Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,473,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Hmm.. you equate it with slavery? Care to back up these claims. Your non-aggression principle doesn't play out in the real world. Do you believe in open borders? If you don't then you are for the government restricting the free movement of labor and support their interference in the market.
What would you call confiscating people’s lawfully owned property to support yourself?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:13 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,203,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If I pay more taxes than you, but my vote counts the same as yours.

How is that moral, just or fair?
The uber wealthy don't have the same proportional power as the everyday joe blow. They have access to lobbyists who work in their favor. They have access to the politicians ears. They gain more value from the infrastructure and government R&D and spending than the average consumer. You have provided no data to back up that this doesn't exist. If I pay a higher proportion of my income on taxes, such as regressive taxes on essential items, how is that fair? We can keep playing this game all day.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...ic-government/

Old 11-13-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
What would you call confiscating people’s lawfully owned property to support yourself?
I would call it living in a society where we have agreed upon basic services that a society provides. It seems like you have an issue with democracy. Is there a different form of government that you believe in? It also seems like you have no issue of robbing people of opportunity when power and wealth is concentrated in few hands in certain sectors and we get fewer and fewer choices to make in our market place.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
The uber wealthy don't have the same proportional power as the everyday joe blow. They have access to lobbyists who work in their favor. They have access to the politicians ears. They gain more value from the infrastructure and government R&D and spending than the average consumer. You have provided no data to back up that this doesn't exist. If I pay a higher proportion of my income on taxes, such as regressive taxes on essential items, how is that fair? We can keep playing this game all day.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...ic-government/
Nonsense. Every politician has been democratically elected. How can anybody buy politicians?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:19 AM

28,982 posts, read 14,317,975 times
Was having a discussion with a relative. She claims know one can earn a billion dollars. I then asked her if she didn't think Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Paul Allen or Bill Gates didn't earn their money. Her response was not without shorting others on the way up. WTF ?

I had no words. Where do people come up with this thought process ? And this person is an educator. Hopefully her ideology doesn't get pushed onto the children.

Why are the successful evil ? I just don't get it. Now, I can understand some animosity towards trust fund babies, but those that have created something, I don't get.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. Every politician has been democratically elected. How can anybody buy politicians?
Really? You don't think this exists. You don't think they push forth for certain interests once they are elected due to campaign donations and finances? So you don't have an issue with democracy, or do you?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Do you have an issue when a corporation uses their power to get out of paying a lower effective rate on taxes? Do you have an issue when a government get's involved in property disputes and reinforces private property rights?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:28 AM

8,020 posts, read 3,589,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I doubt it. The top 400 US 1040 filers (minimum income: $128 million) pay an average effective federal income tax rate of a little over 23%.

What's your household's effective federal income tax rate?
It's none of your business.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Really? You don't think this exists. You don't think they push forth for certain interests once they are elected due to campaign donations and finances? So you don't have an issue with democracy, or do you?
If the politicians do that, they would be fired by the voters. If they aren’t fired, it means the voters approve their actions.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
It's none of your business.
LOL!!! But it’s your business to whine about other people’s money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies