Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 AM

78 posts, read 37,357 times

Advertisements

I am half black, and would die for my wife and kids. But when 75% of people who's skin is like mine abandon their kids and family, how can we call anybody else the devil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 09:58 AM

15,799 posts, read 6,513,604 times
What does skin color have to do with it?

If by that you mean dropping them in the dumpster, I'd say it's a sure sign you're pretty messed up in the head. But if you leave them with care-taking relatives or a loving family, there may still be some hope for you.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:48 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,982,278 times
...more egregious?...aborting it...

Old 11-02-2019, 05:25 PM

30,239 posts, read 23,706,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
I am half black, and would die for my wife and kids. But when 75% of people who's skin is like mine abandon their kids and family, how can we call anybody else the devil?
I'm just going to throw this out there for you to think about:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ace-ethnicity/

From 2017:

White kids in foster care - 193,828
Black kids in foster care - 100,607
Hispanic kids in foster care - 93,507
Two or more races - 32,126
American Indian, Hawaiian, Asian, and those unknown equal about 20,000 total.

Now, keep in mind that some of those "Hispanics" are not actually "Hispanic". I know someone who fostered kids (brother and sister) who came from the "Hispanic" pile who were actually European and Cherokee.

It's a parent issue, not a race issue. Too many parents suck. Badly.

One might also want to take some time to sit back and think about why American Indian, Hawaiin, and Asian don't have such high numbers. It's a pretty easy answer, and one that I should not have to spell out for anyone. Actually think about what those races/cultures have in common with each other as compared to the whites, blacks, and some Hispanics.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:35 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,256,784 times
I agree, abandoning your child or even more "egregious" might be trying to kill your child - has zero to do with race. One of my mother's favorite sayings was ...

"I brought you into this world and I can take you out".
She tried this the first time when I was 15. Her attack on me was with a heavy Steam Iron, point down.

Sick people do these things. Evil people do these things. Selfish/Psychotic people do these things.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:36 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,256,784 times
I agree, abandoning your child or even more "egregious" might be trying to kill your child - has zero to do with race. One of my mother's favorite sayings was ...

"I brought you into this world and I can take you out".
She tried this the first time when I was 15. Her attack on me was with a heavy Steam Iron, point down.

Sick people do these things. Evil people do these things. Selfish/Psychotic people do these things.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:55 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,839,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
What's worse? Killing them... I wish there was a way to find those people and end them before it's too late...

Old 11-03-2019, 12:54 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,861,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

From 2017:

Now, keep in mind that some of those "Hispanics" are not actually "Hispanic". I know someone who fostered kids (brother and sister) who came from the "Hispanic" pile who were actually European and Cherokee.

One might also want to take some time to sit back and think about why American Indian, Hawaiin, and Asian don't have such high numbers. It's a pretty easy answer, and one that I should not have to spell out for anyone. Actually think about what those races/cultures have in common with each other as compared to the whites, blacks, and some Hispanics.
Because they make up about 1/10th of the population maybe? You have to consider the rate by population percentage. A rough calculation would put whites at less than half the rate of the others. That is a substantial difference.

Anyway, I think abandoning the elderly and unable may be as bad or worse, one's parents or relatives and elder neglect in general. A lot of what we call "children" anymore, as old as 17, theoretically and historically have and could fend for themselves.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:11 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,269,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

From 2017:

You're looking at totals of specific race demographics on foster care, ignoring the demographic make up of the United States.

US census bureau presents
White 63%
Black 12%
Hispanic/Latino 16%
Asian/Native American/Hawaiian 5.5%

(Not all rows used may not sum to 100%)

So roughly 194,000 comes from 63% of the population.

If we use that as a yardstick that's roughly 3,000 kids per population point.

If we apply that (assuming normal distribution) to Asian/NA/Hawaiian we'd expect 16,000 kids in the foster system, there's a discrepancy of 4,000 kids in the foster system more than population ratio would provide, or 25% above normalized expectations.

Black/AA We'd expect 36,000 from our yardstick presuming normal distribution, that's closer to 1/3 the numbers in foster care than we know are in there, ballpark there are as many black kids in foster care as white kids. That's Way above prediction.

Conversely Hispanic/Latino we'd expect there to be 48,000, there's actually ~32,000, 16,000 less than predicted.

So if you want a ordered list of "best parents" based on numbers in the foster system, according to race demographics. Its...

Hispanic/Latino
White
Asian/Native American/Hawaiian
Black

So as a society we might want to take cues from Hispanics and Latinos.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:20 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,861,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You're looking at totals of specific race demographics on foster care, ignoring the demographic make up of the United States.

US census bureau presents
White 63%
Black 12%
Hispanic/Latino 16%
Asian/Native American/Hawaiian 5.5%

(Not all rows used may not sum to 100%)

So roughly 194,000 comes from 63% of the population.

If we use that as a yardstick that's roughly 3,000 kids per population point.

If we apply that (assuming normal distribution) to Asian/NA/Hawaiian we'd expect 16,000 kids in the foster system, there's a discrepancy of 4,000 kids in the foster system more than population ratio would provide, or 25% above normalized expectations.

Black/AA We'd expect 36,000 from our yardstick presuming normal distribution, that's closer to 1/3 the numbers in foster care than we know are in there, ballpark there are as many black kids in foster care as white kids. That's Way above prediction.

Conversely Hispanic/Latino we'd expect there to be 48,000, there's actually ~32,000, 16,000 less than predicted.

So if you want a ordered list of "best parents" based on numbers in the foster system, according to race demographics. Its...

Hispanic/Latino
White
Asian/Native American/Hawaiian
Black

So as a society we might want to take cues from Hispanics and Latinos.
Great post but I think it transposed the lower number of "two or more races" for the higher number the Hispanic foster kids listed. So that would switch White with Hispanic for "best parents".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies