Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 10:46 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

Any click bait article - and Forbes has become a click-bait enterprise (I can tell you more if you like - I know some who write for them) - should always be looked at with caution.

Each situation is different. BUT, there are a lot of things which figure in.

Example - the newest generations are having children much older - my generation (Baby Boomers) tended to have children younger. In some cases we actually outlive our children....or, even if not, leave them money too late for them to party much.

What we are doing (Boomers) is
1. We paid for all their education so they have no debt. Also helped with their first cars and part of the down payments on houses.
2. We will leave some of the money to our kids (avg age now = 42) and some of it to our grandchildren (in trust). I don't know what generation you call those who are toddlers today.

Also, one of our children is 10 years younger than the other two.

So many things figure in...it's impossible to put your finger on these types of thing. My wealthiest relatives have a small family including one L loser and one regular....gal...not even married. So many millions are gonna go to these two, who are about 30-35 now.

My guess is that my grand kids will never want for money.

As far as death taxes, I may or may not end up paying a bunch. The state I live in now has them...but I am didn't make my money here nor am I living here for any reason other than helping support a family member. I am actually not here for those magic 183 days, yet my current domicile is here.

I'm not going to go nuts avoiding the death tax...that is, spite myself to spite the state...but if it works out that I can save a couple hundred grand I could move my domicile to Florida or even to CT (they have a large exemption). We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 10:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
The typical American end of life story(for those that live to old age) is a spend down of all assets on care until you get plopped in a medicaid nursing home bed.
This is very true and my MIL just intentionally passed in such. Her son wanted the little money she had and she wanted it that way too. They made it happen somehow....left my wife (the other sibling) zero except for the last two years of flying around making sure Mom was somewhat taken care of.

It may sound unfair and maybe it is. But she was a child of the Depression and NO WAY she was going to give the Medical/Industrial complex her last dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies