Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 10:20 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Incorrect. Education is the acquisition of knowledge - it doesn't matter how/where said knowledge acquisition took place.

In my opinion, someone with an MFA is far less educated than a master tradesman.
Yes, in one specific area.

But try getting a job outside of that trade niche. What if you’re physically unable to be a plumber at age 55?

College grads overall earn more over their lifetimes and have fewer periods of unemployment, because they have skills that transcend many different occupational fields. Unless a plumber owns his own company what’s his chances of advancement? You’re much more likely to see a broken-down plumber at age 55 than that stereotypical college trained barista at age 55. The college grads move on to something better. The trade schoolers, not so much.

College grads, as a group, have better oral and written language skills than non-college grads, and that gives them a long term advantage over a non-college graduate in terms of both employment and potential for advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 10:30 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Is a person with a arts major better educated than an electrician who owns his own business but no college history? Do we ask plumbers, electricians, mechanics, etc. for their college degrees?
I think what you are trying to say is that they are not necessarily more intelligent and you would be correct.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Friends remember the premise of the thread, that college educated voters are more "educated" than non college voters, which implies that a college degree makes someone more apt to voting correctly and more educated on ALL the different domestic and foreign topics, which is baloney.

The thread title didn't imply discussion on potential wage earning for college educated vs not.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:37 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I have real life experience and a university degree.

I learned far more in 4 years in the military than I did 4 years of college.

In my opinion college just shows that you can stay focused on a task for a long time until completion. It just means you can progress through steps towards a goal. Most who graduate have a dangerous over inflated sense of intelligence.

I've learned far more in my professional career than I did earning my degree.

I would wager an average truck driver is far more intelligent than an average liberal arts major.
The discussion here is about education, not intelligence. The average liberal arts major is more educated than the average truck driver (assuming they did not pursue higher education). It just is what it is...

Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Then again, very few auto mechanics can design a novel transmission or invent an HVAC system from scratch. Everybody plays a role.
^Exactly.

Guys, this is a weird thread. Yes, the college-educated person has more formal education. That doesn’t speak to intelligence and other types of less formal education.

Why be triggered about this?

Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Friends remember the premise of the thread, that college educated voters are more "educated" than non college voters, which implies that a college degree makes someone more apt to voting correctly and more educated on ALL the different domestic and foreign topics, which is baloney.

The thread title didn't imply discussion on potential wage earning for college educated vs not.
Expanding on my reply

search quote "LIBERAL PROGRESSIVES MORE EDUCATED"

https://www.npr.org/2016/04/30/47579...g-more-liberal

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...-liberal-peers

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/15/o...o-liberal.html

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ew-research-c/

https://www.people-press.org/2016/04...ucated-adults/

all this implies that liberal progressives have determined for themselves that they are more intelligent to make policy decisions for ALL the different foreign and domestic issues, which is baloney. Going to school and getting a degree doesn't make you intelligent or wise in life overall, it just means you learned about a specific trade or subject and graduated with a degree from it.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
^Exactly.

Guys, this is a weird thread. Yes, the college-educated person has more formal education. That doesn’t speak to intelligence and other types of less formal education.

Why be triggered about this?
because often enough progressive left on this board have said they are more educated and it is more intelligent to support the democratic party left and they talk down to others that disagree with them with a "I'm superior and you are inferior" tone.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:13 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
because often enough progressive left on this board have said they are more educated and it is more intelligent to support the democratic party left and they talk down to others that disagree with them with a "I'm superior and you are inferior" tone.
Well... this thread certainly doesn’t dispute that.

Old 11-02-2019, 06:03 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
The discussion here is about education, not intelligence. The average liberal arts major is more educated than the average truck driver (assuming they did not pursue higher education). It just is what it is...
That might be a correct statement, if you limit education to a school setting.

Unfortunately, most people confuse education with intelligence.

My father was illiterate. Didn't mean he was not intelligent, he just had the misfortune to be born in the Soviet Union in 1917.

Here is the definition of intelligence" the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

His son, on the other hand, got an education from a ELITE University in the sciences.

Here is the definition of education....the process of receiving or giving systematic instruction, especially at a school or university.

I always thought I had a much, much better education than my father. I am NOT sure that I am as smart as him.

BUT....I am certain that a liberal arts major is NOT more educated than the average truck driver!!!

Well, at least the truck driver got an "education" in something useful.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
By definition, people who completed college are more educated than those who didn't by virtue of the fact that they received more education. I suppose one could argue that trade instruction one received through an accredited vocational or trade school is also education, but the typically last for a shorter length (e.g., less "education") than that required for a liberal arts degree.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies