Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 10:35 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Which is the problem. A lot of black Americans buy into that culture. It's racist to suggest that Jaymal's networth is lower than Bob Plumber is because Jaymal dropped out at 14 to sling drugs and knock over 7/11s has anything to do with Jaymal's nature. The lower networth has nothing to do with with that Jaymal is a criminal deviant and it's all because of Whitey.
BS! People are just emulating what they see going on in their environment. People NORMALLY buy into some aspect of the culture that is around them. If Jaymal was reared in an environment identical to Bob the Plumber.....Jamal would more than likely turned out to be a plumber too. The problem is, Bob don't want to live in a neighborhood with people who look like Jaymal because he fears people that look like jaymal are murderer, thieves and rapist. Hence, Jaymal does not get a chance to buy into the culture and environment that led to Bob's choice.....because Bob don't want him in Bob's environment.

Quote:
Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with race. It has to do with culture. And, yes in less than 43 pages it's not monolithic. Not all black Americans buy into it and there's white people that buy into similar conspiracies. Usually they blame Mexicans but it's the same nonsense. People who make poor decisions in life want to blame someone else for the consequences of their outcome. That particular trait is just particularly pervasive in black culture.
All Culture is learned. After nearly 400 years here, blacks either learned it from the Natives or whites, because our culture is no longer African. If you want people to be like you....its an apprenticeship. You have to allow them near you to emulate and learn from you. If whites want blacks to behave like whites do then that requires true integration. People have to be near you to emulate you. Blacks were near whites during the period of slavery, as well as, residential in the south after slavery. What was white behavior teaching blacks then? We certainly picked up on that use of the N word for sure....and a lot more negative stuff.

Quote:
Rest of the incoherent rantings basically boil down to two words: not monolithic. Nothing is. Nigerian Americans are part of black culture as well just as Amish Americans are part of white culture. Both white culture and black culture are just parts of American culture which really just a part of human culture as we have an outsized impact globally. Black people are no more monithic than white people. None the less there are many shared values.
Again, there is no such thing as "black culture" in reality. There is an American subculture endemic to the descendants of enslaved Americans.

Quote:
For example, your belief that only ancestors of people owned by white slave owners can be African American. Not all African Americans agree with your opinion, but many do. Not all African Americans believe whitey made Jaymal knock over the 7/11. Some white people believe in Jesus, others in Mohammed, and I'm more of an atheist.
What??? You are not making any sense and you are certainly not stating anything I have said. All I have stated is that 85%, or more, of blacks in America are descendants of enslaved Americans. I view all "black" people as "Africans", whether born in the US, the Caribbean, Africa, South America, etc, and regardless of what language they speak. All "black" people are "Africans" TO ME. I really don't care if other white or black people agree or disagree with that. I consider myself an AFRICAN living in America.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:48 AM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Prior to the 1970's....there was no stigma associated with being a racist. People like the character "Archie Bunker" expressed their bigotry openly without fear or any moral injury associated with being a bad person. In fact, people back then did not see themselves as bad people, despite being bigots.

Today, being a racist has the sting of being seen as a pervert or pedophile. It's something that is seen as ugly, shameful, dirty, immoral. Not only do people not want others to see them as such, but more importantly, it would create a moral injury to the self if a person actually sees themselves as such.

In light of this, OF COURSE, people are going to attempt to rationalize white flight in a way that avoids moral injury to themselves as the case would be if the behavior of white flight was in whole or in part motivated by race. Lets put this in context. Even traditional hate groups like the 3ks don't define their beliefs and behavior as "racist" or "racism" these days. When EVERYBODY is denying that their actions are motivated in whole or in part by race, when its clear that some are, it makes denial of a racial motivation meaningless. Its the reverse of EVERYBODY claiming that EVERY negative inter-racial contact is racist or racially motivated, when many clearly are not.
Archie Bunker wasn't a racist. He was a bigot. He was also a running gag line of a character, a foil of the same mentality that's so common in black culture today. If Archie forgot to water his lawn for three weeks and it died, it was the f---- black commie's fault. If he left his sandwich on his chair it was the damn heespanics. He was the anti-Ward Cleaver. A lovely buffoon but still an imbecile.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
You've been hootin' and hollerin' about this for days, and you still haven't given one reason why anyone should buy a house and raise a family in those Southside neighborhoods that Michelle criticizes people for moving out of (and that she moved out of herself.) I don't think that you're convincing anyone, and you're not accomplishing much.
I doubt that most whites who move out those communities move out due to actual things that happened to them. I think they move out from the speculation and fear that those things will happen to them. As I mentioned before, people create self fulfilling prophecies. If Americans suddenly speculate and fear a stock market crash due to some supposed "sign" then ACT on those fears by divesting from the market, the stock market will in turn crash. Then people will think....the "sign" was correct. It predicated the crash. No, the SPECULATION and FEAR and subsequent ACT/BEHAVIOR of divesting created the crash.....not the sign.

Its white FEARS and SPECULATION from "signs" of a community getting "blacker" that creates a similar self fulfilling prophecy.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Archie Bunker wasn't a racist. He was a bigot. He was also a running gag line of a character, a foil of the same mentality that's so common in black culture today. If Archie forgot to water his lawn for three weeks and it died, it was the f---- black commie's fault. If he left his sandwich on his chair it was the damn heespanics. He was the anti-Ward Cleaver. A lovely buffoon but still an imbecile.
Did you not see the word "Bigotry" associated with Archie Bunker in my post?

I am in my 50's. Racist and Bigots and the combination all rolled into one, were common and accepted in the 60's.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:00 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
True! That was the joke of the entire series - what a fool he was. Remember when he was kissed by Sammy Davis, Jr. - a black and a Jew? The program was put on by a liberal Jew, and he was mocking the old-time prejudices. He wasn't sanctioning the bigotry - he was showing it up for how idiotic it was.

I can't believe any black person today would think that show showed how accepted racism was. Heck, I'm Jewish - and I loved how he showed up the antisemitic stereotypes for their idiocy.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Rationalize it? lol They don't want to be around a group of people who commit a much higher rate of crime percentage wise. That's called common sense.

Granted you'll continually play the race card instead of looking at the behavior. Safe, good black neighborhoods are few and far between. What is it called when whites leave a predominately white area for the same reason? Is that racism too?
So a black person who would rather live in a white neighborhood because it's safer is somehow racist too? Many blacks want to leave bad areas, they don't care about skin color, much like what whites do.

Why don't you name all the rich blacks who live in predominately black neighborhoods. Few and far between I'd bet. Are the ones who don't, racist?

If you move away from black people, when the people who move in have committed no violent crimes, you are a racist. Saying that black people commit a higher percentage of crime, as a rationalization for moving away from blacks who have committed no crimes, is racist.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:03 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
The whole concept of "white flight" is a bogus blame the victim concept if you think about it. Before whites flee a neighborhood they were previously happy with at great cost and inconvenience, others had to first flee in non-white flight into their neighborhood. So what is it really about? Non-white flight and shameless imposition and blaming the "victim".

They say you can only count on two things in life, death and taxes. I'd say now there is a third and fourth thing you can always count on, imposition and scapegoating of the white American populace. Maybe it could be considered the worst form of tax.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
True! That was the joke of the entire series - what a fool he was. Remember when he was kissed by Sammy Davis, Jr. - a black and a Jew? The program was put on by a liberal Jew, and he was mocking the old-time prejudices. He wasn't sanctioning the bigotry - he was showing it up for how idiotic it was.

I can't believe any black person today would think that show showed how accepted racism was. Heck, I'm Jewish - and I loved how he showed up the antisemitic stereotypes for their idiocy.
Did you know that Mel Gibson is one of my favorite actors?

Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If you move away from black people, when the people who move in have committed no violent crimes, you are a racist. Saying that black people commit a higher percentage of crime, as a rationalization for moving away from blacks who have committed no crimes, is racist.
I don't think the standard has to be wait till violent crime victimizations happen and your property value drops drastically although that is usually a given. There's any number of ways under the sun that bad neighbors moving in can cause deterioration of your neighborhood and a lower quality of life-from thefts, vandalism, loitering, harassment, dirty looks, various unpleasant and suspicious behaviors and sights and sounds, smelling weed everywhere etc etc. You don't get to decide only violent crimes are sufficient deterioration to justify unhappiness and moving.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't think the standard has to be wait till violent crime victimizations happens although that is usually a given. There's any number of ways under the sun that bad neighbors moving in can cause deterioration of your neighborhood and a lower quality of life-from thefts, vandalism, harassment, dirty looks, various unpleasant behaviors and sights and sounds, smelling weed everywhere etc etc. You don't get to decide only violent crimes are sufficient deterioration to justify unhappiness and moving.
No one said it has to be the standard and nobody is asking anyone to wait. Its the assumption that is going to happen, because the community is getting more blacks, when it has not yet happened, that is racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies