Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 06:17 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Smartphones are not expensive, You can buy one at Walmart for $30. I doubt that these bought in volume are that much.
You used to be able to buy one at this Walmart for that cheap. I looked over the phones recently. The cheapest one there was one on clearance for $99.99 that had been $199.99. They got rid of all the cheap ones when they remodeled. I have no idea if this change is at all Walmarts or not. We only have one here in this town. The cheap phones they used to have were much better quality than the ones they give out with these government phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 06:36 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yes, and notice how they cherry pick a sob story as if to imply all recipients of "free" phones and service are like that guy or worse.

Why not run a story about John Smith who uses he free phone to sell drugs on the street corner, and with Trumps administration cutting back, it will adversely effect his criminal enterprise?

I like many Americans do not mind helping out those genuinely in need. However this nonsense of saying phone, TV, internet, etc. are all necessities is absurd.
I put "free" in quotes because even if we are not paying for it is our taxes, all those funny sounding names under surcharges on the bill we are paying for our services (i.e. Universal Connectivity Fee), is mandated by the government. They just do not call it a tax even though there is no choice not to pay such fees.

I wonder how Chief Justice Roberts would vote on whether it was a tax or not if it was ever challenged legally?

`
Because someone who sells drugs on the street corner is highly unlikely to be open for interviews.

Internet is needed now for basic stuff. Schools require children to do homework online sometimes. Most job searches/applications now have to be done online. TV is not a necessity. You can watch news online. Phones are necessities for employment and emergencies.

My current government phone won't do much of anything because it was defective. I use the previous deactivated one for wifi and use it to sell off my stuff since I have no income. Even though I have no income, the minimum rent for subsidized housing is $52/month. So, I have to sell off my stuff to keep a roof over my head.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You used to be able to buy one at this Walmart for that cheap. I looked over the phones recently. The cheapest one there was one on clearance for $99.99 that had been $199.99. They got rid of all the cheap ones when they remodeled. I have no idea if this change is at all Walmarts or not. We only have one here in this town. The cheap phones they used to have were much better quality than the ones they give out with these government phones.

It's not.

See my post #25.

I searched online (multiple searches) on the Walmart site picking different north Houston metro stores (what is available through the store, not online) and the cheapest one I saw was $34.88 (as I posted in post #25).

Old 11-06-2019, 08:11 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
I bought a Samsung Galaxy smartphone for $79, which includes 3,000 minutes of talk and text. Even the poor can afford $7 a month.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
In the welfare department many don’t have cell phones but the clients do
Let that soak in

Old 11-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Because someone who sells drugs on the street corner is highly unlikely to be open for interviews.

Internet is needed now for basic stuff. Schools require children to do homework online sometimes. Most job searches/applications now have to be done online. TV is not a necessity. You can watch news online. Phones are necessities for employment and emergencies.

My current government phone won't do much of anything because it was defective. I use the previous deactivated one for wifi and use it to sell off my stuff since I have no income. Even though I have no income, the minimum rent for subsidized housing is $52/month. So, I have to sell off my stuff to keep a roof over my head.
Don't tell me you're comolaining that you're getting a home for $52/month. Taxpayers are paying for the difference. And you also get a free phone? What else? Food stamps, Medicaid? You do realize that half of America is pitching in to support you, I hope. You actually sound annoyed that your free phone was defective and that you're still stuck paying $52 a month for an apartment. Instead of complaining, how about a thank you?

And why have you no income? If you're disabled, you'd get SSDi. If you're not disabled, you could get some sort of job.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many veterans have mental health issues when they get out. They have a high suicide rate and a high homeless rate.
True, but as a retired Army combat veteran, the VA offers so many programs for these veterans in need. The problem, which isn't a real problem is that you to accept the terms of the help and work hard in your own recovery. All a "true" HOMELESS veteran needs to do is go to any VA hospital, prove that he/she was released with either a general or honorable discharge... And agree to rules and attend treatment session. After that, they're housed, fed and treated for their illnesses.

Seriously, most of those homeless "vets" you see are either fakes or service members who received a dishonorable discharge.

Yes, the VA isn't the best thing out there, but they've gotten better over the years and IMHO, do a fair to good job in taking care of true veterans.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I bought a Samsung Galaxy smartphone for $79, which includes 3,000 minutes of talk and text. Even the poor can afford $7 a month.

IF they have credit. Otherwise, not happening on a payment plan. And, when you're poor, there's always an emergency that will drain whatever you've managed to save.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:31 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Don't tell me you're comolaining that you're getting a home for $52/month. Taxpayers are paying for the difference. And you also get a free phone? What else? Food stamps, Medicaid? You do realize that half of America is pitching in to support you, I hope. You actually sound annoyed that your free phone was defective and that you're still stuck paying $52 a month for an apartment. Instead of complaining, how about a thank you?

And why have you no income? If you're disabled, you'd get SSDi. If you're not disabled, you could get some sort of job.
you don't want to hear the truly unique, and sad, story of this poster. They're disabled in numerous ways.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
IF they have credit. Otherwise, not happening on a payment plan. And, when you're poor, there's always an emergency that will drain whatever you've managed to save.
You don't need credit.. what you need to do is save up $79, or less than $7 a month, to buy a phone with minutes. Remember, the poor get a lot of help - subsidized housing, food stamps, health care, transportation, stc. It's easier for them to save money than the lower-middle class, who have to cover their own housing, food, health insurance, transportation, and so forth.

And don't tell me the poor can't save $79 over the course of a year. My grandparents were dirt poor, and had no government assistance. They put aside a few pennies of their paltry income for what was then termed "a rainy day." It took discipline, and sacrifice, but they did it. Now we have poor people thinking they're entitled to other people buying them smartphones when PLENTY of people don't have them themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies