Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 07:25 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Koch brothers, Robert Mercer, Devos and some lesser known billionaires have united to change our government and its not in our interest. Its one thing to accumulate wealth like Ellison, Gates and Bezos but its another thing for billionaires to change our government in a manner that is favorable to their corporations. I don't quite understand why anyone in the middle class would accept this, they are not the beneficiaries of their policies and they have nothing in common.
None of them put a gun on your head and force you to give them your money.

You and billions of others (myself included) VOLUNTARILY give them money and enrich them in exchange for their goods and services which enrich our own life.

You do not voluntarily pay for a product or service that does NOT bring you MORE value than your money is worth.

Think hard and carefully about the sentence above and your life will change for better.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
This isn’t about you. It’s about them. Their top dog won’t even show us his tax returns.
What? Do you even know what SALT is and how it works?

The rich is disproportionately and negatively impacted by SALT. They often buy expensive properties and used to put up their mortgage and property tax as deductible.

Now they can’t.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:28 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,650,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They're getting richer because many people VOLUNTARILY make them richer when they BUY the products/services they're selling. STOP buying their products/services. That's an action you and the other inequity whiners can take that will actually make a difference. BUT... will you do so?
Nope. I want to see them taxed fairly. If they don’t like being taxed, they can take their business elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:29 AM

88,953 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
None of them put a gun on your head and force you to give them your money.

You and billions of others (myself included) VOLUNTARILY give them money and enrich them in exchange for their goods and services which enrich our own life.

You do not voluntarily pay for a product or service that does NOT bring you MORE value than your money is worth.

Think hard and carefully about the sentence above and your life will change for better
Exactly! But will they EVER get that?

Old 11-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Nope. I want to see them taxed fairly. If they don’t like being taxed, they can take their business elsewhere.
You still don't get it. No surprise ... Whatever they're charged in additional taxes is recouped by charging higher prices on the goods/services they sell and the masses VOLUNTARILY continue to buy.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Define “fairly.”

Currently the top 10% is paying virtually all the taxes while the bottom 50% pays zilch, nada and zero.

Think about this. I am by no means rich but my tax alone is more than 50% of Americans combined!!!!

How is that remotely fair?

Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Exactly! But will they EVER get that?
They aren’t driven by logic but rather by insane jealousy.

I have never seen a rich person, if not inherited the money, who hasn’t put in an enormous amount of effort to accumulate his or her wealth. Even a dictator would have to work for it.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They aren’t driven by logic but rather by insane jealousy.
They're driven by "feelings" , NOT logic. And that's why they'll always stumble and fail. Yet, they can't see that. So they flail against forces that they themselves have created. They're the cognitive equivalents of toddlers.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:37 AM

57,211 posts, read 26,166,435 times
Quote:
Again, it's quite simple to STOP buying the products/services they sell. STOP making the rich with whom you disagree even richer. That's an act you are very free to do.
Its not just about wealth although income disparity is definitely, its the influence of lobbyists on our democracy that are funded by billionaires for their own self interests. Think about oil & gas, pharmaceutical, financial lobbies, they aren't after the best interest of our citizens. Pro-business lobbies could care less about the middle class.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:48 AM

15,812 posts, read 6,523,439 times
In the end, there can only be one. He will control our future. Every factory, service, delivery system, mine, network, farm, bridge, and road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.