Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:17 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
With the amount of non-contract phones you can get at local grocery stores, the "I cannot afford a cell phone" complaint from poor people should be lessened. Now, the quality or features of those cheap phones can bettered if you have the money. For the emergency services feature, I am not sure how those fare on those cheap phones!
For $79, a person get get a Samsung Galaxy smartphone that includes 1500 minutes of talk and 1500 minutes of text - with a full 12 months of service. That comes to less than $7 a month. These people are already having us subsidiE their rents, pay for their health care, provide food stamps, give breakfast and lunch to their kids, free transportation, subsidized utilities, and on and on.

They can come up with a lousy $7 a month instead of making other people pay it. Enough with this entitlement attitude. And don't tell me about "they'll have to skip lunch". Even if that were true, so what? They can have a bowl of soup at lunch for $1 ONE time a month to pay for their phone. I skip lunch plenty of times, and probably will again today. I'll live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 09:21 AM

193 posts, read 69,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Excuse you hood rats? Many are veterans on food stamps etc
As a veteran myself I don't understand why so many people think veterans get out of the military and are automatically failures at life who immediately run down to the welfare office to get food stamps. I'm a single mom, got out of the military in 2014, used my GI bill to pick up a couple of degrees and now have a pretty good job, being a veteran is not an excuse to stop providing for yourself

Old 11-06-2019, 09:46 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Sure, its much more cost effective to have this guy go by ambulance to the emergency room a couple times a month than to have a 20 dollar cellphone that helps him manage his own care.
Of course righties don't really care if he dies in the gutter because no doubt he made bad choices and deserves to be there and has it coming.
Citing one case does not justify everyone getting cell phones.

Liberals look at a problem and say, how can we nurture this to support our narrative.

To that end, they see an issue impacting a small per cent of the population and instead of addressing that manageable segment, they overturn the lives of the majority of people satisfied with their situation.

would hate to be in a survival situation with a liberal.

Old 11-06-2019, 09:48 AM

5,980 posts, read 2,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Who told you that ?

This new program was approved in 2016 by Democrats to eliminate fraud.
The quote from the article is the first clue. I assumed people that comment here read the article.

Quote:
The Federal Communications Commission began subsidizing home phone lines in 1985 to provide “the opportunities and security that phone service brings†to people who cannot afford it, according to the FCC’s website. The program started including cellphone plans in 2005.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:07 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The quote from the article is the first clue. I assumed people that comment here read the article.

Yes I assumed that as well. And here's a quote from that article about this verification program.
It's not Trump's doing. Trump is not the one who is ending this program.
In 2017 the GAO said over 1/3 of the subscribers could not prove eligibility.

The verification system was approved by the FCC in 2016, when Democrats controlled the commission.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:12 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That program gives out smartphones? Lots of people I know can't afford to buy a smartphone and they're sticking with "dumb" ones. Why should they have to pay for smartphones for poor people?
Because people hate Trump.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That program gives out smartphones? Lots of people I know can't afford to buy a smartphone and they're sticking with "dumb" ones. Why should they have to pay for smartphones for poor people?
Yes because in 2016 the Democrat led commission approved mobile broadband data for lifeline subscribers.

From the OP link:

The FCC expanded the Lifeline data plan in 2016 to include broadband internet access. In the same reform order, the commission also created the national verifier and offered incentives for providers to include high-speed internet access in their Lifeline packages.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I get requiring the phone companies to offer. I don't get subsidizing the phone companies for folks that don't have a need.
People must qualify to get one. They must be on welfare or disability.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
As a veteran myself I don't understand why so many people think veterans get out of the military and are automatically failures at life who immediately run down to the welfare office to get food stamps. I'm a single mom, got out of the military in 2014, used my GI bill to pick up a couple of degrees and now have a pretty good job, being a veteran is not an excuse to stop providing for yourself
Many veterans have mental health issues when they get out. They have a high suicide rate and a high homeless rate.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:36 AM

Smartphones are not expensive, You can buy one at Walmart for $30. I doubt that these bought in volume are that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies