Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 05:22 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
San Antonio is the fastest growing city in terms of raw numbers. It’s a terrible situation there, there is a high proportion of people without healthcare there. According to sources that I’ve read the income disparity between The Hispanic and white population in Texas is a lot higher than it is nationwide. It seems like it’s a situation with a lot of people crossing the border and settling in San Antonio that is bringing up the poverty rate. A lot of areas near the border have higher poverty rates.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/09...levels-decade/
Without insurance, not without healthcare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerge...tive_Labor_Act

Old 11-08-2019, 05:26 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There’s a LOT of poverty in Texas. No one wants to talk about that.
A lot of illegal aliens in Texas.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The OP is right... it's terrible here... please find somewhere else to relocate...
I agree. It's terrible here, just terrible.

Don't even consider it - nothin' to see here.

All the people flooding in here have it wrong.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:36 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Perhaps those cities will vote maga next time. All won and run by D. Thread fail.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016...ction_in_Texas
Yeah, I was about to say just that. And it's mostly run now by either those who are from South of the border or migrating from California. Just like here in Florida, a Republican state thanks to mostly the west coast and panhandle, but South Florida, controlled by democrats, is a complete hell hole now.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Texas has about 1.6 million illegals which is a huge part of that poverty problem.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...ants-by-state/
Actually, according to the GOP leaders in Texas they add 10's of billions to the economy....they actually state out loud that they won't do E-Verify because they cannot afford to lose the money!

Given that I don't accept your premise...unless you claim that the GOP elected representatives desire to make things worse for everyone.

My take is that the super low minimum wage and the lack of more common goals doesn't help the average Texan. This tends to happen in many Resource Based states or countries....where the goods aren't shared.

I think a big place with so much Capital and such a great location can do much better. A lot of Texans feel that way too.

Here's how Texas ranked in all eight categories evaluated:

Crime and Corrections: 27
Economy: 8
Education: 37
Fiscal stability: 17
Health care: 38
Infrastructure: 21
Opportunity: 47
Quality of life: 46

Being #38 in health care and #37 in Education - and almost last in opportunity, etc.....they can do better. MUCH BETTER. And I actually think they will - in the future after the Alex Jones crowd dies out.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:39 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,807,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And getting worse, not better.....

You'd think a big Trump state with all those jobs would be fruitful and headed in the other direction.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/texa...84b401c82.html

"Of the top 25 most populous metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) in the U.S., San Antonio surpassed Detroit in having the highest percentage of people living in poverty, according to U.S. Census data. Houston ranked third highest."

Almost 400K in the San Anton areas living at the poverty line or below.

C'mon, Texans, you can do better. All that oil and gas and industry should allow for just a bit of.......Social Justice.
LOL pretty damn funny since like everyone else has told you, San Antonio is a democrat city.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:41 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Hercules View Post
As a liberal I will say that this was a dumb argument. This doesn’t tell the whole story, just a random cherry-picked story with nothing to back up or support the claim. Plus I don’t think it’s a good thing to root against other areas of the country based off of political affiliation. I think calling out bad policy that leads to certain situations is healthy, but wanting places in red states to fail just because they are in red states is idiotic.
Excellent post, and I agree 100 percent. And it reminds me what is really going, that certain individuals actually want this division among us.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I agree. It's terrible here, just terrible.

Don't even consider it - nothin' to see here.

All the people flooding in here have it wrong.
Can't have it both ways...on one hand I'm told it's "liberals" flooding in and making the cities into hellholes. Then it seems like you are saying something different....that "good people" are coming in droves due to the #48 in Quality of Life.

I know a LOT of people who have moved to the Austin area over the decades...all old hippies and stuff.

Frankly, I doubt that many of the new people moving to TX know a lot about it. If they did they wouldn't buy in a flood plain and get swept away by the first big storm to come along.

Many of the companies that Rick Perry bragged about bringing in go there for the same reason - lower wages. That #47 in opportunity seems to confirm it.

But we are getting off topic. I haven't met anyone in decades who expressed an actual desire to move to Texas for quality of life, etc.

What I posted about and continue to argue is that a big rich state like that should do better in terms of Happiness of the People. You can agree or disagree...but that's my opinion.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:49 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The OP is right... it's terrible here... please find somewhere else to relocate...
Oh, I agree. Everyone needs to go home before it's too late.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
And getting worse, not better.....

You'd think a big Trump state with all those jobs would be fruitful and headed in the other direction.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/texa...84b401c82.html

"Of the top 25 most populous metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) in the U.S., San Antonio surpassed Detroit in having the highest percentage of people living in poverty, according to U.S. Census data. Houston ranked third highest."

Almost 400K in the San Anton areas living at the poverty line or below.

C'mon, Texans, you can do better. All that oil and gas and industry should allow for just a bit of.......Social Justice.
hahahaha A big government city run by democrats. hahahah Your OP is garbage.

Can't wait until your next made up post that you can't and wont defend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies