Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 05:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Should stores be allowed to sell peanuts?
About 50 or so people die each year from adverse reactions related to peanut consumption.
Heck that makes peanuts are more dangerous than cannabis. Call the cops!!!
Actually, maybe all food should just be banned, since a few people choke on it every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 05:48 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
It would be OK with me if all raw dairy had to be USDA inspected and graded the same way all dairy products are.

The problem with raw milk is it could contain TB bacteria along with a couple of other serious bacterial diseases. Cattle carry some of them without being sick, and others sicken cattle.

Back before the USDA existed, all fresh milk was raw and un-inspected. It was also a popular cheap nutrition source for poor families that added protein to cheap vegetables like potatoes. The milk was often adulterated with dirty water and other stuff to make it even cheaper.

The sales brought on so much TB that once milk was found to be the cause of the outbreaks, the sale of fresh milk was banned in some big cities, and became so notorious as a TB carrier it brought on the invention of canned milk. The canning temperatures kill the dangerous bacteria.

It also created such an uproar that the government created the Dept. of Agriculture's Inspection Service. Once the USDA required pasteurization of all fresh milk and products, the TB disappeared along with all the others.

There was so little demand afterward for raw milk no more regulation was needed. At present, the sellers aren't required to have their milk inspected and graded. So, at the moment, no one knows if any of it is contaminated or not, and the only protection a buy has is a dairy's reputation.

Safety demands something more strict than that. Some of the worst milk sold 100 years ago came from dairies who only promoted themselves as being clean and pure. They got the reputation, but their products never matched their claims.

Today's tuberculosis is more lethal than yesterday's tuberculosis. The bacteria is much more resistant to antibiotics now. But proper heating still kills it.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:55 PM

45,220 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It would be OK with me if all raw dairy had to be USDA inspected and graded the same way all dairy products are.

The problem with raw milk is it could contain TB bacteria along with a couple of other serious bacterial diseases. Cattle carry some of them without being sick, and others sicken cattle.

Back before the USDA existed, all fresh milk was raw and un-inspected. It was also a popular cheap nutrition source for poor families that added protein to cheap vegetables like potatoes. The milk was often adulterated with dirty water and other stuff to make it even cheaper.

The sales brought on so much TB that once milk was found to be the cause of the outbreaks, the sale of fresh milk was banned in some big cities, and became so notorious as a TB carrier it brought on the invention of canned milk. The canning temperatures kill the dangerous bacteria.

It also created such an uproar that the government created the Dept. of Agriculture's Inspection Service. Once the USDA required pasteurization of all fresh milk and products, the TB disappeared along with all the others.

There was so little demand afterward for raw milk no more regulation was needed. At present, the sellers aren't required to have their milk inspected and graded. So, at the moment, no one knows if any of it is contaminated or not, and the only protection a buy has is a dairy's reputation.

Safety demands something more strict than that. Some of the worst milk sold 100 years ago came from dairies who only promoted themselves as being clean and pure. They got the reputation, but their products never matched their claims.

Today's tuberculosis is more lethal than yesterday's tuberculosis. The bacteria is much more resistant to antibiotics now. But proper heating still kills it.
Uh huh lol

Old 11-09-2019, 07:18 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Uh huh lol
Hey- drink it raw if you want to.

I did. My parents were friends with the dairy owners, and I grew up on raw milk.
But the local dairy the milk came from had all their cows tested for TB once a month.

They still are in biz and still testing their cows, and I'm still buying their milk once in a while, but I buy their ice cream more often.

The reason I know about the TB was I asked the original owner why he was drawing blood samples once, when I was a kid. He explained the entire deal I wrote earlier.

Back then, he had to apply for a USDA exemption that allowed him to sell his raw milk. The USDA gave him a set of guidelines, and he followed them all his life. The USDA does surprise inspections on the operation.

His kids now own the dairy, and the test results are still pinned on the board in back of the cash register every month. Anyone can go see the cows being milked and all the equipment and stuff.

As I said- if you drink raw milk, better go check out the dairy.

The problem with raw milk is the possibility of disease contamination, and as unregulated as the health food industry is right now, the milk can come from a respectable dairy, or it could come from some guy with a couple of cows in the back yard who has a bucket who's willing to take any price he can get.

You'll never know the difference by looking at the bottle.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I bought raw milk from an Amish Market in the Poconos yesterday. Daughter wanted it for her sons. She herself is allergic to cows milk and buys almond milk, or goats milk which she has also gotten raw from farms.

This Amish market also sells their own butter, cheese, eggs. chickens, and sausage products. Do you think any of this is FDA inspected?

Remember last year's Romaine lettuce recall? Was that from small farmers or commercial ones?

Old 11-10-2019, 04:36 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'd like to try some raw butter, but it turns out it's illegal where I live.

Do you agree with such restrictions?

Obviously, I'm against the ban. Shouldn't consumers be trusted to do their own research and deal with the risk? It just seems like an odd thing for the government to intervene on.
Yes, it should be legal. Governments should not tell me what I can eat, drink, or smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies