Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:35 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When did a phone become a right?
It is not a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 05:36 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I am sure when I go to Twitter, that AOC, Ilhan, Pressley, and Rashida #squad are screaming bloody murder over this headline.

By the way - when one wonders why others think the media is biased - here's a great example. Poor Leonard really looks like his talking to a medical provider in the photo.
Or you can read the article and see the absolute inanity of providing this to 9MM people.

250 minutes and 2GB of data for $9.25. And the cell phone companies fell all over themselves to enroll them as clients?

Who's at fault here - the government saying "hmmm. why are so many enrolled that shouldn't be?" or those big evil corporations that progressives seem to love so much?
The phone companies are required to offer the service.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:36 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Sure, its much more cost effective to have this guy go by ambulance to the emergency room a couple times a month than to have a 20 dollar cellphone that helps him manage his own care.
Of course righties don't really care if he dies in the gutter because no doubt he made bad choices and deserves to be there and has it coming.

And he probably didn't eat right. That's another conservative talking point. To them every disease known to man is caused by poor dietary choices.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:37 PM

62,965 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Poor people can’t afford cellphones, I thought. A landline is much cheaper. Nothing is free.
Why a smart phone anyway? They are pretty expensive. A simple flip phone should do.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:41 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And lefties don't care that he does both.

Since he has the phone, he can keep it and just connect where there is public wifi. It's not like he needs to schedule appointments and order prescriptions immediately, wherever he is, ten times a day.
This ^^^^^. I can afford any cell phone with any plan, and I stopped having a traditionally wired landline almost 20 years ago, and I've had cell phones for over 25 years (and have had at least one smartphone for at least 7 years I think), yet I still choose not to have a data plan on my smartphones, and only got a mobile data plan for the first time in June when I bought a 3rd Gen 12.9" Cellular iPad Pro.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
How much are the ones taxpayers give to these low-income people? And really, if a person can buy a smartphone for $30, he should pay for it himself. C'mon, people! And don't tell me that low-income people can't come up with a one-time payment of $30. They already don't have to pay for health insurance, they get subsidized housing, their kids get free breakfasts and lunches, they get food stamps, they get tax "refunds" (in quotes because they're not paying any taxes, so it's an additional form of welfare), they get free public transportation, etc.

Low-income people today live just as well as someone earning $50,000 once you consider that the $50k person has to lay market rent, buy his own food, pay for his own health insurance, pay his own bus fare, and buy his own cell phone and minutes. What's the incentive to work your way up from public assistance if you end up no better off - or even worse off?
In my post that you responded to above I wasn't jumping in on the side of the government provided phones. I just found it astounding that you know a lot of people who are eschewing smartphones re the expense (when you can buy one new for $30), and I was responding to that.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:48 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Really? Not when you attach it to a house, which you need to get one.
I think you can get one in an apartment too......

Old 11-05-2019, 05:49 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Basic cell phones being accessible with limited usage is fine. But nobody should have a free phone to use to text and play games and listen to music on. Same with internet service. Basic low cost( not free) usage that doesn't let you do much. Or pay more if you want better.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Poor people can’t afford cellphones, I thought. A landline is much cheaper. Nothing is free.
You can buy a flip phone (cell phone) for $10 and keep it connected for $100 per year....without any government program.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
just an FYI but the $5 or $6 in taxes/fees you see listed at the end of your phone bill is what pays for this.
If they cut a bunch of people...where is that money going now I wonder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies