.

Incidentally, the best high school where I grew up (public, non-charter) has gone from 64% non-Hispanic White in 1988 (earliest year) to 23% white. It's gone from whiter and more affluent to less white and poorer than my high school. It's still a better school.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...14/school.aspx
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/CA/s...79/school.aspx

Interestingly, it's actually possible to have fairly good schools. I guess you could call it white flight since the white population declined, but that's just California overall.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:26 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Actually when whites move back in and take over a Neighborhood in reverse it's called "Gentrification".
Then the minorities complain about house values being driven up along with property taxes.

Those awful whites can drive out the blacks who can no longer afford to live in a less affordable hood.

We hear complaints of this daily.
Us whiteys can't win on this issue, move out, get barked at, move back in, get barked at. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies