Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 08:14 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Oddly I do not see anything on the surface that explains it.

She seems diligent enough to create the log.

Yes it is MUCH harder for people over 40 years to get a job. MUCH harder. But 500+ applications later. There must be something. I do not see it tho.

The only thing I would suggest to her is to look into companies that use SKILLED temps. Last one I used before I landed my perm job netted me good money and like 6 current references.
I have a friend who used a temp agency which ended up landing them a great permanent job. Sometimes employers find you are a perfect fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 08:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
We have been in an economic expansion since 2009. The woman in the following article Laura Ward has applied for 500 jobs with no bites. There is something wrong in the Obama / Trump economic rebound.

Here is the article if you can open it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/b...nemployed.html

Intelligent thoughtful replies only please.
Corporations are doing well. Not so about normal people. everyone who are in a job are just griding it out with hardwork and networking. I hope she can network and land by referral. I too have been in this situation in the past. online applications pretty much never works or goes to some lazy HR's who dont even care about the company or the applicant.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Jobless in a Booming Economy
You are not the only one, and the LFPR rates prove it. The "booming" economy is an illusion to many people. IT is still taken over by Indians, for example. Not easy for US IT workers to find new jobs.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 2,235,359 times
Lots of people are working and quite a few have a full time plus a side job or second job. That need for many to seek A side job or second job on top of their full time employment tells me that cost of living is still kick people’s butt in this economy.

I also believe that the middle class have been lied too by politicians and confused by advertisers on what type of lifestyle a middle class person can afford. If I paid attention to television shows, politicians, and reality TV I would be depressed all the time about my quality of life.

Personally I believe that the expectation of quality of life for the middle class has been stretched and is now not reflective of what a middle class income can actually afford. Although I will also note, if the middle class knew how much different their actual affordable lifestyle is compared to fantasy land they would likely riot and the economy would tank.

Excessive consumer spending is required to maintain our current economic state. Middle class spending cuts would cause a recession almost immediately, politicians and banks know it so it s better to keep you spending and bankrupt than tell you the truth.

Which is:
1: No you cannot afford a 50k ford truck just to drive to a office job
2: No you cannot afford a 2500sf house, three kids, two new cars, and vacations, that disappeared in the 90’s.
3. No you cannot afford designer clothing on top of you new home and car
4. No y out cannot eat out constantly, you actually have to cook more than 2 times a week
5. No you don’t get to take nice vacations without scrimping and saving all year to do so.

It those are all things politicians on Both sides and advertisers lie about. Let’s not get into social media and how it warps you’re perceptions of what is possible with a middle class income.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:35 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
We have been in an economic expansion since 2009. The woman in the following article Laura Ward has applied for 500 jobs with no bites. There is something wrong in the Obama / Trump economic rebound.

Here is the article if you can open it: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/b...nemployed.html

Intelligent thoughtful replies only please.

My honest opinion

No idea about her age but probably late forties or fifties. No idea what her initial education level was. No idea if she had any continuing education, sharpening job skills or additional degrees since the 1990's when she was working. She was project manager of a small advertising firm and unless she broadened her skill set it may not be applicable to other industries as project manager. She is in NJ where the competition for jobs is high even though there are more available jobs. So if she wants to move she might have better luck but then she might not be able to do so due to family reasons. Finally I suspect some degree of age discrimination as employers would like younger workers with better education and latest skills.

Even though the job market might be hot not everyone who applies for a job after being laid off from a narrow field job will get it in the same geographical area. That is the reality. That is why I keep my skills sharp by always having continuing education credits and taking the certification and recertification exams.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
applied 500 times and no bite..... needs to revisit her resume, or she is applying for jobs she is not qualified for
Maybe she can't pass the HR psychometric junk science tests.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:37 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You are not the only one, and the LFPR rates prove it. The "booming" economy is an illusion to many people. IT is still taken over by Indians, for example. Not easy for US IT workers to find new jobs.
yeah you sure proved it.

its all because of indians, illegals and ...ilan omar may, just for the sake of rhyming??

And quoting pittsflyer, its the mcjobs and minimum wage jobs that are booming. Not the real high paying jobs if you do not have the experience or expertise.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
I know a few people, wives of friends, who are having a difficult time getting employment, despite having a degree and experience. The competition for entry level through intermediate level professional positions is quite high in many areas. But there are tons of low skilled jobs if someone really needed work.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:40 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
But 500+ applications later. There must be something. I do not see it tho..
One group did a study submitting identical resumes for someone currently employed and someone out of work for 6 months and the call backs dropped precipitously for the out of work 6 months resume. I can't find the study right now but I think it was like a 5 fold drop in response not counting those summarily rejected after the phone screen or interview.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:45 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
500 applications and no bites? baloney

as typical, the NYT isn't telling the full story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies