Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 08:25 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,308,626 times

Advertisements

The Federal Minimum Wage Rate.

The federal minimum wage rate is a minimum rate. States may, and many have enacted a higher minimum within their own jurisdiction.

Delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention determined a federal law was necessary for reducing the economic harm that a U.S. State may deliberately or inadvertently inflict upon any other State, particularly an adjoining state.
The constitution's commerce clause was enabled by delegates from wealthier states agreeing to sacrifice their own states' advantages. Without such compromises, the constitution would not have been ratified and our nation might not have survived to this day. That compromise is no less needed now, as it was in 1787.

If there's no definite legally enforced minimum wage rate, the effective minimum rate's an indefinite theoretical market-determined rate that may and likely will, (in the absence of labor shortages), too often race down to an “extremely poor bottom”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post

The federal minimum wage rate is a minimum rate. States may, and many have enacted a higher minimum within their own jurisdiction.

Delegates to the 1787 Constitutional Convention determined a federal law was necessary for reducing the economic harm that a U.S. State may deliberately or inadvertently inflict upon any other State, particularly an adjoining state.
The constitution's commerce clause was enabled by delegates from wealthier states agreeing to sacrifice their own states' advantages. Without such compromises, the constitution would not have been ratified and our nation might not have survived to this day. That compromise is no less needed now, as it was in 1787.

If there's no definite legally enforced minimum wage rate, the effective minimum rate's an indefinite theoretical market-determined rate that may and likely will, (in the absence of labor shortages), too often race down to an “extremely poor bottom”.
You're inferring the Constitution wouldn't have been ratified if there were no minimum wage laws? LMAO
Should we have "compromised" with King George?

The Constitution and our founding is based on rights. No one has a right to a minimum wage,

Old 08-18-2019, 09:11 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Lightbulb The Federal Minimum Wage Rate...

...is way too low.

And Pubs want to keep it there.

After all, they're all about cheap labor and sending your job to China.

The party of corporate welfare.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post

I think it's quaint how suddenly people care about undercutting jobs with low wages after they championed NAFTA, free trade and all the other off-shoring....while supporting illegal immigration that does the same thing.

Secondly, some parts of the country are cheaper to live in than others. Why should the minimum wage in NYC be the same as in Eagleville, MO? Why?

Old 08-18-2019, 10:22 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

...is way too low.

And Pubs want to keep it there.

After all, they're all about cheap labor and sending your job to China.

The party of corporate welfare.

Spoken like a person who doesn't realize that simply because you increase the cost per hour of a job by government fiat doesn't mean that said job is actually worth the increased cost.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Brings up an old political cartoon.

A fast-food manager is standing there, surrounded by his crew. Half a dozen people with brooms, aprons, a spatula etc.

He says, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Old 08-18-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You're inferring the Constitution wouldn't have been ratified if there were no minimum wage laws? LMAO
Should we have "compromised" with King George?

LovesHisCountry, the Constitution and our founding is based on rights. No one has a right to a minimum wage,
I did not infer, I stated, “the constitution's commerce clause was enabled by delegates from wealthier states agreeing to sacrifice their own states' advantages. Without such compromises, the constitution would not have been ratified and our nation might not have survived to this day. That compromise is no less needed now, as it was in 1787”.

Your conclusion of inference from that statement are a matter within your own mind. In this case, your conclusion of inference is not shared by myself and I don't suppose it would be shared by most people. I'm pleased that the law amuses you; humor is healthy.

The federal minimum wage rate has been continuously upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court and the U.S. Congress has not voted to repeal it. That pleases me.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it's quaint how suddenly people care about undercutting jobs with low wages after they championed NAFTA, free trade and all the other off-shoring....while supporting illegal immigration that does the same thing.

Secondly, some parts of the country are cheaper to live in than others. Why should the minimum wage in NYC be the same as in Eagleville, MO? Why?
Mathguy, NYC has its own minimum wage rate that differs from the remainder of NY state which all differ from the federal rate.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Brings up an old political cartoon.

A fast-food manager is standing there, surrounded by his crew. Half a dozen people with brooms, aprons, a spatula etc.

He says, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new minimum-wage law says I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."
If a MW increase was too much for this fast food joint to afford, their past P&L reports should reflect that, they would show a business BARELY surviving...

Have you ever checked out the annual earnings for fast food joints? many are doing EXTREMELY well and can very much afford to pay a MW increase.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think it's quaint how suddenly people care about undercutting jobs with low wages after they championed NAFTA, free trade and all the other off-shoring....
Mathguy, I'm a proponent of the improved trade policy described within Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article; Refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Import_certificates

That species of Import Certificate policy is substantially less government and more market-driven. All direct costs are passed on to USA's purchasers of imported goods and serve as effective indirect price subsidies for USA's exported goods.

The unilateral policy would significantly reduce, if not entirely eliminating our chronic great trade deficits of goods. It would increase our GDP, numbers of jobs and payroll amounts more than otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies