Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:49 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Then stop sending 18-24 year old young men to die in the desert.
And the exception to the 25 year old voting age would be military service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 10:08 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And the exception to the 25 year old voting age would be military service.

There is no exception, because the age should stay at 18. No lower, no higher. Have you ever considered that maybe the reason that the youth is so infantilised nowadays is cuz Y'ALL make them that way? Everybody keeps going on about how immature 18-20 year olds are, but whenever they try to weigh in politically or anything, you shut them down and tell them "You dunno anything! You're just a kid!" Well you're not letting them grow. You're shutting them down. I don't agree with what a lot of 18-20 year olds think and say, but I'm not censoring or silencing them. I'm only 25, I was on that road just yesterday. I know when I was 18 I was way more sheltered and kind of a know-it-all. But it's important to grow naturally, and make those mistakes and realisations, and have those progressions of opinion.

There's absolutely NO reason we should treat a goddamn 24 year old as a child. Military service or otherwise. You want mature 18 year olds? Let them be adults. Let them vote. Let them buy booze. European young adults are leagues more mature than our young adults. We infantilise the hell out of our youth and then shame them for being immature? Stop treating them like children when they got a goddamn forest growing below the belt. They're grown!

And let's not act like there's not plenty of old farts who don't have a clue, still think it's 1971, voting. There's a lot of old SOBs out there who won't live to see the middle of this century, yet they vote for politicians who will actively contribute to the degradation of this planet and climate. But I dun wanna take away their right to vote. If they're US citizens, by all means. What makes this country great is that even the stupid has a right to vote, old or young.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
There is no exception, because the age should stay at 18. No lower, no higher. Have you ever considered that maybe the reason that the youth is so infantilised nowadays is cuz Y'ALL make them that way? Everybody keeps going on about how immature 18-20 year olds are, but whenever they try to weigh in politically or anything, you shut them down and tell them "You dunno anything! You're just a kid!" Well you're not letting them grow. You're shutting them down. I don't agree with what a lot of 18-20 year olds think and say, but I'm not censoring or silencing them. I'm only 25, I was on that road just yesterday. I know when I was 18 I was way more sheltered and kind of a know-it-all. But it's important to grow naturally, and make those mistakes and realisations, and have those progressions of opinion.

There's absolutely NO reason we should treat a goddamn 24 year old as a child. Military service or otherwise. You want mature 18 year olds? Let them be adults. Let them vote. Let them buy booze. European young adults are leagues more mature than our young adults. We infantilise the hell out of our youth and then shame them for being immature? Stop treating them like children when they got a goddamn forest growing below the belt. They're grown!

And let's not act like there's not plenty of old farts who don't have a clue, still think it's 1971, voting. There's a lot of old SOBs out there who won't live to see the middle of this century, yet they vote for politicians who will actively contribute to the degradation of this planet and climate. But I dun wanna take away their right to vote. If they're US citizens, by all means. What makes this country great is that even the stupid has a right to vote, old or young.
I couldn't agree with you more. And yes, the people responsible for today's young adults being overgrown children are the parents...basically my generation. I'm 50, and I know I was much more mature at 18 then many of today's 18 year old's and I was a complete dumbass. Talking with my friends that are in their late 50's I am floored at the things they were doing at 13, 14, 15 years old compared to what I was doing at 18. It seems like every generation we create young adults that are anything but. Like with many of our current societal problems , much of it comes back on parenting.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:31 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
When kids are allowed to vote at 16 they become more engaged with civic matters for the rest of their lives and much more likely to keep voting through their adulthood. The difference between starting to vote at 16 and at 18 is night and day. Kids that start voting at 18 are disengaged and don't care, an attitude that most employs for the rest of their lives.

I can see why right-wingers are so against a policy that would increase voter turnout.

16 is too young..for voting, marriage, contracts, to be tried as an adult, to join the military, and for drinking

liberals constantly say that the brain is not developed enough for 18yr olds to be drinking, that is why we have a 21 drinking age

liberals also constantly call for equality...... then everything should be equal..if you say the drinking age is 21, then it should also be 21 for voting and joining the military

why do liberals constantly scream equality ONLY when it suit them

Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 AM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Age of consent in NJ is 16 and in many states.
You don't need common sense for sex. As it's been proven time and time again.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:41 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
You don't need common sense for sex. As it's been proven time and time again.
The reply you quoted was a reply to another post related to sexual consent and statutory rape laws....

Of course you don't need common sense for sex. No one is stating otherwise...

i will say this.... In general, we shouldn't legislate common sense. It is ineffective and simply limits freedoms of those that do have common sense to make choices for themselves.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:47 AM

284 posts, read 78,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Most kids at 16 are boneheads, 18 ain't much better. I'd be more interested in raising the voting age a couple of more years instead of lowering it.
Agree...more like in the age of 21 years.

Most people really don't really think and behave maturely till age 30...lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies