Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 01:51 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
That's not rigor. Most graduates couldn't name the states on a map. Smarter voters are obtaining ongoing, professional continuing education from an accredited institution.
Ongoing lifelong learning is a prerequisite for anyone that wants to succeed in life. It does not necessarily need to come in a formal educational setting however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 01:54 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
College is just 4 more years of liberal indoctrination.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:55 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
The bogus claims of college voters being more "educated" than noncollege voters

I have to admit, I have known and known of a few college grads that seem to be dumb as a box of rocks. They can make bad decisions and create all kinds of trouble for themselves.

Someone might claim that these types are playing 3D chess, or something absurd like that.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:57 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Ongoing lifelong learning is a prerequisite for anyone that wants to succeed in life. It does not necessarily need to come in a formal educational setting however.
I disagree. I think more classes, more classroom instruction is going to make for a more educated person than somebody who simply graduated from college.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:01 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
The problem is ‘educated’ treats all degrees the same. Some humanities majors are fluff where you just plagiarize for 4 years and take the watered down versions of science and math.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
I disagree. I think more classes, more classroom instruction is going to make for a more educated person than somebody who simply graduated from college.
You are free to disagree but the fact is that many things can be learned for free today if someone is motivated to put in the work. This was not always the case.

There is essentially unlimited information available today, and many respected universities even offer free courses to the public now too.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
College is just 4 more years of liberal indoctrination.
A very limited and incorrect view of college.

Most subjects studied in college are not directly related to any political ideology.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
By definition, people who completed college are more educated than those who didn't by virtue of the fact that they received more education. I suppose one could argue that trade instruction one received through an accredited vocational or trade school is also education, but the typically last for a shorter length (e.g., less "education") than that required for a liberal arts degree.
Only if you are using college as the measurement for education. The term "educated" in itself does not mean college.

I am sure many would consider someone like Bill Gates well educated, despite his lack of having a college degree.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Is a person with a arts major better educated than an electrician who owns his own business but no college history? Do we ask plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. for their college degrees?
Yes....strictly speaking.

That said, I’m sure that there are autodidactic plumbers and mechanics, but they’re a pretty small minority. I don’t know why you selected “arts major,” but regardless of major, you have to take a full curriculum of college courses covering a plethora of topics to get a degree in any discipline. I have a Poli-Sci degree, but I took a lot of math courses, statistics, world history, philosophy, and economics courses.

A Plumber isn’t learning that during an apprenticeship. I actually completed an apprenticeship while in college.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:29 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Is a person with a arts major better educated than an electrician who owns his own business but no college history? Do we ask plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. for their college degrees?
If someone with a liberal arts degree is more intelligent, why on average do they make less than a Plumber, Electrician, Truck Driver, etc...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies