Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 07:35 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That is hard to believe, but then I have a friend who grew up in Jackson County and said some people there have never been out of the county. Maybe they never wondered what was on the other side of the hill.
Why is that hard to believe ? I've heard of people that have grown up in NYC that have never left, or driven a car. Can't confirm this though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:11 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
This sounds like pull up the bootstraps argument that a lot of conservatives make. As a liberal I think it is important that they have access to job opportunities and training in the new economy. They also should have access to affordable subsidized health care, however, a conservative would argue that they need to pull their own weight and shouldn’t rely on subsidies. With mechanized farming and automated manufacturing these traditional job opportunities just aren’t there. Natural gas and horizontal hydraulic fracturing of shale is what killed coal. That and most coal mining is mechanized strip mining that is less labor intensive.
When that same conservative losses their job and can't find another one ... guess where they are headed?

Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
You can't grow food in cities that is any more than a garnish or a salad in some Michelin rated chef's kitchen.

Over half the population in bigger cities is on some form of public assistance. Mid-day subways and sidewalks are flooded with unemployed ones.

Heavy industry is rarely conveniently accessible to larger cities. Those outlying locales are served more directly by rural towns.
I'm thinking people don't want to eat American grown food anymore ... they want to import it, instead and have all rural move to the city. What does that even look like for America?

Old 11-10-2019, 10:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Why is that hard to believe ? I've heard of people that have grown up in NYC that have never left, or driven a car. Can't confirm this though.
LOL, New York City has everything and then some, so I'm not very surprised some people would not feel a need to leave there to broaden their horizons. But Altus, or Idabel, OK, I don't think so. I've been to both towns and don't understand why people wouldn't want to leave the county if just for a visit to see what's on the other side of the hill. It just may be bigger and better, if not greener pastures.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I'm thinking people don't want to eat American grown food anymore ... they want to import it, instead and have all rural move to the city. What does that even look like for America?
NO wonder. The price for a bag of salad made in Mexico has dropped from $1.62 to 92 cents at Wal-Mart. That's gotta be bad news for American growers.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:43 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
LOL, New York City has everything and then some, so I'm not very surprised some people would not feel a need to leave there to broaden their horizons. But Altus, or Idabel, OK, I don't think so. I've been to both towns and don't understand why people wouldn't want to leave the county if just for a visit to see what's on the other side of the hill. It just may be bigger and better, if not greener pastures.
Fair enough. While I couldn't stand being confined in NYC, I certainly don't want to spend time in OK, I was born in KS so just as bad. I can, and plan on staying the rest of my life though in rural Northern lower MI.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:17 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/20...ife-decisions/

And they tell us we vote against our own interests, as if our "interests" belong with people like the above.
And if someone were to bash inner-city blacks for making bad life decisions, he'd be branded as a racist. The liberal double standards persist.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
What makes you think a rural county doesn't have everything a person needs? What is the everything and more that is so important to a persons well being?

Old 11-11-2019, 08:39 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Some of our best rated hospitals are in places like MN and OH, so its not like these are your enormous large city meccas that the OP seems to allude to.

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings

Old 11-11-2019, 11:01 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,194 times
To each his own but I can't imagine leaving my little piece of paradise here in rural/small town Northern New England. I could afford to live almost anywhere and live here by choice because the quality of life is very high. Unlike urban areas we have virtually no crime, so little that we only have a single deputy on duty here 20 hours a week. The other 148 hours of the week someone from the County Sheriff's Dept. or State Police will come should there be an issue, but there almost never is.

Unlike urban areas our rivers and streams are crystal clear and the air is clean. The beauty of our mountains, forests and fields draw urban tourists year round. There is no traffic nor any parking meters. No honking horns or sirens when you're trying to sleep. I buy jumbo eggs from a neighbor for $2 a dozen, and they are of much higher quality than the factory farm eggs Mr. Berkeley likely eats. From the same neighbor I buy their grass fed beef for $4 a pound. I get maple syrup from the farm across the way at $11 a quart and honey for $8 a quart. I make (and mostly give away) my own apple cider and applesauce from my trees that have never had any sprays or treatments and anything that doesn't come out of my gardens and other fruit trees I can get from the local farmer's market.

Most important of all are the people and the small town culture. Most urbanites don't know all of their neighbors let alone know them well. Here we do and we take care of our own. If someone needs help, they'll get help often without even asking. Volunteers, me included, do much of the town's work. My immediate neighbors and I either have keys to each other's homes or we know where to find it if any of us are away and need something checked on and done. If you are sick or away, not to worry, someone will come shovel your snow. Here we have a sense of belonging to a community which is a feeling few urbanites will ever know.

We don't have the amenities of the city nor the job opportunities . Not even close on that one, but we have a high quality of life nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies