Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 10:04 AM

78 posts, read 37,437 times

Advertisements

I find dog owners with the worst of dogs similar to parents with the worst of kids, both of them think their dog and child are little angels. That naïve mindset is probably why the thing turned out to be sh*tty in the first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 10:06 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Its a hard way to learn, all dogs bite.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:35 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
I have no problem with people buying, selling, and owning Pit bulls. However, people should go into it with eyes wide open on their SOMETIMES propensity towards aggressive behavior, and take the necessary precautions. Yes, a Pit bull can seem just fine for years and all of a sudden have issues.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The problem with pit bulls and other such really powerful dogs, is that they lock theor jaws on to a person and have a massive pressure per square inch.

You are more liely to be bitten by others breeds and even yappy small dogs, however in terms of serious injury or death the dog is more likly to be a large breed and have ancestry from other breeds that were initially bred for bear baiting, bull baiting and dog fighting. The America Pit Bull took already dangerous breeds and made the in to even more formidible fighting and killing machines.

Bear-baiting - Wikipedia

Bull-baiting - Wikipedia

List of dog fighting breeds - Wikipedia

As for children, dogs can become jealous if it feels a child is getting too much attention, and it's not a good idea to have certain breeds around children.

Pit bulls cannot "lock" their jaws. Biological impossibility.

Research conducted by Dr. I. Lehr Brisbin at the University of Georgia shows that bully breeds don't show any mechanical or morphological differences in jaw structure when compared to other dogs -- nor do their jaws come equipped with locking capabilities.

To explore the question of jaw strength, a 2005 National Geographic study measured force of bite for several creatures as pounds of bite pressure. On average, dogs exhibited about 320 pounds of pressure, while humans came in at 120 pounds and great white sharks at 600. The study also included a simulated bite sleeve test with a German shepherd, a Rottweiler and an American pit bull terrier. The pit bull actually registered the least amount pressure among the group, despite rumors that bully breeds can clamp down with an alarming 1600 pounds of force.

3: Bully breeds have a stronger bite than any other dog. | Bully Breeds | Animal Planet

To date, there is no scientific proof that bullies are more commonly involved in fatal attacks than all other dogs.

4: Bully breeds attack more humans than any other dog. | Bully Breeds | Animal Planet

Old 11-02-2019, 10:41 AM

16,575 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
This just brings out the pit bull cheer squad and the usual "it's the bad owner" refrain.......while the bodies pile up across the land. 70% of dog bites are from this breed that should have been banned years ago.
As much as I think pitbulls should be limited to people who live in very rural areas, I am not sure that figure is correct.

Pitbulls do account for the most fatalities according to the stats by a large margin. I suspect they also would account for the most serious injuries as well.
But if we are talking about straight up dog bites, I suspect it is probably some little ankle biters, like a mixed breed mutt, probably with some terrier mixed in.
Even if it were the pitbull , there is no way they account for 70% because a lot more people would be in the morgue or disfigured, and they would most certainly be banned in most states.

`

Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I work in the ED.
For almost 20 years.

Puncture wounds to extremities? Maybe some bruising?
Yappy lil dogs, old dogs who got scared/hurt, or idiot owner trying to break up a dog fight and gets nailed. Clean, tetanus, antibiotics, bye bye.

Massive lacerations in multiple places with skin avulsed, noses torn off, plastic surgery repairs in OR?
Effin pit bull nearly every time. Almost always the family's dog, neighbor's dog, or grandparent/uncle's dog.
Meaning known dog raised in household.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:51 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
No breed of dog is worth one single human life. I have no issue with banning the pitbull.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
I find dog owners with the worst of dogs similar to parents with the worst of kids, both of them think their dog and child are little angels. That naïve mindset is probably why the thing turned out to be sh*tty in the first place!
AGREED, AND HOW!!!

I've noticed this with dogs and their owners too. I was walking home from the grocery store one evening. I was on the other side of the street. The house across the street, a woman with walking with her dog. The dog ran after me. As I was trying to get away, the dog kept yapping at me and kept coming after me. She went from "the dog won't bite" to "if you hit my dog, I'll kill you". When the dog was running around in the street and holding up traffic, she was getting frustrated with other drivers and not the dog. "Control your freaking dog" came to mind. And this was not a huge dog. That woman seemed to blame me for the dog's behavior.

What angers me even more are dog owners who just let their dogs run loose. Where I used to live, a few dog owners were notorious for this.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:09 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
What makes people want to keep a pit bull? Are they simply the most cutest, most charming dogs you could ever own when not being vicious?

Old 11-02-2019, 11:10 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I work in the ED.
For almost 20 years.

Puncture wounds to extremities? Maybe some bruising?
Yappy lil dogs, old dogs who got scared/hurt, or idiot owner trying to break up a dog fight and gets nailed. Clean, tetanus, antibiotics, bye bye.

Massive lacerations in multiple places with skin avulsed, noses torn off, plastic surgery repairs in OR?
Effin pit bull nearly every time. Almost always the family's dog, neighbor's dog, or grandparent/uncle's dog.
Meaning known dog raised in household.
This is one thing about me. I don't want go to emergency care at all. I've had a tetanus shot before (in 2004). I don't want to pay for medical services because of dog bites. One reason I avoid pit bulls like the plague.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies