Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 08:37 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Don't tell me you're comolaining that you're getting a home for $52/month. Taxpayers are paying for the difference. And you also get a free phone? What else? Food stamps, Medicaid? You do realize that half of America is pitching in to support you, I hope. You actually sound annoyed that your free phone was defective and that you're still stuck paying $52 a month for an apartment. Instead of complaining, how about a thank you?

How very Victorian of you. Perhaps someone has a garret she can live in - unheated, of course - and she can work as a scullery maid to earn her keep?

Quote:
And why have you no income? If you're disabled, you'd get SSDi. If you're not disabled, you could get some sort of job.

Really, it's none of your business. But you appear to know little about the flaming hoops of elephant dung the poor and disabled have to jump through to get assistance. You have to have worked a certain amount of time to get SSDI, and it can take YEARS to get it approved. SSI has no work requirement, but is pretty strict on what disabilities qualify (or it used to be that way). It's also ~$750 a month.

I have a friend, disabled from her time in the service and her abusive ex, who has trouble with the VA & SS office losing her paperwork. This is no fault of hers; she has electronically transmitted, mailed, and dropped off physical copies of what they tell her to supply. And she's far from alone in dealing with their incompetence.

So rinse the p*ss out of your cornflakes, use some antacid to tamp that bile, and try putting yourself in someone else's shoes. Just because your experience was positive, doesn't mean everyone's was. Things go wrong. People make mistakes.

I recognize I'm likely to get an acid response. That's okay. You use the tools you've got, and that appears to be your only one. I'm sorry you're so bitter and angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you don't want to hear the truly unique, and sad, story of this poster. They're disabled in numerous ways.
Well, if he's disabled - and I'm sorry to hear that - why isn't he getting SSDI? He said he had no income. How is that possible with all the safety nets we have in place?

Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I didn't know the former White House Chief of Staff/former Secretary of the Treasury (Donald Regan) was responsible for any phone plans .

(the former President's last name is Reagan, not Regan.....and no, it wasn't a typo....you did it again 12 posts later)
Yet you understood. It was effective and I didn't have to buy a vowel.
Do we have to be so petty that everything done on the internet is a slight against something?
Sorry next time I'll spell Regan correctly

Ahhhh forget it.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
How very Victorian of you. Perhaps someone has a garret she can live in - unheated, of course - and she can work as a scullery maid to earn her keep?

Really, it's none of your business. But you appear to know little about the flaming hoops of elephant dung the poor and disabled have to jump through to get assistance. You have to have worked a certain amount of time to get SSDI, and it can take YEARS to get it approved. SSI has no work requirement, but is pretty strict on what disabilities qualify (or it used to be that way). It's also ~$750 a month.

I have a friend, disabled from her time in the service and her abusive ex, who has trouble with the VA & SS office losing her paperwork. This is no fault of hers; she has electronically transmitted, mailed, and dropped off physical copies of what they tell her to supply. And she's far from alone in dealing with their incompetence.

So rinse the p*ss out of your cornflakes, use some antacid to tamp that bile, and try putting yourself in someone else's shoes. Just because your experience was positive, doesn't mean everyone's was. Things go wrong. People make mistakes.

I recognize I'm likely to get an acid response. That's okay. You use the tools you've got, and that appears to be your only one. I'm sorry you're so bitter and angry.
So why is he complaining that he's still stuck paying $52 for his apartment? He sounds angry and resentful that other people aren't paying his ENTIRE expenses.

And thanks for schooling me. You sound like an angry person who thinks she knows better than everyone else, and that people who are supporting others, via taxes, have no right to ask why. There are a lot of cheats and lazy people who are ripping off the taxpayer. I'm not saying that poster in particular is, but the way liberals think, anyone who even questions whether or not someone is on the government dole legitimate reasons (or not) gets the liberal smack-down. We are just supposed to hand over our money, no questions asked.

And am I angry? Yes. That's because I hurt my hand today and I have to go for an X-ray tomorrow. Because I was forced into Obamacrap for $900 a month, I am going to be stuck with some godawful bill, whereas before liberals distributed health care from the middle class to the poor, I had good coverage I could afford. And all I hear from liberals is.....awwww.....the poor, we need to give them smartphones.....while they tell the moderate earners to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
yes because all the people with their obamaphones use it strictly for medical appointments and following up on job applications. People can already get cheap cellphones at walmart. Sacrifice one manicure or a couple 40oz beers and boom you have a basic cell phone to make appointments, fill prescriptions, call 911 if ever needed. 20 dollar a month plan unlimited talk and text thru trackphone at walmart.
The program was started under Ronald Reagan...so please refer to them accurately as ReaganPhones. Thank you.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:55 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Don't tell me you're comolaining that you're getting a home for $52/month. Taxpayers are paying for the difference. And you also get a free phone? What else? Food stamps, Medicaid? You do realize that half of America is pitching in to support you, I hope. You actually sound annoyed that your free phone was defective and that you're still stuck paying $52 a month for an apartment. Instead of complaining, how about a thank you?

And why have you no income? If you're disabled, you'd get SSDi. If you're not disabled, you could get some sort of job.
I was on SSI for multiple health problems. I see seven different doctors and am currently on 15 medications. No employer has ever wanted to deal with all of my health problems, so I cannot get a job. In order to take a job an employer has to offer you a job after you fill out the application. Then, in order for me to work a job, the employer has to accommodate all of my health problems. None ever wanted to, and I was only hired for jobs years ago when I managed to conceal the health problems during an interview. As soon as the problems were evident, I was fired. It was not my fault I am sick. I have never did illicit drugs. I have never smoked. I have been sick since I was born. I had no control over it. I should not be punished for something I have no control over. All I can do is fill out an application with as much information as I can. If I don't get a job offer after being truthful then it's not my fault. I did everything humanly possible to make myself employable. I have not received a job offer since I was fired from my last job on December 24, 2009. How could anyone with any common sense look over my medical records and see all that is wrong with me and think any employer would hire and retain me with all of those health problems and a ten year job gap, especially when all the jobs prior to the gap had me getting fired quickly because of all of those health problems?

My father tried to get control over my SSI and failed. He then submitted a letter to the SSA claiming I was a fraud. He wrote it as though my daughter wrote it, but it is obvious that he wrote it. The SSA passed it on to the attorney general's office. The attorney general's office dispatched at least four investigators to follow me around during 2016 and 2017. They couldn't find anything, so they made stuff up. I was cut off disability in April 2019 on lies. I appealed, but I receive no income. It can take years for the Appeals Council to make a decision. The vocational expert even ruled out all jobs and couldn't name a job I could do, but I lost anyway. I should be grateful for having people lie against me and cut off all chance of survival?

Eventually, I will run out of things to sell. I will either be thrown into the streets to die or I will die in my bed before they legally throw me out. There is no means for me to survive legitimately if I run out of funds before my name is cleared. Plus, if I do not win the appeal before my lease is up then I am likely to be thrown out even if I do have a way to come up with the $52/month. I live in housing for disabled and elderly people. I already was in the process of signing the lease renewal when this happened to me, so they let me stay for the rest of the lease so long as I pay the rent. That doesn't mean they will renew the lease again.

Yes, I get food stamps because one of the professionals I see was kind enough to sign a form saying I wasn't able to work. Otherwise, I was going to be thrown off food stamps for being unable to work 20 hours/week. I have never been able to consistently work every week. All it takes is one Crohn's flare up and I could be out for weeks. When I was in college I had a flare up that lasted over three months and I ended up having to drop out of school and appeal to get back into the school the following semester. I was often having to drop out of college for my medical problems. My medical problems are diagnosed and well documented. It should be obvious to anyone that no employer will ever put up with all of that when employers want someone reliable. I've even been turned down for every volunteer position I applied for as an adult because I am so unhealthy. I'm so medically unstable that society won't even allow me to give my labor away for free. I have no power to force an employer to employ me. I cannot even prevent my body from getting sick.

I was initially cut off Medicaid when I lost the SSI income, but the food stamp office gave me that back. I am on some expensive medications. The IV treatment alone costs over $5k for one treatment. During some months it may cost over $10k in medical treatment to keep me alive. I almost died last year because my doctors I had at the time refused to treat me because of the fraud investigation. My Crohn's doctor had refused to treat me basically from 2016 until the time I left his care for a new doctor out of town in 2018. I had to go to another town to receive life saving medical treatment because the doctors here ignored obvious problems. I was in the hospital for nearly a week and had the inflammation not gone down some they were going to remove some of my colon and keep me in the hospital even longer.

I am not guilty of any wrongdoing, so why should I be punished? Until there is a way to hold employers accountable for not hiring those with multiple health problems then those who are physically ill through no fault of their own should not be forced to die in the streets. Society lies about me and claims I refuse to work with no proof other than I am jobless. They should have to prove that I am employable in the first place. They should have to prove that employers offered me work and I turned it down. They cannot do that because it didn't happen. I didn't refuse to work. Society refused to employ me.

Now, even though they cut me off, they have dispatched people to follow me around again. I figure they're trying to go for a criminal case now since I am appealing. I go to my appointments and they take pictures of me coming and going from the place. They follow me to the store taking pictures of me entering and leaving the store. That's what they did before years ago too from 2016 to 2017. If they pursue that then taxpayers get to foot the bill for that investigation and a criminal trial too for someone with documented health problems. My former attorney figured the previous investigation could've reached six figures, but that it was definitely in the high thousands. Legal aid doesn't help anyone past the ALJ stage, so I am on my own for the rest of the appeal.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
How much are the ones taxpayers give to these low-income people? And really, if a person can buy a smartphone for $30, he should pay for it himself. C'mon, people! And don't tell me that low-income people can't come up with a one-time payment of $30. They already don't have to pay for health insurance, they get subsidized housing, their kids get free breakfasts and lunches, they get food stamps, they get tax "refunds" (in quotes because they're not paying any taxes, so it's an additional form of welfare), they get free public transportation, etc.

Low-income people today live just as well as someone earning $50,000 once you consider that the $50k person has to lay market rent, buy his own food, pay for his own health insurance, pay his own bus fare, and buy his own cell phone and minutes. What's the incentive to work your way up from public assistance if you end up no better off - or even worse off?

What is considered low income? You don't have to pay for health insurance but you do sometimes have to pay for your health. I had to pay to get my teeth pulled and I was supposed to not have to pay for teeth cleaning because it turns out I had a small allotment but I ended up having to pay for that too because the dentist lied to me. Also if you're against a lot of allopathy like me, paying for your remedies aren't cheap.
Free health insurance is also sometimes you get what you pay for. Urgent care still says I owe them because the health insurance did not pay for my visit. I'm not paying it no matter what but it probably doesn't help my credit. Maybe that's why it went down 2 points.

Subsidized housing is BS too. Thanks to Trump the amount that they have alloted me goes down and I probably won't be able to move out of state now because of them. They never got back to us about notice so we can't even arrange notice. They have that stupid rule about how you can't move in the middle of the month. Now it's too late to tell them at the beginning of the month due to the fact they haven't got back to me. Also even if I could get them to answer it's still complicated because while you can technically move wherever you want landlords still get away with refusing people on section 8. Not to mention if you want to move you still have to pay for your moving expenses yourself and they will help with downpayment only slightly and you can't make a profit on it if they are helping you with your mortgage.

I don't get food stamps. They claim I don't work enough hours a week. Apparently it has to be every week which is ironic because if I worked more than 20 hours a week every week I would make too much to qualify. What world do you live in where we don't pay any taxes? I always pay taxes. It's shown on my pay stub and there's also taxes on things you buy. We get free public transportation? I don't think you do although I don't use public transportation anymore but when I did I had to pay the small amount of bus fare like everyone else. Also while it is cheap to go on the bus, it doesn't save you because that's time you could be making money. When I went on the bus, I was on it all day for ONE doctor's appointment. It also limits you where you can work and when you can work if you go that route because of shut down hours and limited routes.

That 50 K person can probably at least easily qualify for a moderately priced home mortgage. I'm told it's going to be really difficult with my amount of income.

You're right there's little incentive to work your way up though but that's a matter of a few dollars per hour so again it depends on what you consider low income.

It doesn't really matter to me because I have the same smartphone I've had since 2013 but sounding like a commercial "it's only 30 dollars" is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
The Christian Right doesn’t care what happens to poor people or their issues or problems / what ever happens -just dont touch their hard earned dollar! I think they really wish all would just die or something and only self-reliant, semi-rich, healthy American born people lived around them.
That's probably true but irrelevant to this thread. We're just talking about a phone because while it is essential to modern society it isn't that dire.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:14 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Poor people can’t afford cellphones, I thought. A landline is much cheaper. Nothing is free.
Comparatively, landlines are expensive as all out to install and run. A cheap handset with limited minutes on a network that's already in place? Cheap to the point of being insignificant.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Why on earth is it necessary to provide a SMARTPHONE when a cheap flip phone that MAKES CALLS will do everything they need to do with a PHONE. If they want the internet pay for it or go to the library.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:44 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
How much are the ones taxpayers give to these low-income people?
Practically free. Cellphones have a short shelf life - the model that sold poorly 2 years ago is essentially trash. Pay disposal fees for battery & electronic waste, or hand it to a low-income person? Decisions, decisions...

The cost is administration and extra load on the network, which is pretty trivial - 1000 minutes of voice and 2 GB of 3G per month.

Quote:
Low-income people today live just as well as someone earning $50,000...
Tosh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies