Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 06:07 AM

88,789 posts, read 44,594,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
And the stooges that lick their boots.
Also known as the people who buy their goods and services, thereby VOLUNTARILY making them billionaires.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:14 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,646,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Also known as the people who buy their goods and services, thereby VOLUNTARILY making them billionaires.
Wrong again. Participating in capitalism doesn’t mean I worship those at the top.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:18 AM

57,060 posts, read 26,024,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don’t remember robber barons. Just because someone people are good at accumulating money, it doesn’t make them robber barons.

Michael Jordan was good at playing basketball. Does that make him a bad person?
The Koch brothers, Robert Mercer, Devos and some lesser known billionaires have united to change our government and its not in our interest. Its one thing to accumulate wealth like Ellison, Gates and Bezos but its another thing for billionaires to change our government in a manner that is favorable to their corporations. I don't quite understand why anyone in the middle class would accept this, they are not the beneficiaries of their policies and they have nothing in common.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:21 AM

21,830 posts, read 9,386,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
I take it no-one has any data proving that trickle-down works, yet?

Maybe that’s because it’s a failure of an economic model....

You believers continue to be had.
I can tell you that as an upper income earner, we employ quite a few people.

And by far and way, the biggest expense we have is income taxes.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Wrong again. Participating in capitalism doesn’t mean I worship those at the top.
I didn't say anything about worship. BUT... If you buy their products and/or services, you're VOLUNTARILY making them rich/richer. They have all of that money because you and others WILLINGLY gave them that money in exchange for what they were selling.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 AM

16,960 posts, read 12,534,154 times
Quote:
How did billionaires (Gates, Bezos, etc.) become billionaires? Many people VOLUNTARILY bought their products and services. That is... people VOLUNTARILY made them very rich. Don't like the fact that they have so much more than you or others? Simply STOP buying what they sell.
Then they buy laws to keep them that way and THAT is more of what I am getting at. Gates and Bezos are the B team compared to big pharma for example buying the laws they want. Carried interest deduction. Hedge funds and private equity doing bust outs is another example of the hyper rich exploiting laws custom made for the hyper rich.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:40 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
Quote:
And the stooges that lick their boots.

If those poorly educated, no real job, no real wealth people stop buying the high priced Air Jordans at $300 and instead buy sensible sneakers, Phil Knight and Michael Jordan will be have less millions and billions. No one is forcing anybody to buy things and yet when they do and say they participate in capitalism, they cannot whine people have become rich off those products. Even a $100 sneaker is just money wasted on advertising by those NBA stars who become rich off the backs of these poor saps.

I buy no name or non-athlete endorsed New Balance shoes on markdown clearance at $30 or so and use them for a long time. The money saved is invested in companies that helps grow wealth.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:41 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,646,631 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about worship. BUT... If you buy their products and/or services, you're VOLUNTARILY making them rich/richer. They have all of that money because you and others WILLINGLY gave them that money in exchange for what they were selling.
I also voluntarily vote for those that want the wealthy taxed more than less. The real boot lickers are on the other side.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:42 AM

33,509 posts, read 18,076,105 times
If we had no rich people , we would all be living in poverty. Just think , we have the best supermarkets, our every need and want is here. We can actually live decently with plumbing, air conditioning, and work hard for the American Dream. Without the wealth , there would be no money invested, no jobs, no decent infrastructure . Our tax base would be small and no services available to those Americans that need them.

Capitalism is good. We have a free market that rewards those that invent, innovate, and produce a product that we need want or make life better.

In Communist countries, there is no freedom to create. The government owns you and your ideas never find it to the market place. That is why we in a hundred years became so far advanced. Freedom to Create.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Koch brothers, Robert Mercer, Devos and some lesser known billionaires have united to change our government and its not in our interest. Its one thing to accumulate wealth like Ellison, Gates and Bezos but its another thing for billionaires to change our government in a manner that is favorable to their corporations. I don't quite understand why anyone in the middle class would accept this, they are not the beneficiaries of their policies and they have nothing in common.
Again, it's quite simple to STOP buying the products/services they sell. STOP making the rich with whom you disagree even richer. That's an act you are very free to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.