Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 01:49 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,627,074 times

Advertisements

For those unawares, Puerto Ricans ARE United States citizens.

Would they have done the same for a visitor from another country like China or Germany? Why do you need immigration papers for this at all.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cvs-rejec...161311488.html
Quote:
CVS officials say they are investigating a claim by a Purdue University engineering student who said he was denied the purchase of an over-the-counter cold medicine because employees at an Indiana store looked at his Puerto Rican driver’s license and told him he needed a valid U.S. ID, before pressing him about his immigration status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 02:03 PM

19,833 posts, read 12,090,217 times
It sounds like our schools are failing to educate students on the basics. I remember this from third grade in my private school. Reading some of the comments following the article is disheartening.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:13 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,427,415 times
The story didn't say what kind of cold medicine, as if it has ephidrine or psuedoephidrine. You do have to have I.D. because some people use those products to make meth.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:27 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
Well,city clerks in Washington DC refused someone a marriage license last year because he had a New Mexico drivers license and they were unaware that New Mexico was a state.
It shouldn't be too surprising that a CVS clerk,who may not have even graduated high school may not be current on the citizenship status of residents of the various US territories.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:40 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
The story didn't say what kind of cold medicine, as if it has ephidrine or psuedoephidrine. You do have to have I.D. because some people use those products to make meth.
Right, they often need to ask for I.D. I had to show it to buy Robitussin the other day. The point isn't that he needed to show I.D.; it's that his I.D. was not accepted because it was from Puerto Rico, which is a US territory.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:41 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For those unawares, Puerto Ricans ARE United States citizens.

Would they have done the same for a visitor from another country like China or Germany? Why do you need immigration papers for this at all.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cvs-rejec...161311488.html
It was most likely contained pseudoephedrine.
Quote:
Beginning January 1, 2012, a retailer shall, before completing a sale of an over-the-counter product containing pseudoephedrine or ephedrine, electronically submit the required information to the National Precursor Log Exchange (NPLEx), if the NPLEx system is available to retailers in the state without a charge for accessing the system. On January 1, 2014, the exemption for convenience packs from the tracking requirement was removed and every retailer that sells PSE products must track them using the NPLEx system.

NPLEx is required to submit the sales and blocked sales to the Indiana State Police for use in the Indiana Meth Investigation System (IMIS).

The required information is as follows:
  • the name and address of each purchaser;
  • the type of identification presented;
  • the governmental entity that issued the identification;
  • the identification number;
  • the ephedrine or pseudoephedrine product purchased, including the number of grams the product contains;
  • the date and time of the transaction;
  • the clerk who is conducting the transaction to initial or electronically record the clerk's identification on the log;
the purchaser to sign a written or electronic log attesting to the validity of the information; and
the retailer may not complete the sale if the system generates a stop sale alert.
My guess, based on trying to buy the *beep* stuff recently, is someone from Germany or China wouldn’t be allowed to buy it. I once wasn’t allowed to purchase it because I made the mistake of telling the lady it was for my husband.

I bet most Americans outside of areas with a heavy Puerto Rican population are unaware they are US citizens, and this is also most likely true of citizens from other US territories.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,118,635 times
Mountain outta molehill. A non story.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:46 PM

9,974 posts, read 5,672,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It was most likely contained pseudoephedrine.
My guess, based on trying to buy the *beep* stuff recently, is someone from Germany or China wouldn’t be allowed to buy it. I once wasn’t allowed to purchase it because I made the mistake of telling the lady it was for my husband.
And yet I'm allowed to pick up opiates for someone I'm not even related to. Go figure.

Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Mountain outta molehill. A non story.
Why, they refused to accept the ID of an American citizen. He has the same rights that you do.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:04 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why, they refused to accept the ID of an American citizen. He has the same rights that you do.
It happens to people from New Mexico, which is why their license plates have USA written on them. It happens to people from the nation’s capitol when someone doesn’t connect the words District of Columbia to DC. Yes, they are all entitled to the same rights as any other US citizen, but this isn’t about trying to purposely deny rights based on looks or accent, it is about the lack of geographic and civic education. Education, I might add, that is constantly on the chopping block in order to cram in more high stakes testing math and reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies