Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 11:12 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Employee-based healthcare is heavily subsidized. Maybe we should discontinue that subsidy and see how many people could afford the real cost of healthcare on their own. The vast majority of Americans would find themselves without it pretty quickly.
Yep, COBRA is the real price of the employer subsidized plan, and it's usually 4x or more the employees contribution while still employed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 11:21 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Employee-based healthcare is heavily subsidized. Maybe we should discontinue that subsidy and see how many people could afford the real cost of healthcare on their own. The vast majority of Americans would find themselves without it pretty quickly.
What is peoples' deal with employers subsidizing health insurance as if it's a bad thing???

It's cool when tax dollars pay for health care but when an employer subsidizes it it's a bad thing?

Old 11-10-2019, 11:29 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,366,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB328 View Post
No it isn't, a lot of liberal people are quite tolerant, and a lot of conservatives are extremely controlling. I worked in a rural area for 5 years and I thought it was crazy how they flip out over ridiculous things like if someone doesn't take their hat off when they come inside, and of course they don't want anyone to have sex but then their kids all get pregnant in their teens. And of course you aren't allowed to question christianity, wars, capitalism, Israel and a bunch of other subjects in conservative rural areas, so nowhere is perfect, and some places are worse than others.
I'm from a rural area and have never met anyone like this. Israel? Nobody I know gives a **** about Israel.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
You're missing the point as well.

The reason that healthcare is so expensive that it needs to be subsidized is government overregulation. The next time you go to your doctor, look at all the people working in the office. They aren't all nurses. Many of them are there simply to make sure that every i gets dotted and every t gets crossed, nothing else. That's because of the government. Healthcare hasn't been a free market since somewhere around 1930, and is the perfect example of how badly the government can screw up the economy. Democrats, under Obama, actually thought that they could fix it by getting the government more involved.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:45 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
What is peoples' deal with employers subsidizing health insurance as if it's a bad thing???
Because it's designed to hide the true costs of the 'care' by shuttling the provider bills sideways through HR, unseen, without health consumers in the rest of the workplace believing everyday use has an impact on costs.

And besieged employers try to compensate for those cost centers by reducing their count, i.e., they hire less.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
McCurtain Cty is the SE corner of Ok and a county official told that there were people there that had never been out of the county.
That is hard to believe, but then I have a friend who grew up in Jackson County and said some people there have never been out of the county. Maybe they never wondered what was on the other side of the hill.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:04 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post

It's cool when tax dollars pay for health care but when an employer subsidizes it it's a bad thing?
It's not the employer subsidizing health insurance, it's the government subsidizing it for the employers so they can pass on that subsidized amount to their employees. Why is that okay, but when the government equally subsidizes it for people buying through the ACA, it's suddenly a bad thing? Why do people who get their health insurance through employers deserve a subsidy but people buying through the exchanges don't?

Old 11-10-2019, 12:15 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
"Early marijuana use associated with abnormal brain function, lower IQ"
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1005160733.htm
Some of those rural red counties didn't have legal liquor by the drink until 2018 when they were forced to do so, due to state wide modernization of alcohol laws. Had they not done that, not even beer could be legally served. 3.2% beer they had been serving legally would no longer be available. Had they been smart for keeping liquor by the drink banned for as long as they did?

By the way, there are still laws against early alcohol use along with early marijuana use not authorized by a doctor.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:52 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How is UC Berkeley a bad choice? It's one of the top non Ivy's in the US

UC Berkeley's ultra-left stupidity has left them with zero credibility. They're unabashedly intolerant, hypocritical and the tripe they teach their students is based on irrational hysteria, not facts. I wouldn't let my child go to that dumpster fire if they paid me. I suspect UC Berkeley grads are going to have a tough time finding jobs after they graduate. I'd bet that Mr. PhD in Philosophy would be flipping burgers for a living if he ever put his big boy pants on and left the sanctuary of the UC Berkeley campus.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
UC Berkeley's ultra-left stupidity has left them with zero credibility. They're unabashedly intolerant, hypocritical and the tripe they teach their students is based on irrational hysteria, not facts. I wouldn't let my child go to that dumpster fire if they paid me. I suspect UC Berkeley grads are going to have a tough time finding jobs after they graduate. I'd bet that Mr. PhD in Philosophy would be flipping burgers for a living if he ever put his big boy pants on and left the sanctuary of the UC Berkeley campus.
The facts contradict your biased opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies