Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 12:15 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I doubt that most whites who move out those communities move out due to actual things that happened to them. I think they move out from the speculation and fear that those things will happen to them.
You're wrong, and somewhat naive, I think. I was once that way too.

20 years ago we purchased a little fixer upper in an older neighborhood here outside of Charlotte, N.C. that was "mixed". There were the original purchasers of the 1940's to 1950's homes, modest smaller bungalows, a few young families like us just starting out, and quite a few of the homes were rentals with African American tenants. We knew this going in, but I had no reason to believe this would be a problem at all. To my way of thinking, we were going to fix the house and yard up, become good neighbors, and help contribute to the neighborhood. My thought was that since we were decent people, and meant no harm to anyone else, they wouldn't having any reason to cause harm to us.

I was WRONG.

Before we could even get the home into move-in condition, our home was broken into and we were robbed of all of the power tools we were using to rehab the house. Before the robbers left, they tried to set the house on fire by lighting a fire in the middle of the wood floor we were working to restore. Just a few nights after moving in, my then 5 year old daughter came running into our room frightened to tell us a "man" was outside looking into our cars. My husband rapped loudly on the window and he took off, but not before flashing us the finger. The robbers were eventually caught and turned out to be some of the wonderful "neighbors" up the street.

They had to take out the playground equipment from the children's park across the street because "people" were using the park for hook-ups and drug deals. Dirty needles were found in the nearby creek. We stuck it out for about another year, but saw what was happening to the neighborhood and got out, taking a loss of nearly $8000 to sell the place. Buy then, the street had a bad name and we had a hard time selling it even with the loss.

Today, all of the original residents and young families are long gone, and that neighborhood is one you wouldn't want to drive through in broad daylight. Except for a few people, mostly Doctors and Lawyers in this small town where we live, very few of us are very"privileged". I don't even make 30k. Most people here make less than that. The cotton mills that used to sustain the town disappeared in the early 1990's. We're all struggling to get by here.

We're not racists because we left those circumstances. We work hard for what little we have. We went into that neighborhood with all the "kumbaya" sentiments that most liberals have. But there's the way you WISH things were. And then there's the reality of how they really are. Facts. It's the things you see with your own eyes that are right in front of you, the things we're told not to "notice" or we are somehow bad people. No, we're smart people. And if my current neighborhood EVER turns into a **** hole, I guarantee, fly away we will.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
How do you know which black people are which? You only know after the fact of them doing something like shooting and partying and most whites are not going to wait around to find out which is which when "too" many blacks start moving in.
Pretty quickly, actually. As long as they're not having 50 cars a day driving up (I'm sure they were just selling organic jams) and frequently get into shouting matches and brawls in the middle of the street its a good sign.

Even as a relatively sheltered white kid I'd figured out when house parties were sketchy by high school. Of course that's what a lot of people like, the adrenaline rush basically. We had an Asia family move in down the street that was throwing them for a while. No shootings but too many people, too much drug use, high tempers. After about the fifth time the cops busted it up at 10:30 they got the point. Not the neighborhood for those kinds of parties. Unfortunately, the Orinda party was Halloween so a busy night and they were shooting each other before 11:00.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:27 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
I am not saying its a standard because it would require me to assume that they would eventually become victims. I am saying that if they stay they may never become a victim of a violent crime. Certainly if the white people stay and the black people who have moved in thus far have not demonstrated any propensity for violence, another white moving only INCREASES the opportunity for a black family who does demonstrate such a propensity to move in. Again, white fear and speculation leads to white behavior that helps manifest their fears in reality. Eventually if all whites move out then the probability is greatest that the super small percentage of blacks who are murders, robbers, rapist and the like....will move into a community.
A white neighborhood can't insure that only good and positive people are moving into their neighborhood any more than the black neighborhood could which people are non-white flighting from. It's a fallacy that white people move just because a good family that happens to be black moved in. It's after bad neighbors move in and they start sensing a decline.

Anyway, my point is violent crime isn't the only standard that makes it acceptable for a person to move. Like I said there are any number of ways under the sun that new neighbors can deteriorate one's neighborhood and standard of living. So whatever a person's standards are for wanting to leave their neighborhood, it's acceptable.

Flip this around, we don't ask and question why non-white people flighted from their previous neighborhood into the formerly white neighborhood, so how can we in turn question those flighting away from their formerly white neighborhood? We can't say it's all good for the former to flight and not the later.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
In todays PC world what you say, no matter how innocent, can be "perceived" as an insult. And then there is the liberal demonization of whites. I get it Michelle, you and other liberals hate whites and you pass on your poison, which some people are receptive to. Uncle Joe contributes too ..."They'll put ya'll back in chains". Did people actually believe that?

eh, I don't need the drama.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:38 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Dear Michelle Obama, I reject the notion that the blackness of your skin absolves you from the hate you are spewing from your lips.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
A white neighborhood can't insure that only good and positive people are moving into their neighborhood any more than the black neighborhood could which people are non-white flighting from. It's a fallacy that white people move just because a good family that happens to be black moved in. It's after bad neighbors move in and they start sensing a decline.

Anyway, my point is violent crime isn't the only standard that makes it acceptable for a person to move. Like I said there are any number of ways under the sun that new neighbors can deteriorate one's neighborhood and standard of living. So whatever a person's standards are for wanting to leave their neighborhood, it's acceptable.

Flip this around, we don't ask and question why non-white people flighted from their previous neighborhood into the formerly white neighborhood, so how can we in turn question those flighting away from their formerly white neighborhood? We can't say it's all good for the former to flight and not the later.

It's not a fallacy and we are not talking a situation where a black family moves into the heart of an area that is majority white for miles in all directions. What we are talking about, now, are areas that are close to predominately black areas. A good black family moving into a once nearly all white community that borders a mostly black community is often viewed as a sign that the white community will be a majority black community soon.....with issues like crime and so forth.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:42 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,702,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
You're wrong, and somewhat naive, I think. I was once that way too.

20 years ago we purchased a little fixer upper in an older neighborhood here outside of Charlotte, N.C. that was "mixed". There were the original purchasers of the 1940's to 1950's homes, modest smaller bungalows, a few young families like us just starting out, and quite a few of the homes were rentals with African American tenants. We knew this going in, but I had no reason to believe this would be a problem at all. To my way of thinking, we were going to fix the house and yard up, become good neighbors, and help contribute to the neighborhood. My thought was that since we were decent people, and meant no harm to anyone else, they wouldn't having any reason to cause harm to us.

I was WRONG.

Before we could even get the home into move-in condition, our home was broken into and we were robbed of all of the power tools we were using to rehab the house. Before the robbers left, they tried to set the house on fire by lighting a fire in the middle of the wood floor we were working to restore. Just a few nights after moving in, my then 5 year old daughter came running into our room frightened to tell us a "man" was outside looking into our cars. My husband rapped loudly on the window and he took off, but not before flashing us the finger. The robbers were eventually caught and turned out to be some of the wonderful "neighbors" up the street.

They had to take out the playground equipment from the children's park across the street because "people" were using the park for hook-ups and drug deals. Dirty needles were found in the nearby creek. We stuck it out for about another year, but saw what was happening to the neighborhood and got out, taking a loss of nearly $8000 to sell the place. Buy then, the street had a bad name and we had a hard time selling it even with the loss.

Today, all of the original residents and young families are long gone, and that neighborhood is one you wouldn't want to drive through in broad daylight. Except for a few people, mostly Doctors and Lawyers in this small town where we live, very few of us are very"privileged". I don't even make 30k. Most people here make less than that. The cotton mills that used to sustain the town disappeared in the early 1990's. We're all struggling to get by here.

We're not racists because we left those circumstances. We work hard for what little we have. We went into that neighborhood with all the "kumbaya" sentiments that most liberals have. But there's the way you WISH things were. And then there's the reality of how they really are. Facts. It's the things you see with your own eyes that are right in front of you, the things we're told not to "notice" or we are somehow bad people. No, we're smart people. And if my current neighborhood EVER turns into a **** hole, I guarantee, fly away we will.
You can't use anecdotes about your personal experience to say what is the wide spread behavior. All you can do is speak for your behavior or what you have personally seen. There are over 300 million people in the country. Personal experience demonstrates nothing but your personal experience.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:46 PM

24,605 posts, read 9,442,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Dear Michelle Obama, I reject the notion that the blackness of your skin absolves you from the hate you are spewing from your lips.
*And the perceived self-victimization she spews regarding herself and the black community.

It's sickening, the first black lady of the white house who had millions of white voters support her husband for 8 years, still claims America is Jim Crow racist. The same America where Asian Americans and African immigrants are prospering greatly everyday.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
What is amazing is if the Democrats focus was on class warfare instead of white people stink they would win elections.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
It's not a fallacy and we are not talking a situation where a black family moves into the heart of an area that is majority white for miles in all directions. What we are talking about, now, are areas that are close to predominately black areas. A good black family moving into a once nearly all white community that borders a mostly black community is often viewed as a sign that the white community will be a majority black community soon.....with issues like crime and so forth.
No we are not. I'm talking about miles of formerly white neighborhood, entire cities and the majority of a metroplex transitioning over a few years and going downhill from bad neighbors flighting in from distant locales, and the good neighbors leave.

Last edited by mtl1; 11-03-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies